Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

did your doc suggest getting more flexibility exercises?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

did your doc suggest getting more flexibility exercises?

Went to foot doctor yesterday (had surgery May 22nd). He suggested I do more flexibility exercises (yoga, pilates).
Said he knows Im doing enough weight training (told him instructor suggested I cut back to every other day).
And doc knows Im doing enough cardio (every time I see him I ask how much more I can walk - didnt tell him I went mountain climbing for 2 hrs this past Sunday)
However he did suggest more flexibility/stretching exercises. Has your doc suggested that to you?
retiringat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

A doctor sent me to a physical therapist (multiple times for different injuries over the years) and some of what was needed was specific stretches, along with specific strength training. Fixed my plantar fasciitis and dislocated shoulder that way (took a long time for both). Now my wrist - the stretches seem to aggravate that problem. So it depends.
I still stretch every day for the first two problems, or regret it when I don't. When I neglect stretches I also lose range of motion in my knees, not a good thing.
I have not had pilates or yoga suggested by a doc, but I avoid docs whenever possible. A trainer I respect insists on stretching after weight training and cardio.
I haven't tried pilates, and gave up yoga when they insisted I had to regularly stand on my head. My, um, center of gravity is not conducive to that.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
I haven't tried pilates, and gave up yoga when they insisted I had to regularly stand on my head. My, um, center of gravity is not conducive to that.
I have been doing Pilates at my PT for a back injury. The exercises are fun and seem very effective. They take a lot of mental concentration to do correctly.

Ha
Old 08-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

For back pain, the doc recommended a specific regimen of stretches. I do many of those now as well as general fitness exercises (push ups, sit ups, exercise bike) that lead to general strengthening of the back muscles.

I think the stretches keep you limber enough to help prevent injuries (like pulled muscles) caused by engaging in ordinary activities.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

i'm not very flexible. judging by this, not at all:
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

my doc stresses cardio and weights with low weight high reps
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I do about 10 minutes of stretching before my gym routine, on the Kaiser stretching station at my gym. I think the stretching gets rid of many of the "aches and pains of aging", which IMO are so often a result of diminishing flexibility without diminishing motion. For a long time I thought I had arthritis of the hip, but those pains go away if I stretch regularly and thoroughly.

Stretching also helps me to be more capable of doing everyday things around the house, and it is supposed to help prevent athletic injuries. I should stretch after my routine too, but I don't.

I haven't ever had a doctor tell me to stretch!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My MIL still does her range of motion exercises and she is 82 give or take a year or two Seems to help her out a great deal still very active lady.

I also stretch before running or lifting.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
Administrator

I've had back surgery and shoulder surgery (both shoulders) and both doc's gave me a series of stretching exercises that I needed to do long after PT had finished.

I do yoga or pilates once a week