Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2015, 02:35 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not worried about cholesterol. Just showing the ignorance of the medical system in ignoring science.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 04:09 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug View Post
Here are some doctors who are not drug company shills who agree with me.
I have great difficulty reconciling your Original Post with this post... and with your intervening statements. Are you now saying you agree with all those that responded to your posts?

(Along the same line: don't you mean -- who "I agree with" instead of who "agree with me." (Unless, of course, you can produce published articles that these doctors have given written (documented) approval statements.)

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not worried about cholesterol. Just showing the ignorance of the medical system in ignoring science. ....
No, no, no, no, no. You keep changing the subject. Forget the 'ignorance the medical system' for a moment. If they are wrong, that does not automatically mean that some other opinion is right.

Please, explain to us your earlier statement -

Quote:
... The FDA is February 2012 sent out a notice telling all doctors to get their patients off statins because there is a 52% increase in diabetes and 100% increase in dementia [Alzheimer] this was ignored by most doctors.
And my Q to you:
Quote:
So d0ug, specifically, where in that notice does it report a "52% increase in diabetes and 100% increase in dementia [Alzheimer]"? Maybe Don and I missed it?
If you make statements that appear to be wrong, why should we listen to anything else you say?

So address this question, and maybe you can gain enough credibility for us to move forward. But until then, I'm not listening (why should I?) ...

-ERD50
Old 08-30-2015, 10:14 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Might be time to move on. While I think it's good to raise questions and doubts about unsubstantiated claims, at some point you have to stop chasing the pig around the mud pit. I don't think anyone is going to be making any medical decisions based on that poster's claims.

Then again, there is the entertainment value...
Old 08-31-2015, 03:16 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Proverbs 26:4 applies here.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Proverbs 26:4 applies here.
I don't have my bible handy...

OK, I do have Google.- thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:55 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps this is why people don't trust the dietary advice they have been given.

A Fatally Flawed Food Guide by Luise Light, Ed.D

Quote:
Where we, the USDA nutritionists, called for a base of 5-9 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables a day, it was replaced with a paltry 2-3 servings (changed to 5-7 servings a couple of years later because an anti-cancer campaign by another government agency, the National Cancer Institute, forced the USDA to adopt the higher standard). Our recommendation of 3-4 daily servings of whole-grain breads and cereals was changed to a whopping 6-11 servings forming the base of the Food Pyramid as a concession to the processed wheat and corn industries. Moreover, my nutritionist group had placed baked goods made with white flour — including crackers, sweets and other low-nutrient foods laden with sugars and fats — at the peak of the pyramid, recommending that they be eaten sparingly. To our alarm, in the “revised” Food Guide, they were now made part of the Pyramid’s base. And, in yet one more assault on dietary logic, changes were made to the wording of the dietary guidelines from “eat less” to “avoid too much,” giving a nod to the processed-food industry interests by not limiting highly profitable “fun foods” (junk foods by any other name) that might affect the bottom line of food companies.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 PM   #108

Old 08-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

The USDA a controls the food pyramid. The USDA supports the US Ag business. Enough said.

Nutrition also falls under their purview, and they control the school lunch program.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The USDA a controls the food pyramid. The USDA supports the US Ag business. Enough said.
Very true. I would strongly suggest doing your own research on nutrition, rather than blindly following advice from USDA (or anyone, really). I have, and as a result the diet I follow is not even close to that recommended by USDA (and the ag business that pretty much controls what they can say).
Old 08-31-2015, 07:23 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Go back to what your great grand fathers ate butter, lard, meat, vegetables, milk, cheese and very little grains, oils, and there was no margarine.
This is what they ate before the epidemic of heart disease, Alzheimer, cancer, and diabetes
Old 08-31-2015, 07:59 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Go back to what your great grand fathers ate butter, lard, meat, vegetables, milk, cheese and very little grains, oils, and there was no margarine.
This is what they ate before the epidemic of heart disease, Alzheimer, cancer, and diabetes
True enough that they had no industrial oils, but every farm kitchen had flour, corn meal and often oats. It was not a low carb meal plan. Not a lot of beef either. Kill a thousand pound steer, and with no refrigeration what are you going to do?

Ha
Old 08-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Plenty of carbs, but people generally were doing a lot of physical labor.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:54 PM   #114
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Plenty of carbs, but people generally were doing a lot of physical labor.
Yes, but during those same days there were rich people who just as today, do nothing but eat and enjoy themselves in the prescribed manner of the day. I suspect they ate more meat and had dibbs of the red meat but that's conjecture. They also likely ate tons of bread and other grain stuff too.

And just as today they were almost always healthier and lived longer than the hard working calorie burning class.

Doing hard work does not negate the unhealthful effects of too much carbohydrate nor does it negate the effects of eating meat.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Here is a British view on the proposed 2015 food guidelines. It's long but not hard to follow. Read it and form your own conclusions.

http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj.h4962

"The BMJ has also found that the committee’s report used weak scientific standards, reversing recent efforts by the government to strengthen the scientific review process. This backsliding seems to have made the report vulnerable to internal bias as well as outside agendas."
Old 09-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Here is the latest from the Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada: a little more succinct!

Foundation urges Canadians to cut the crap - Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada

The backgrounder:

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c...and_stroke.htm
Old 09-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

A notice of the last post on this thread arrived just after I watched an excellent lecture on dietary fat and cholesterol myths. This is a long (58 minute) video but well worth while. The first 25 minutes deals with the dietary fat question. At about minute 25 he moves over to cholesterol and statins. I liked the second part the most. I think his graphics on absolute vs relative risks/benefits are excellent.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #118

And here's a criticism of Nina Teicholz's (author of a best-selling book advocating increased consumption of meat and dairy products, supported by, um, the meat and dairy industries) editorial in the BMJ:

Weighty Matters: Saturated Fats, Conflicts of Interest, and Nutritional Partisanship

There are many more responses to her opinion piece available on-line, but this one is fairly mild.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:06 PM   #119
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
A healthy balanced diet does not include highly processed and highly refined foods

ALL "whole grain" foods are processed . That's the only way humans can eat them.

"Whole Grains" are nothing more than 100% refined grain the same toxic stuff we're not supposed to eat but with a little husk mixed in. What is it? Some kind of magic food antivenin? How about if I eat highly processed snack foods or fatty steaks but with a tablespoon of husk? Does it make the bad stuff disappear in my body? Whole grain=refined grain. Read the labels.

I appreciate the changing thinking on diet especially as it regards fat but still too much cognitive dissonance and hucksterism going on.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
ALL "whole grain" foods are refined. That's the only way humans can eat them.

"Whole Grains" are nothing more than 100% refined grain the same toxic stuff we're not supposed to eat but with a little husk mixed in. What is it? Some kind of magic food antivenin? How about if I eat highly processed snack foods or fatty steaks but with a tablespoon of husk? Does it make the bad stuff disappear in my body? Whole grain=refined grain. Read the labels.

I appreciate the changing thinking on diet especially as it regards fat but still too much cognitive dissonance and hucksterism going on.
"In the 70s you did acid, but now you won't eat white bread?"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote