Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #141
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pistachio-flavored pudding from Jell-O! My favorite!

It will get better. Rooting for you...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ratface: You are behaving like a trooper. And, as somebody said, the way you are tackling your problem is really exemplary. We, in Spain, have a saying that goes somewhat like "Let´s pray God doesn´t send us all that we can bear". I think He has sent you plenty already. I pray for Him to give you a rest! Or better still-to consider that you have passed all the ordeals and so let you ER as you deserve!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Pistachio-flavored pudding from Jell-O! My favorite!

It will get better. Rooting for you...
Try this: Instant mashed potatoes made per box directions, place in small ceramic casserole, cover with American cheese slices and bake until top is bubbly and slightly browned. Easy to make, easy to digest and very filling.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

Got to chemo early as we get to everything early. First ones in. Had blood drawn as a baseline for future comparisons. Technician said we could sit where ever we want. Down the hall there are a dozen grey recliners in a row. Each has its own mini TV and of course all those IV gizmos. We sit at the first one. DW is sitting next to me. In walks a gentleman some years older than me and serves himself a cup of coffee. He chooses the booth/chair directly in front of the coffee and snack table. There is wisdom here. I stare down the hall as the chairs start to fill. It strikes me that cancer is just routine for so many people. I have read that there are appx. 130 different types and about 1 out of 3 people get some form of cancer. I never would have thought of it as routine! Well my treatment starts with a bag of saline through the power port. About 1 hour. Then a small bag of some anti vomit medicine. Then a small test bag of my particular chemo drug. Then another hour of saline. Then an another hour of a full bag of chemo drug and then another saline. This is a 21 day dose. two more of these. This morning I'm just grateful it's Saturday and don't have a doctors appt which is good because I feel like crap. I didn't expect the fatigue so soon. Feel nausea and light headed and did I say tired. Did not want coffee which I have drank everyday of my life and it didn't bother me. I'm a little better now, went for a short walk with DW and that helped some. Well thank-god tomorrow is Sunday because Monday is radiation.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Good thoughts in your direction ratface.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

You're on our minds ratface...take it one day at a time....
Old 08-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
I didn't expect the fatigue so soon. Feel nausea and light headed and did I say tired. Well thank-god tomorrow is Sunday because Monday is radiation.
Ratface,

Thanks for the update. The rest of us are listening to your experiences and praying that the "slash, burn and poison" routine gets all the creepy-crawlies out of your system once and for all.

Amethyst
Old 08-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Ratface , I have worked with a lot of patients facing chemo and radiation and I'd have to say the secret is in maintaining a positive attitude which you and the others who have spoke of their Cancer have .
Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 AM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got to say that I'm going in a bad direction. Depression is setting in and I can not get much sleep. It's amazing how fast the body can go south. I've tried OTC sleep aids but they do nothing.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've got to say that I'm going in a bad direction. Depression is setting in and I can not get much sleep. It's amazing how fast the body can go south. I've tried OTC sleep aids but they do nothing.
I've never been through it but I would suspect a little depression comes with the territory. But try not to wallow in it. Find a good uplifting book to read. Have a cup of coffee with your best friend. Smell the roses. Easier said than done but don't let it get you down.

Talk to your doc about your sleeping problem. Maybe he can prescribe something. Hang in there man!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM   #151
Administrator

Hang in there, ratface. We are rooting for you. The body may go south fast, but you are tough and can outlast all of this chemo and radiation therapy and your body will spring back. Be sure to mention the depression and inability to sleep the next time you see your doctor. Maybe he can give you something that is not OTC that might help.

Plus, I read recently that a very high percentage (was it 10%?) of Americans are on anti-depressants. There is no shame in taking those temporarily if he thinks you need them.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter went on antidepressants and I will say they have truly been a Godsend. She said it is like a dark curtain on her life has been pulled back.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is not surprising considering what you have learned, the shock you've gone through, and face going forward.
I will also recommend you talk this over with your doctor immediately and see what he can do for you in the way of an Rx for the depression and sleep loss. I've been there myself, for an entirely different reason.
Sleep loss will severely compromise your body's ability to fight...and you need all of your strength physically and mentally.
Hang in there...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Cara de raton--

If your body is used to feeling good most of the time, it must be a terrible shock to your whole system to switch so fast to feeling so sick. Maybe somebody who's been on chemo will jump into this forum to tell what it felt like for them and what their doctor did about it.

those are terribly powerful chemicals they're putting into your body to kill your cancer so it won't come back. I keep thinking of trying to eradicate a noxious weed from the garden...it takes a lot of effort and harsh chemicals, and sometimes healthy plants suffer in the process. Praying for you to turn the corner soon. Keep us posted when you feel well enough to do so.

Amethyst
Old 08-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #155

Ratface, I am not surprised that you are feeling a bit depressed. The lack of sleep would definitely not be helping you feel better mentally. Will your Dr give you something to help you sleep. You need to keep your energy to enable you to fight this dreadful disease.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Cara de raton--

If your body is used to feeling good most of the time, it must be a terrible shock to your whole system to switch so fast to feeling so sick. Maybe somebody who's been on chemo will jump into this forum to tell what it felt like for them and what their doctor did about it.

those are terribly powerful chemicals they're putting into your body to kill your cancer so it won't come back. I keep thinking of trying to eradicate a noxious weed from the garden...it takes a lot of effort and harsh chemicals, and sometimes healthy plants suffer in the process. Praying for you to turn the corner soon. Keep us posted when you feel well enough to do so.

Amethyst
Speaking of noxious weeds and healthy plants - might be a reasonable time to visit/revisit smoking some marijuana. May help with nausea, appetite, and sleeping. Legal or not I'm pretty sure you know someone who can get you some weed.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #157

Just want to let you know that I'm thinking of you and the ordeal you are going through. Sending you a

{{{HUG}}}
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Ratface , The depression is a common problem when you are facing such a life altering thing . Speak to your MD about it the anti depressants will help you sleep .There are several stages you will go through depression ,anger , acceptance . It might be helpful to find an online support group for people dealing with your illness .
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ratface, I've read through this thread and just want to say that I'm wishing you all the best. It sounds as though you're dealing with everything with remarkable grace.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #160
Moderator Emeritus

RF, looking back through this thread, your whole life has been turned upside down starting 6/30 (five weeks ago) and your diagnosis was made 7/14, three weeks ago, and now you're having treatment. I would still be in shock; it must still seem so surreal to you.

Hang in there and I hope your dr.'s office can help with the sleeping and depression, as they surely have seen others react the same.

Bless you.