Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[quote=vicente solano;836910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Purron: Weīve just got ourselves a kitten, a girl. If my wife hadnīt already christened Tina, I would have offered Purron as a name in !
Purron, just imagine how your name must sound when Vicente says it in Spanish...purrrroooonn....

Hope we hear from Ratface soon. Cara Raton?

amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Ratface. another of my pedantic quotations:"Grab the broom of anger and drive off the beast of fear"
[quote=Amethyst;836306]
Quote:
Ratface. another of my pedantic quotations:"Grab the broom of anger and drive off the beast of fear"
I love this one! How does it go in Spanish?

Amethyst
Well i feel pretty much like a bumpkin - did you all realize Vincente is quoting American proverbs to us?! Zora Neale Hurston.

Ratface, back in 1971 my Dad ended a six year fight with lymphoma. That's thirty-eight years ago - I'm pretty sure that there have been amazing developments in medicine since then. Target, excise, eradicate. Overcome. Live and be well! As Red Green says, "if the women don't find you handsome they can at least find you handy - keep your stick on the ice, we're all pulling for you"!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[quote=Amethyst;836989]
Quote:

Purron, just imagine how your name must sound when Vicente says it in Spanish...purrrroooonn....

Hope we hear from Ratface soon. Cara Raton?

amethyst
Amethyst: Allow me to enlighten you as to how Purron is pronounced in Spanish: it would be something like Poorron. Quite plain, nothing that melodious as your suggestion
And as for our brave Ratface -hope he is doing fine, considering- my translation would be Cara de rata. So close, but no cigar
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

"Face of a rat" It all started when my daughter was young and I would be home with her as I used to do shift work back then. I would be doing yard work or something and would come into the house and needed something that she would immediately respond to. I guess her name was just too everyday. Well I discovered that she laughed at being called "ratface" and Knew immediately that she was ok from any room in the house. It just stuck and with the advent of internet passwords it was one which was most often available. People don't like to be called "ratface" Today she is a beautiful 15 y/o and I still use it.

Well I'm off to the radiologist to get fitted for a radiation mask. How many of you can say that today?

Vincente I was in Madrid in 1963 as a cuban immigrant. Your country was very hospitable to my family. Pretty much fed us for six months. I speak spanish but writing it is a slow difficult task and it does not come out like yours. I imagine I have much blood of the Spaniard within.
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM   #105

[quote=ratface;
Well I'm off to the radiologist to get fitted for a radiation mask. How many of you can say that today?
.[/quote]
I hope that radiation mask doesnņt make you look like Hannibal Lecter in "The silence of the lambs". And carry on with the good fight. You deserve the best.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #106

[quote=calmloki;837005][quote=Amethyst;836306]

Well i feel pretty much like a bumpkin - did you all realize Vincente is quoting American proverbs to us?! Zora Neale Hurston.

Calmloki: I hope you donīt mind my quoting your countrymen. In any case, Iīll try to post the less known quotations, not wanting to seem pedantic or a bore. Sometimes I donīt know what to say, and I enjoy this Forum so much....
Old 07-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Well the mask fitting is over and I don't ever want to do that again. The first few seconds are terror. They basically heat this plastic mesh to make it pliable and tell you it will be a little hot and uncomfortable at first. They are rather tight lipped about the whole thing otherwise I'm sure folks would run out of the room. The technician then says she needs an assistant to make it go faster. The real reason is to hold you down on the table, one on either side of you. So your laying on a table and they just plop this hot gooey mesh thing on your face. I screamed out, "Oh God", and they ask, "Are you all right" I ask if it will get hotter and they say no. They immediately begin securing the mask to the table with some sort of pins or nails? The other technician begins to press the hot gooey plastic into my eye sockets and mouth and nose basically conforming the whole thing to my face all the while tighting the mask to the table. I wish they had told me to close my eyes but luckily the gooey stuff is not hurting them. Now you can't see a thing and just hear them talking about how they might have to imput information again because something isn't working. 25 min later everything is done, the mask is cooled down and I'm off the table.
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #108

Wow, so how did you breathe? Glad it's over, that doesn't sound like a fun procedure. Guess you have to look at it as an important part of the healing process.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #109

Ratface, please forgive me for my stupid comment about the mask.
I canīt believe that in this day and age one has still have to suffer such torments...! Iīve got no words to express my sympathy for your situation.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

OMG, that was awful! I had no idea they put people through this to fit a mask. I'm thinking they should have explained the procedure better to you before they began.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #111

Purron: I agree with you. But, on the other hand, what, in this situation, are your realistic options, once they tell you? Can one really prepare oneself for the ordeals that certain treatments entail?
Dear God, I canīt understand why pain is part of so many medical procedures....
Old 07-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

SIL just finished radiation to the head with such a mask. The good thing is that the treatments themselves are only a couple of minutes long, and the mask is not uncomfortable. And the end result of potential good health after undergoing the mask creation process? Priceless.

Best of luck as you start your treatments, Ratface!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #113
Administrator

Wow, ratface, that sounds like a terrible experience, I would never have thought that getting a fitting for a face mask could be so painful and difficult.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Purron: I agree with you. But, on the other hand, what, in this situation, are your realistic options, once they tell you? Can one really prepare oneself for the ordeals that certain treatments entail?
Dear God, I canīt understand why pain is part of so many medical procedures....
Sometimes I find medical workers are busy and simply don't take the time to explain. They have done it many times, so it seems routine to them. That's one reason I like to accompany my mother to non-routine medical appointments. I can play the doting daughter quite well!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

They should have explained exactly what was going to happen. What you described is completely outrageous.

I guess the only thing I can say at this point is..at least it's over.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #116

Bbb: Iīll ask you the same question I did Purron. letīs say they tell you in full detail, then what does one do given the seriousness of the disease?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:19 PM   #117
Administrator

Quote:
Bbb: Iīll ask you the same question I did Purron. letīs say they tell you in full detail, then what does one do given the seriousness of the disease?
It's very important to me to know what is coming and what to expect no matter how nasty. Then, for example, if I'm struggling to breathe but have been told ahead of time that breathing will be difficult during the procedure then I'm less likely to panic.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm the type that does not like to be "surprised". I want to know as much as possible about a procedure that will be done to me.

In the past, I've had to endure certain procedures because if I didn't, I wouldn't get well. I'll do what it takes to get better, but I want to understand beforehand what will happen.

ratface....Please don't let this event discourage or frighten you. The mask fitting process is over. Hopefully you will be better informed in the future what to expect. I can only imagine how tough it is for you right now. Hang in there sugah...
Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It's very important to me to know what is coming and what to expect no matter how nasty. Then, for example, if I'm struggling to breathe but have been told ahead of time that breathing will be difficult during the procedure then I'm less likely to panic.
...and more likely to take a deep breath before they begin! They should have told Ratface what to expect and to close his eyes. Hang in there dude. Thank goodness this is over.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
ratface....Please don't let this event discourage or frighten you. The mask fitting process is over. Hopefully you will be better informed in the future what to expect. I can only imagine how tough it is for you right now. Hang in there sugah...
I agree. There's nothing like a serious illness to bring perspective to life. No matter how long we live, life is short in comparison with what we'd each like to accomplish. And a serious illness, even if we are hopeful that we will over come it, brings life into perspective. In the end, it's not about money, retirement, things... it's about relationships, love, leaving this place just a little bit better than it was when we came into it.

To ratface, hang in there, bro, and every time you face a challenge like this one, think of a better day in the future that you will enjoy because you suffered this in your path to healing. And live each day as if it's your last, which is something we should all do. God bless you.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote