Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Difference in insurance being retired v.s. self employed
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Difference in insurance being retired v.s. self employed

Does anyone know whether it makes any difference being retired v.s. self employed when applying for health insurance?
dcxl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Think it depends on the state...in my state, with BC.BS, as a self-employed person I can get a one person(family) "group" at the group rates...same coverage in the open market would cost a lot more. That why even though I haven't worked in 5 years I still pay for BC out of my corp. Your state may have different rules.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #3

Please elaborate. Is your company offering you retirement benefits? Depending on your state, you may be eligible for guaranteed "group of one" coverage for you and your family as a self-employed individual. Rates would be similar to those in an employer-sponsored plan.

If you don't have retirement benefits, and if you and your family is in good health, you might be able to get much lower rates in the individual/family market than you could in the "group of one" market.
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Cobra is available
Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Cobra is available

My current company will only offer Cobra (at a decent price), but many have advised me not to take it. So I am investigating indiv insur. I think I may become self employed eventually, so just wondered if the rates are any differerent if you are retired vs self employed.
dcxl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcxl28 View Post
My current company will only offer Cobra (at a decent price), but many have advised me not to take it. So I am investigating indiv insur. I think I may become self employed eventually, so just wondered if the rates are any differerent if you are retired vs self employed.
Self employment rates (group of one insurance) is usually priced similarly to COBRA rates. Individual coverage will likely be much less expensive, depending on your health history.
mykidslovedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad (state of California) was unhealthy with a cancer history, old hip replacements, adult onset diabetes, and various other non-trivial problems, etc., and he got coverage as a self-employed in California. He also got coverage for my mom this way (who was severely overweight at that time), so I guess they applied as a group of 2. They got very good rates. In fact, my mom's current rate is basically the low rate on Kaiser's site for her age, I think (my dad has died and the business no longer exists).

Kaiser also gave my mom that optional tie your stomach procedure for obese people and her weight is about half her peak weight, she is currently just about normal weight for her height/stature. They have also provided follow up cosmetic surgery at no cost.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone that lives in California know what the minimum requirements are to qualify as a 'small business' from the perspective of getting health insurance? My wife and I have some specific pre-conditions that makes individual coverage rather prohibitive (in face, impossible for maternity coverage). I can easily start up an S-corp or the like, but I'm not sure if you need to show actual income or payroll to qualify for a 'small business' rate...
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline View Post
Anyone that lives in California know what the minimum requirements are to qualify as a 'small business' from the perspective of getting health insurance? My wife and I have some specific pre-conditions that makes individual coverage rather prohibitive (in face, impossible for maternity coverage). I can easily start up an S-corp or the like, but I'm not sure if you need to show actual income or payroll to qualify for a 'small business' rate...
When my dad did this (perhaps 6 years ago?), his group size was 2, him and my mom (who was an employee), and it was a regular, simple self-proprietership. I don't know if it was a Kaiser determined group size or if there is something in California law. But it was a real business with a long history.

For starters, I would read through those California specific laws from:

Health Insurance Consumer Guides

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote