Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #421
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Although I never smoked, your pic above definitely will make me never start..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #422
Administrator

What wonderful news! Thanks for the update.

Out of the hospital the same day, and possibly cancer free? This is going to be the best holiday season ever for you and your family.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #423
Give me a forum ...

Such wonderful news....smooth sailing through the surgery, clear reports at this point AND you got to go home early to sleep in your own bed.

Now...make sure you cover up and stay warm...I hear it gets cold in your neck o' the woods...

Sleep and heal well my friend.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #424
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations ! You are probably sleeping a lot because of the anesthesia and the stress leading up to the procedure . It's great news that the biopsies were negative . What a great Christmas present !
Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #425
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ratface, Rewahoo and Financedude: I must admit that the pic is scary, but... something is terribly wrong with me- It won´t dissuade me from smoking. I´m not boasting, I am ashamed of myself. For the moment I can´t see myself being able to kick the habit.
Ratface, if your suffering and courage won´t make me quit....
So very very glad of your news!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #426

I know I made an audible sucking in sound when I saw that photo. Glad I don't smoke, also.
Glad you are doing so well, Ratface!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #427
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations ratface, you have done really well! It's amazing to think that procedures that would have required a week's hospital stay years ago can now be done as day surgery. I am not in the least surprised that you are sleepy; in fact I wasn't expecting you to surface so quickly!

John Mellencamp's 14 year old son has started a Facebook petition to get his dad to stop smoking. JM has promised to quit if there are 1 million signatures. Last evening I heard a discussion on the radio about this. The presenters were discussing how JM should have plenty of motivation from his son who obviously cares about him, that the 1 million signatures is just an excuse. I think that's probably true; he's badly addicted and this is just one of an addict's strategies.

Bottom line: don't smoke!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #428
Give me a forum ...

If you ever want to be cured from smoking just spend a few hours at a Pulmonologist's office . If that doesn't do it nothing will .
Old 12-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #429
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you got through this big hurdle. I'll keep my fingers crossed pending the biopsy report.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #430
Moderator Emeritus

Ratty, I have to say I looked at your photo and saw lots of hope. Thank goodness there is treatment and you have a good outcome to anticipate. Bless the medical professionals who are treating you.

Personally I would be continuing to enjoy the prescription painkillers as a little bonus from having to go through this ordeal .
Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #431
Give me a forum ...

Hey there RF. The pic doesn't look too bad. I expected a lot worse. But then again it is YOUR nerve endings that are attached to those incisions, not mine. You are one tough dude.

I'm not here too much lately posting, but I am reading. Glad to see you have crossed yet another hurdle.

I hope you are doing well.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #432

Wowser, that picture is probably more effective than any words could ever be. Hope you recover from your surgery quickly and take as much rest as you need.

Vincent, what is your attachment to smoking that makes you so firm about not giving up? Not being judgemental, just wondering why.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #433

Fantastic news Ratty - hopefully the results of the biopsies will turn out to be even more god news.

Both my parents were smokers (Dad still is). Mam got throat cancer and one thing that used to amaze me when I would visit her in hospital was the number of patients in dressing gowns stood outside or sat in wheelchairs smoking away. Even though Dad never got cancer (at least not yet) he has suffered badly from Peripheral Artery Disease this last few years and neither Mum's horrible suffering and death (back in '94 - '95) or his own problems he has never for one minute even considered, let alone attempted, giving up.

Although I don't personally understand the desire to continue smoking, I know and have known plenty in my family where it just is what it is and they will smoke no matter what might or actually is happening to their health. I just feel extremely fortunate to have escaped that family trait.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #434
Give me a forum ...

Ratface,

I'll add my happy congratulations for your cancer-free diagnosis. Your doctors and family members deserve congratulations, too, but you are the one with the courage. Not just to go through the procedures - but to show and tell about it, too! I hope the chemo and radiation do not leave any long-term effects, and of course I hope that all the excised lymph nodes are clean.

Maybe you should go on the road as an anti-smoking motivational speaker. You could bring your radiation mask, feeding tube, and graphic photos as motivational "exhibits." They've certainly scared the bejazus out of your friends on the forum!

Amethyst
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Ratface,
Maybe you should go on the road as an anti-smoking motivational speaker. You could bring your radiation mask, feeding tube, and graphic photos as motivational "exhibits." They've certainly scared the bejazus out of your friends on the forum!
Here's someone who did exactly that. She was very inspirational, RIP.

CBC News - Indepth Backgrounder: Barb Tarbox
Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #436
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
Damn man, you have been through the mill. Glad to hear it is all looking good for you. Just think, 2009 is almost over. A tough year but a fresh new year just around the corner. I hope you plan to treat yourself to a nice vacation trip somewhere.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #437
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm feeling much stronger today. I think the anesthesia really lingers on as Moemg mentioned. I don't know what they put in that stuff but it's not tylenol number #3. I really wasn't stressed about the operation, well not to the point of physical side effects. I had reseached and studied the procedure and sought it out as opposed to my initial ENT who was not in favor of it. So Rich if the biopsies find cancer then I made the right decision. I would rather see them negative but that wasn't the point of the procedure. Cancer remains in 25% of patients who undergo chemo and radiation. Those odds were just too high for me. Meadbh, this operation in it's radical form used to require a week in intensive care, thank-God for medical advances. I have zero pain and am not on any pain meds. Damn good surgeon. Vicente i'm just busting your balls, I can't be that hypocritical after I smoked all those years. Perhaps someday? Dawg52, was watching a television show called road trip where they traveled through Mt. Rushmore, and ended up at Yellowstone in a red convertible. I could do that. I'm almost certain I'll retire early next year and start smelling every rose I see for as long as I can!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #438
Give me a forum ...

Once again, thanks for your update. I'm so glad you are feeling stronger. I believe each day will get better and better for you.
Let's get an early start on those roses....
Old 12-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #439
Give me a forum ...

You are an inspiration to me..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:27 PM   #440

Good friends of ours are chain-smoking fiends and they are heavy drinkers. They are destroying their health and are ultimately going to destroy our friendship if they don't stop smoking, at least when we are together. Although they only smoke on their screened patio and not in the house, DH and I are still getting exposed to second-hand smoke when we are all out on the porch. When we lived in OH and only saw them a couple times a year, it was manageable. Now that we live in FL and see them every couple of weeks, our exposure to second-hand smoke has increased dramatically. Of course, we must draw the line soon about them smoking in our presence and harming our health as well as theirs.

I copied your post and picture and sent it to each of them in an email with the title, "I don't want this to happen to my friends!" Your message may not work on Vincente but it has helped me open the discussion with my friends to protect their health as well as ours. Glad to hear you are feeling better and things are going well.