Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Amethyst, you sound truly concerned about the possibility of not working out as much and gaining weght in retirement. Because of this I would suggest planning to pay whatever it costs (gym fees, maybe?) to continue working out in retirement. Personally, due to my overweight I consider fitness as a health expense rather than discretionary.

I go to what I believe is the most expensive gym in town and yet the monthly gym fees only come to less than 2% of my total expenses in retirement, which are not lavish. Think about it in that context. Are these fees really impossible for you to plan for? Perhaps that gym has a "daytimers" lower fee for those who attend during the slack hours in the middle of the day.

The gym is a big part of my retirement life - - I love working out, and for those who are more socially minded, the gym is a great place to meet other retirees.
I agree. I consider exercise expenses more of a necessity than a luxury. If the gym turns out to be too inconvenient to travel to regularly, I'd bite the bullet and get exercise equipment at home. Barbells and whichever cardio device (treadmill, bike, elliptical) you like best probably won't be too many months than a health club membership, maybe less if you find one on Craigslist. A fan may be all you need to keep cool enough most days. As far as food, I just try to keep junk food out of the house. Nibble on carrots or celery when you get hungry, and drink water.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes. 5+ years, eating quite a bit better, lost some weight (not nearly enough)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Our doctor's office displays a cartoon of a doctor saying to a patient "Which fits into your schedule better, working out for an hour a day or being dead for twenty-four hours a day?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Me thinks the consensus is that ER is a very healthy place to be !
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm only 10 months in, but I'd say little change. My weight and exercise have stayed pretty much the same. But we are eating better/healthier and more cost effectively to boot (a nice bonus)! Stress was never a big deal to me, just came with the territory and it rarely impacted my life away from work. Probably too soon to conclude, but the advantages/disadvantages seem to balance out somewhat.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

8 years and counting!

Weight up a bit but sleeping a lot better/later

Most importantly, stopped being an a-hole executive type and started being who I really am...a pretty nice person (or so I"m told!).

As another posted, ER IS a healthy place to be.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I agree. I consider exercise expenses more of a necessity than a luxury.
I consider my membership to the rec center where I use the pool 5-6 days a week some of the best money I spend each month. I don't worry about categorizing it, just try to get my money's worth by using it.

In my 2+ years of retirement I've only had one cold and while working probably had 2-3 per year. I attribute it to less stress and lots less exposure to others who may be sick.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #28

Yes, my health improved after ER. Weight came down, blood pressure is now in the normal range, blood test numbers all improved. I changed my diet at about the same time I ER'd, and that helped a lot also. I exercise much more now too (walk twice a day with the dog, plus other stuff). Stress has come down too, partly because I now do everything at my own pace, instead of rushing around like a maniac to get things done each week. There is no doubt that ER has been good for my health.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ife-15201.html

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I now do everything at my own pace, instead of rushing around like a maniac to get things done each week.
I am SO looking forward to that!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
exercising at home
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

exercising at home

Amethyst, we joined a gym for a while until we narrowed down what we would really use. Then we bought a treadmill for home. About $800--we used it for about 21K miles before we wore it out. No question--we immediately bought another one. I won't say I adore it, but we would no more do without it than without a refrigerator. (At least it counteracts some of the stress eating at work!) I've gotten on it at 1 am, DH most mornings at 5, times when no gym is open. Good luck!
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am SO looking forward to that!
And running all your errands during the weekday, avoiding the madness of people doing stuff on the weekends and right after work. That would be good for "mental health" too!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
Amethyst, we joined a gym for a while until we narrowed down what we would really use. Then we bought a treadmill for home. About $800--we used it for about 21K miles before we wore it out. No question--we immediately bought another one. I won't say I adore it, but we would no more do without it than without a refrigerator. (At least it counteracts some of the stress eating at work!) I've gotten on it at 1 am, DH most mornings at 5, times when no gym is open. Good luck!
Let me be sure I understand you correctly.You and your wife put 21,000 miles on your treadmill. So if it is all running/jogging, at a pretty good clip of 8mph, you two together spent 2625 man hours on this machine? You should be honored at some special fitness congress in the White House, and your story put on All Bran packages.

