Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like you are going to have to go through a lot in the following weeks. I hope your good days turn into wonderful days and the roses smell even sweeter....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds very positive, though the treatment I am sure will not be fun. Take care and thank goodness that you have someone who loves you to help you along.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a good chance at cure or prolonged remission.

Your treatment will be tough, but your future is likely bright.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #84
Gone but not forgotten

A good friend of mine developed this Cancer in late 2007 . He had the chemo and radiation which was rough but he actually worked while he had it . His last check up he was Cancer free . His hair has grown back and except for a dry mouth he's fine . I hope the same for you . I have dealt with a lot of Cancer patients in my years as a RN and a positive attitude and a fighting attitude will really help you .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich I was wondering if you could tell me exactly where the base of the tongue is, are we talking underneath at the rear or on top at the rear?
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

For the first time in several weeks I'm awake past 1100 p.m. because I'm no longer afraid. The outpouring of sympathy from my immediate family and extended family has touched me deeply. I cherish that and will never forget it. I just want to take a moment to say thank-you to all that have responded to my initial post with your humor, inspiring words, personal experiences and comforting thoughts and prayers. Yes this is cyber space and not very personal on most levels but it was very personal for me because all of you took the time and cared enough to drop a line to someone you have never met. What a wonderous world we live in. May you all experience peace in your hearts tonight.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Sweet dreams to you too.....
Old 07-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ratface, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but I'm glad that the doctors have found the problem and there is hope for a remission/cure. It sounds as if you are beginning to get through the fear phase and into the action phase.

I've found the following web site valuable as a source of messages from other individuals with similar conditions in a large number of diseases. I bet if you search under your specific condition you will find posts from others who have had it.
HealthBoards Message Boards

You are in my prayers.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a pretty good report considering all the possibilities. I would be upbeat too. A plan is in place to tackle this thing so just let the doc's do their thing.

I'm glad you feel better about it all. A good attitude goes a long way when dealing with stuff like this. I have an older golf buddy who has liver cancer. His wife died last year from a heart attack so he has had to deal with this by himself. Well not entirely as he has children and his buddies, but still tough so soon after his wife died. But he has the greatest attitude, plays golf with our group and has dinner with many of us at the club once a week. You would never know he has cancer even though he takes chemo.

Best of luck ratface and keep us up to date.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:30 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Sounds like a pretty good report considering all the possibilities. I would be upbeat too. A plan is in place to tackle this thing so just let the doc's do their thing.

I'm glad you feel better about it all. A good attitude goes a long way when dealing with stuff like this. I have an older golf buddy who has liver cancer. His wife died last year from a heart attack so he has had to deal with this by himself. Well not entirely as he has children and his buddies, but still tough so soon after his wife died. But he has the greatest attitude, plays golf with our group and has dinner with many of us at the club once a week. You would never know he has cancer even though he takes chemo.

Best of luck ratface and keep us up to date.
Dawg's post reminded me of how important it can be to take some "time off" from dealing with a serious problem in your life. Dawg's buddy plays golf and has dinner with friends. You may enjoy some other activity, but treat yourself to an extra good meal and splurge on something you really enjoy every now and then.

Keep us posted
Old 07-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm off to the rural old farmhouse to cut some grass with my son and do a little river fishing and just compose a little from the past week. Tuesday I have a fitting for my radiation mask. Will keep updating as someone someday may find some of the info useful. Everybody have a great weekend.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #92

I'm glad the results are better than you thought they might be. And your Onocologist sounds wonderful....

As the others said the treatment won't be fun, but you have a much better prognosis than you expected. I hope it all goes well...
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

That is good news, relative to what could have been. Congratulations!

You'll have some tough days ahead, but remember to celebrate the fact that the diagnosis wasn't something like "inoperable lung cancer."

I have a good buddy who had tongue cancer 20 or more years ago, and he's fine.

------

Your story of reading the PET scan results yourself reminds me of this: when my wife was having horrible headaches, they had an MRI done. It was the same situation of waiting for results, and no one giving out any clear information. The MRI films weren't delivered, so I volunteered to drive over there and pick them up. As soon as I got them, I sat in the car and looked through them. The golf-ball-sized tumor was clear as day. That was 10 years ago, and everything turned out fine.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #94

[quote=Amethyst;836306]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Ratface. another of my pedantic quotations:"Grab the broom of anger and drive off the beast of fear"

I love this one! How does it go in Spanish?

Amethyst
It would be something like "Agarra la escoba de la ira y espanta a la bestia del miedo" It´s not a Spanish quotation, mind you.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

I love this forum!
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

[quote=vicente solano;836421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It would be something like "Agarra la escoba de la ira y espanta a la bestia del miedo" It´s not a Spanish quotation, mind you.
Vincente, I love it when you speak Spanish
Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Purron;836718]
Quote:

hola!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #98

[quote=Purron;836718]
Quote:

Purron: Es la primera vez que me dicen algo así en un foro anglosajón. Muchas gracias. We´ve just got ourselves a kitten, a girl. If my wife hadn´t already christened Tina, I would have offered Purron as a name in gratitude for your compliment. On second thoughts, maybe not. I would have had to explain such a name to her ....and she is rather wary of my posting in this Forum, not knowing any English
Dawg: I´m sure that you can do better than that!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

I fell in love with the Spanish language from the poems of Pablo Neruda. I have a book of his poems in Spanish and English. I wish I spoke Spanish myself since I think they lose something in the translation. Such a beautiful language.

By the way, congratulations on the new kitten! Perhaps you can post a picture sometime. We love pet pictures around here!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Just wanted to return to the regular thread topic after a short jaunt into my love of the Spanish language. Ratface, I've been thinking about you and your son fishing. I used to do that with my dad when I was a girl. Hope you had a good time and recharged your batteries. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.