Join Early Retirement Today

Do It Now!
Old 06-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do It Now!

On the fence for one more year?
Making it now, while you can, so you have the $'s to complete your bucket list?
Worried about having to live in a cave (or with your kids) later on?
Have some goal that you're committed to, so you'll feel comfortable in retirement?

Just a few words from one who's been there, and thought all of those things, and more. Actually three words...

Do It Now!

You don't get a second chance.

It's hard to discuss health problems with younger people who see themselves tomorrow, as they are today, because they are exercising, eating the right things, and doing what they're supposed to do to stay healthy. (Younger, being younger than me... whether age 40 or age 70).

Your dreams carry you to that wonderful world of no worries. Where you can do as you please... and no one to tell you "no". And yes... the mother or father or grandma that is 93 and is still driving and going on cruises. That's you.

It's not my place to give advice... but... here's some advice. "Do It Now".

Not "crazy" do it now, like trying to retire at age 50, on $35K/yr... but realistic... based on carrying an element of risk in return for more happy years.

DW and I have had 26 years of total happiness after taking the chance. Living in retirement communities for most of those years, we have seen lives and dreams cut short at age 55 and more commonly at ages 65 to 75.

So we missed the African Safari, the Alps, the Danube Cruise, and my dream trip back to Nikko... but a lucky trade off. Still here... a little shopworn, and not ready for the triathalon... but here, and happy, with no regrets.

"But I'm healthy" ... "My genes are good"... "I want to be safe!" ... "I don't want to be a burden". Yeah... 'til something happens, and you have the money, but missed those years of freedom.

Need some more convincing? Read ALL of this "after 65 health problems" before you sign on for OMY, just because of the money.

FastStats - Older Persons Health

Do It Now!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree! My mom died almost two years ago at 95 and I decided after that to retire at 54.5 because life is precious and I wanted to spend it having more experiences than just working. I've had diabetes for 20 years and since I've retired it is now the best it has ever been because I take the time to do all I need to do.

Do It Now! Seconded!

Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh, screw the African safari! At 9X through a scope a squirrel looks like a lion.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Excellent pep talk for those of us doing the damn fool OMY. I turn 55 next month and already think I may have waited a bit too long. Sticking it out till 56 would be a really dumb move, but the siren song of security still calls. Your post is like a lighthouse warning of those shoals.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yes, people think terminal illness is something that happens to the other people. Quite a few posters here have had serious health problem, yours truly included. I am OK now, else would not be posting. Several posters have been absent since they talked of their health problem. It's sad.

But, but, but optimism and hope are something that people need to live on. How to balance that with realism, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Heh, screw the African safari! At 9X through a scope a squirrel looks like a lion.
Particularly evil squirrels like this one.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I sure would not try to pick up a live one...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:18 PM   #7

I believe NW-Bound has been on my property again taking pictures of my squirrels. They are my guard squirrels. Very vicious. Keep of my grass!
Old 06-06-2015, 02:16 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Very inspirational imoldr, we have 1.8 investible and are currently on an explority camping trip to find our retirement home. Only problem is both of our corporations wont let us ease into retirement via pt work, only more responsibility. So we need to make an executive decision and pull the plug. We get the concept but are still nervous about losing 8000k (after savings) deposited in the checking account every 2 weeks. That has solved any issues we have had. Will have to end sometime. Greed vs need.....
Old 06-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

+10 Well said.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #10

Excellent post, Imoldernu frequently shares great wisdom. We're 64 and four years in; luckily are very healthy. However we both engage in the obituary glance each morning to remind ourselves just how things can change. MIL recently passed at 89 and her final years were not pretty and we're very aware that her path could be ours.

Reading the paper/internet and just looking around makes us realize just how lucky we are. Yes we worked for most of it, but the health card can turn nasty in the blink of an eye.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOrt View Post
Very inspirational imoldr, we have 1.8 investible and are currently on an explority camping trip to find our retirement home. Only problem is both of our corporations wont let us ease into retirement via pt work, only more responsibility. So we need to make an executive decision and pull the plug. We get the concept but are still nervous about losing 8000k (after savings) deposited in the checking account every 2 weeks. That has solved any issues we have had. Will have to end sometime. Greed vs need.....
That's a big number...
Old 06-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #12

+1
Always enjoy your posts imoldernu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post

the health card can turn nasty in the blink of an eye.
Well said.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

If you need just a little more encouragement, watch this (lol)
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a friend, Fred, who retired at 62. He and his wife moved to their lovely, custom-built home in a charming small town. Three years later Fred, who was not a smoker, got lung cancer. He lasted three months.

We're not quite ready financially to retire now, but we keep in mind the Fred Factor.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We all know people who dropped from a sudden illness in their 50s or 60s. It may or may not happen to each individual, but that's the uncertainty people do not usually think of and pay little attention to, relative to the stock market risk, job loss, etc...

But how does one balance these risks? It's hard. Not making the hard decision to quit is still a decision, and OMY carries some risks too. Who knows? But the main thing is whatever our future turns out, do not regret it. Life is full of uncertainties, and we have to accept the cards we are dealt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I believe NW-Bound has been on my property again taking pictures of my squirrels. They are my guard squirrels. Very vicious. Keep of my grass!
Vicious is what Brewer likes to see in his 22 scope.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
We had a friend, Fred, who retired at 62. He and his wife moved to their lovely, custom-built home in a charming small town. Three years later Fred, who was not a smoker, got lung cancer. He lasted three months...
Your friend got 3 years. That's more than many people have. I will tell just two most recent stories about people I knew indirectly, both involving a man in his early 50s.

One man, an engineer, felt pain in the abdomen one day. Diagnosis: colon cancer, and it was already Stage 4. He lasted 1 month.

The second man, a full colonel in the USAF, felt tired. He told his secretary that he needed to go home early. He never made it home, and went missing for 2 days. They later found out that he pulled off into a parking lot on the way home, and died in his car there. Cause is still unknown, awaiting an autopsy.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #17

My last day of work was December 28, 1988.....I was 46 years, 3 months, and 1 day old..........I'll be 73 (if I make it) this September........lost a loved spouse along the way (to cancer)....lucky enough to find another, (the best woman I've known)....have 3 1/2 times the money I had when I stopped working.......we have two (more) trips pretty much paid for, and are hoping for many others......and we'll do it as long as we can.

Work? Ptui

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I am never good at remembering dates, despite my oft self-proclaimed superior memory. I vaguely remember my last day of work to the month, not to the day. I finished up a contract work I did, and had a strong feeling that I was done for my life but was not certain. I was taking a break, and that turned out to be forever. When they called me and asked when I would be coming back, I said I was done.

So, no date for me to even commemorate. I do not even keep any record to look up in order to accurately place that day, except perhaps to the week of that year.

PS. I forgot my birthday one year.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Knowing what I know now, I should have jumped at 45 not 49. I was so wrapped up in the BS of work (hitting my regional numbers and watching my back) that I never crunched numbers or found this forum. If you found this forum and are figuring your expenses and assets you are in the home stretch.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I was suddenly widowed at age 46. He was age 50.5.
Life handed me a case of lemons. I'm a hell of a lemonade maker.

Here's my version of DO IT NOW!

I set a goal to FIRE when my TSP hit a certain number, which happened in January 2007 after 2+ years of vigorously maxing out my TSP above and beyond what I had previously done for 16 years. I did this on a more than halved household income. The survivor pension covered the household bills and medical insurance, but that's about it.

So, at the age of 48, on April 1, 2007, I broke every rule in the damn book.

The personnel folks were aghast ! But...but...you'll lose this and you'll lose that...and...nobody's ever done this...blah blah blah....

I resigned from a very secure GS-13 govt 0855 series j*b, instead of waiting 1 year and 10 months for an early out at age 50.
I converted my TSP into an immediate fixed annuity at 5.25%. I decided I could live off a modest survivor pension and the annuity until age 56 when I could draw my own FERS pension, without touching my retirement portfolio.
I kept pumping money into my retirement portfolio, at a rate I could manage on now an even lower income. I kept my eye on the ball.
And yes I took my pension right at age 56, incurring percentage losses because I was not yet 62.

Guess what ? I regret not a single decision.

To hell with the rules...I created my own scenario as I decided I wanted to. It's more about freedom than it is about waiting for more money or following the rules.

I live very comfortably. I have a nice emergency fund built up. No expensive 2nd homes or vacations, and I still have to budget a little for taxes and high ticket house maintenance items. My income is stable and even if one of the legs of my 3 legged stool falls off, I can still survive.

But the bottom line is I caused no more damage to my hands and upper body. I look a heck of a lot younger than my chronological years. I am in the best physical shape at age 56 than I had ever been during the w*rking years.

So, yes, find a way to DO IT NOW !!!!