How long did this take, as in months or years?

Much congratulations on your discipline and resolve!

Ha
Old 05-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #34

I am retired over 5 years and my health certainly improved. Lost 20 lbs, strenuous workouts almost every day, BP now 115/75, cholestrol and all other blood tests are great. Retirement can certainly be good for your health.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
how long it took...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

how long it took...

About 15 years---some time off for surgery, but yes. But perhaps it's even more, because I just divided it out for two people, 300 days/year and only came up with 2.3 miles/day. That makes sense because I usually do 3.5, and spouse more like 4.5. He runs 6.5 mph, I just walk up slopes at 3.3. (I'm also a couple of years older In any case, well worth the $$. I may not look like my dreams, but when I multiply out the calories (app. 200x300 days/yearx15 years) out by that amount of time...imagine if I HADN'T burned them!
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by palomalou View Post
About 15 years---some time off for surgery, but yes. But perhaps it's even more, because I just divided it out for two people, 300 days/year and only came up with 2.3 miles/day. That makes sense because I usually do 3.5, and spouse more like 4.5. He runs 6.5 mph, I just walk up slopes at 3.3. (I'm also a couple of years older In any case, well worth the $$. I may not look like my dreams, but when I multiply out the calories (app. 200x300 days/yearx15 years) out by that amount of time...imagine if I HADN'T burned them!
Also, not only the weight not gained, but huge metabolic benefits to your health quite apart from the weight issue.

Most of all what impresses me is the tenacity displayed by both of you.

Did you machine require much maintenance over this time? What make and size is it? It must be a gym quality machine.

Ha
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Did you machine require much maintenance over this time? What make and size is it? It must be a gym quality machine.
Good question, and one that someone seriously considering beginning a long term exercise program should contemplate.

We have a Precor elliptical that gets a lot of use, and has, thus far, required zero maintenance; the "your name here" model we owned prior to that was almost constantly waiting for the repairman's arrival.

Some years back, after buckling the wheel, (too much pressure applied), of an exercise bike someone had given me, I went to a large sports outlet for a replacement.......the salesman asked how often would I use it, to which I replied "every day"....he directed me to a solidly built, no frills, Schwinn, saying that "Most of this stuff is built for people who don't exercise, and you'll break the other bikes in no time at all".......true dat.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Good question, and one that someone seriously considering beginning a long term exercise program should contemplate.

We have a Precor elliptical that gets a lot of use, and has, thus far, required zero maintenance; the "your name here" model we owned prior to that was almost constantly waiting for the repairman's arrival.

Some years back, after buckling the wheel, (too much pressure applied), of an exercise bike someone had given me, I went to a large sports outlet for a replacement.......the salesman asked how often would I use it, to which I replied "every day"....he directed me to a solidly built, no frills, Schwinn, saying that "Most of this stuff is built for people who don't exercise, and you'll break the other bikes in no time at all".......true dat.
Absolutely. To me comfort and durability are high on the list when you go to buy an exercise machine. That is why when I bought a rower I went for the Concept2, instead of any of the other brands. In 820 km over 7 months, all I have to do is clean the slide with a Simple Green spray every few sessions, and oil the chain q 6 months. I don't use it everyday, because I also like to do outdoor walking, and on a day that I walk more or less continuously for 5+ miles, I usually do not row. On of my sons bought a cheaper machine, and although it hasn't broken, it is so uncomfortable and noisey that they do not use it much.

Your Precor sounds very good.

Ha
Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Our first treadmill was just a ProForm from Sears, higher-end of the line but by no means. We bought a service contract with it which meant they came out annually, lubricated the belt, and I think we went through three motors during those 15 years. It finally reached the point that we dropped the service contract and decided when it next needed something big, we'd just replace it. So we did.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

It seems to me that the flip side of the original topic (which is a good one) could be "did having to work deteriorate your health?". It also seems to me that the usual answer is "yes" (my answer too!). The key phrase, though, may be "having to work", as lots of people are working as they want after ER, and how/when they want.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health medical