Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #521
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RF

Seems you are managing to get in a step or two, out of the limbo by seeing therapists. At least they do look like good steps to me.

Maybe some good news from our end may help. DW is now little over 1 yr symptom free, post lobectomy for lung cancer which was 1A.

Rooting for your continued recovery.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

IS99 and 2soontotell
Old 03-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #522
Recycles dryer sheets

IS99 and 2soontotell

Is99 that is terrific news about your DW. It does help because as you know that is what has me spooked, the lung mets. I have done some reading on that procedure and what the two of you have gone through emotionally must be a wild rollercoaster for sure. Continued clear scans for her!!

2soon2tell you just continue to inspire me, nothing more I can say there. I feel like a novice compared to you.

I will terminate the work related therapist at my next session.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #523
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree with whoever's doctor said that for any one person it's either 0% or 100% survival. I was told I had a 30% chance of my cancer returning - for the rest of my life. It no longer worries me. But I don't assume I will live long, or have great health until I'm 90, or whatever.

You have to somehow balance it all and throw out the depressing stuff as best you can.

And RF - glad to hear you found a better therapist. Hope you'll feel better as a result.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #524

Same numbers game with birth control pills. They are 9X.XX% effective but if you are the one who gets pregnant it's a 100% failure of the drug!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Same numbers game with birth control pills. They are 9X.XX% effective but if you are the one who gets pregnant it's a 100% failure of the drug!
I love it! It's the ooooops factor.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #526
Recycles dryer sheets

one half step forward

It is truely humbling to see how many of you have been touched by cancer in your personal lives and your sharing of personal experiences is very helpful to me. It reminds me of how routine cancer is treated. I will never lose that mental image of 12 lazy boys all filled with people getting different degrees of chemo. It all seemed so routine. Someone getting infused while watching Jeopardy. It just seemed bizarre. I often feel my life has gone into a slow motion phase where I can just sit and watch the world go by. Not totally a bad thing but can't stay here forever.

In that regard I have submitted my retirement papers electronically and have a confirmed receipt in hand. I'm committed. I am very glad to have returned , if only for a short time as I would have missed out on some great moments with some very good people. Through many conversations I have learned that at this point in my life time is more valuable than money. The scales have tipped for me personally. I have to move forward, like it or not the next stage of my life is about to begin. As of May 15th I'm officially retired in one of the worst economic times in history. How ironic that in 1982 we were facing the same crisis when I was hired. 23 years old, just out of the Army, ready to take on the world and scared of nothing. How life has changed! They say that "Hope springs eternal" and I'm just going with that thought for the moment. One half step forward today. Perhaps bigger shoes will get me further.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 AM   #527
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
As of May 15th I'm officially retired in one of the worst economic times in history.
RF, I'd amend that statement to say "...I'm officially retired after we survived one of the worst economic scares in history."

My thinking is, just like your situation, the worst is over and we're well into the recovery phase. Yeah, there are things we need to be concerned about but it is likely we (you) have seen the worst and we need to keep moving forward.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 AM   #528
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only. --Charles Dickens
Or the Chinese Curse -- "May you live in interesting times."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #529
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
23 years old, just out of the Army, ready to take on the world and scared of nothing.
I missed your first mention of the Army.

I understand your thoughts about how this cancer occurred, but if you haven't already done so then I'd strongly suggest that you contact the VA for a screening to see if your cancer could in any way be considered a service-connected disability.

Another option would be to go to one of the veteran's boards like Military.com,
TogetherWeServed.Army.com,
Physical Evaluation Board Forum,
Veterans Benefits Network - Message Board Yuku, or even
Grunt's Military Site - Your Online Resource for Military Info
You'd have to share the history of where you were and what you did, but it's possible that you'll find another veteran with more info.

I know it seems highly unlikely that a service-connected cancer could take 25 years to show up, but it happens. Even military families have been unwittingly exposed to carcinogens while living in military housing.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
RF, I'd amend that statement to say "...I'm officially retired after we survived one of the worst economic scares in history."

My thinking is, just like your situation, the worst is over and we're well into the recovery phase. Yeah, there are things we need to be concerned about but it is likely we (you) have seen the worst and we need to keep moving forward.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. I RE'ed this year, but it could easily have happened 2 or 3 years ago - just before, or just into the "The Great Recession".

Is it officially called The Great Recession" or did I just hear someone call it that on TV or radio? Reminds me of this discussion back in '94

Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #531
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
time is more valuable than money
A lesson that should be learned by all of us.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #532
Recycles dryer sheets

CT scans and retirement

Wow what a week. Monday had my six month CT scans. Wednesday signed my retirement papers. Some things in life go together, peanut butter and jelly, warm fires and snowy evenings, but CT scans and retirement in most instances should never be contemplated in the same week. I suppose I need to back up to Tuesday. I was having counter tops cut and installed in the kitchen and they cut the sink opening 13 inches off. What a great day it was. My Ct scans once again show no cancer in the head, neck, and abdomen area. Those pesky lung spots continue to be pesky but showed no change in size, no new spots, and stable. Fantastic news!!! Stable no change when it comes to cancer is all that I hoped for and received. My oncologist was so impressed that he is moving my next scan back a month. Now instead of every three months I go every four months. I'm estactic. It seems like such an insignificant step but it's progress. One foot forward again. If the cancer was spreading I have to admit this would have been one very bad week. Funny how one day can make a huge difference in your life. I have never felt better physically and almost feel reborn mentally. So I'm changing the old acronym of R&R (Rest and relaxation to retired and reborn at least for the next four months!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

This sums it up....let's DANCE!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #534

Great news!

I am relieved to hear that you are retiring also. Nobody should have to deal with cancer and a job at the same time.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #535
Administrator

Great news! And congratulations on your retirement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #536
Moderator Emeritus

"Retired and reborn"--what a wonderful slogan! So glad to read your good report.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #537

Great news on both the excellent results on the scan, and on your retirement! Congratulations, so glad to hear it!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #538
Give me a forum ...

That's wonderful Ratface! You truly deserve this.
Never mind the kitchen sink.
I think we all know what's really important!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #539

Splendid news Ratface - and I love the phrase "reborn and retired"
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #540

Good news for you ratface. Take it one day at a time and don't forget to smell the roses.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote