Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I am surprised the government sites don't have a box to check, to say, I am not eligible for a subsidy and don't want to even see if I am. It would eliminate a lot of the issues that occur.
When I created an account and enrolled on the Federal exchange, I chose the option that said I already know I am not eligible for a subsidy. It skipped a lot of income questions during enrollment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
When I created an account and enrolled on the Federal exchange, I chose the option that said I already know I am not eligible for a subsidy. It skipped a lot of income questions during enrollment.
That was the confusing part - I fully expected a concise question or statement at some point about subsidy and an opportunity to decline or skip but it never came.

Lots of innuendo that I "would" or "could" be eligible but nothing definitive.

Instead were a lot of questions about filing status (MFS), whether we lived at the same address, did I want to provide spouse's income (no), did I want to provide spouses SSN (no), etc..etc.. and then finally "You're approved!".

I felt like I was in a DriveTime commercial.

Then, the various plans were presented. I noticed that the pricing was the same as what I had previously researched thru healthinsurance.com

The only option at that point was a button on each of the plans to "ENROLL" and I stopped there because I wasn't sure what level of commitment I would be making at that point.

Which also led me to wonder how many people just went with the flow of the website, have been counted as having "enrolled" but merely went a bit too far clicking buttons.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
To boot if not subisidy eligible you don't have to use the government sites to buy insurance. Ehealthinsurace.com is one alternative to shop on. Another is to shop there and use the chosen insurance companies site to sign up. I am surprised the government sites don't have a box to check, to say, I am not eligible for a subsidy and don't want to even see if I am. It would eliminate a lot of the issues that occur.
That is not true in all states. In my state you must buy from the exchange, you cannot buy from a carrier. The exchange collects the premiums as well. A big mistake on the part of the state IMO - they should have just let us deal with the carriers.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Would you ask the following question in the same manner?

You earn $140,000 a year as a couple and are trying to get government subsidized mortgage?

Or

You earn $140,000 a year as a couple and are trying to get government subsidized IRA?
While trying to avoid bacon, I'll just say that there is a matter of degree. And yes, it is a slippery slope.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
That was the confusing part - I fully expected a concise question or statement at some point about subsidy and an opportunity to decline or skip but it never came.

Lots of innuendo that I "would" or "could" be eligible but nothing definitive.

Instead were a lot of questions about filing status (MFS), whether we lived at the same address, did I want to provide spouse's income (no), did I want to provide spouses SSN (no), etc..etc.. and then finally "You're approved!".
Sounds like you missed the option to skip the income check for subsidy. It's was in the start of the enrollment process.

It needs the income info then to process the application. You should get a "Eligibility Notice" document that shows your approval and what subsidy you qualify for ( if any )

The site has a lot of info in the FAQs

MFS info
https://www.healthcare.gov/what-inco...xes-separately

Plans and prices without enrolling ( estimated subsidy )
https://www.healthcare.gov/how-much-...nsurance-cost/
Old 05-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
If the spouse is receiving her health insurance through her employer, then she is already receiving government subsidized healthcare since those benefits are provided pre-tax.

The huge health-care subsidy everyone is ignoring
Thank you!