Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

do my plans really need put off?
Old 03-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

do my plans really need put off?

Hi, I was all set to retire in May at age 61. Financials are in good shape, and then bad news from a Dr. visit, high PSA. Cancer confirmed and surgery completed. Everything looks good going forward but you do not know for sure. Many scans and tests still to come. Big question now is health care and preexisting condition coverage, especially with the ACA battles coming. Cobra covers 18 months, so I have a two year gap before Medicare. Current plan is to work 2 more years to bridge the gap, but is that really the best (only) option?
IndyGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

stay strong Indy. Make sure work doesn't stress you out. Any chance for employer retiree health coverage?

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's a really hard decision. Personally I don't see guaranteed coverage with ACA or its possible replacement going away, but if it does, you are almost certainly screwed with a pre-existing condition. With changes you could possibly have continued coverage but in a much higher risk pool with higher rates, like high-risk car insurance. I haven't heard this proposed but who knows?

If it were me I'd probably wait until the ACA battles settle back down, which might not be until after the 2020 election? Or beyond, depending on how that goes.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems to be a stark lesson in time > $. Provided the test results are favorable, I'd probably stick to my plan in your shoes.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The water is fine come on in. I'm 62 and before ACA couldn't buy insurance at any price. They'll be 20mm of us who are unable to get insurance without the protections of ACA. I don't see it going away without a replacement.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but good to hear that you have a good prognosis.

It might be that the federal government will get crafty and say that you can't be denied health insurance because of pre-existing conditions but will instead allow health insurers to charge higher premiums for people with pre-existing conditions (about 25-30% of the population) which would end up being a distinction without much difference since premiums for people with pre-existing conditions would likely be totally unaffordable.

Even if the federal prohibition on medical underwriting is repealed I think many states will prohibit it. Vermont prohibited it in 1998. Worst case you can always move to a state that prohibits it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That's a really hard decision. Personally I don't see guaranteed coverage with ACA or its possible replacement going away, but if it does, you are almost certainly screwed with a pre-existing condition. With changes you could possibly have continued coverage but in a much higher risk pool with higher rates, like high-risk car insurance. I haven't heard this proposed but who knows?

If it were me I'd probably wait until the ACA battles settle back down, which might not be until after the 2020 election? Or beyond, depending on how that goes.
Agree with the bolded portion. Politically, benefits are rarely taken away.

The failure to repeal/replace the ACA in 2017/18 tells me there is not yet a consensus on what parts of it should change. Not sure that will be more clear in 18-24 months, or there will be the political will to make any significant changes.

OP-I'd not let completely unpredictable political events keep me from moving ahead as planned.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 AM   #8

You only have 4 years until Medicare, the ACA/son of ACA will be around that long (at least). The earliest it could be overturned by the SC would be sometime in 2021, which means it would be good until end of 2022 IMO. And that's assuming the current political representation doesn't change.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I hope you’re feeling well and treatment was successful. Personally I’d keep working until COBRA could bridge to Medicare—maybe you can coast a bit more at work? But who knows—COBRA could become a political target too.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

MY 2 cents FWIW. I remember very early in the Trump administration, the rules proposed about pre-existing were if you had continued in force insurance you were able to keep your coverage. If you had no insurance and wanted a new policy you could be subject to screenings, with the idea you can't buy insurance after you develop a problem.

It went nowhere but I feel this could the blueprint for future changes.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:40 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Do not negate the effect of stress on health.
If your work is too stressful and you are good to go, why not follow your plan and retire in a few months? You will have the time to make healthier meals, more time to relax/walk/exercise (if you don't do these things already).
I don't think ACA is going anywhere soon.
Enjoy retired life!
Best wishes for continued good health.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGolfer View Post
Hi, I was all set to retire in May at age 61. Financials are in good shape, and then bad news from a Dr. visit, high PSA. Cancer confirmed and surgery completed. Everything looks good going forward but you do not know for sure. Many scans and tests still to come. Big question now is health care and preexisting condition coverage, especially with the ACA battles coming. Cobra covers 18 months, so I have a two year gap before Medicare. Current plan is to work 2 more years to bridge the gap, but is that really the best (only) option?
It's certainly not the only option. You could retire in May, use Cobra and/or ACA plans and go back to work if you believe the ACA will go away without a satisfactory replacement.

If the worst case scenario comes to pass, you wouldn't be the only one doing that.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The water is fine come on in. I'm 62 and before ACA couldn't buy insurance at any price. They'll be 20mm of us who are unable to get insurance without the protections of ACA. I don't see it going away without a replacement.
+1 Easy for us retired folks to say, but while your concern is understandable, I also think it's unlikely. From another prostate cancer survivor, I'm glad to see you came out of your treatment well.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Indy - all the best sir.
I'm almost 60 and am dancing with the dam cancer.
Just had the needle biopsies done in Sep last year - with negative results.
Looks like a potential repeat due to high PSA readings...again this year....
Again, best wishes and hoping you are cured
If possible - I would retire.......I'm planning to go at end of this year
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

IndyGolfer - good to hear everything went well and hope your health stays good.
There are many of us depending on the ACA, but are willing to live with whatever the gov't throws at us.
Always try to develop a plan B. I have one and it certainly does not include going back to work.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
There are many of us depending on the ACA, but are willing to live with whatever the gov't throws at us.
Always try to develop a plan B. I have one and it certainly does not include going back to work.
So if you are depending on the ACA, what is your plan B, if it doesn't involve going back to work?
Old 03-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

You didn't say whether your employer has top notch benefits, including sick leave, etc. I would say keep on working watching your health carefully--if your job is not too miserable and high stress to work at.

If I had been in your position with my ex-company and retired, I could have taken off on sick leave and receive full pay for 6 months while trying to get on social security disability. Then I could have retired and got paid for accrued vacation, start my pension and receive a pay supplement until age 62 when I could get into drawing regular Social Security. And I had a Retiree HSA that paid $420 a month for the company's retiree healthcare that would cover my healthcare until Medicare started. We were fortunate to have super benefits.

I'm just glad you've faced the illness head on, and you should have a good prognosis. You know what they say about prostate problems if we men live long enough. Many live for decades.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
So if you are depending on the ACA, what is your plan B, if it doesn't involve going back to work?
Suck up the extra costs for the maximum of 2 years before hitting Medicare, while adjusting some other discretionary costs to offset as necessary.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:18 AM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Suck up the extra costs for the maximum of 2 years before hitting Medicare, while adjusting some other discretionary costs to offset as necessary.
If you can suck up the extra costs, then you aren't depending on the ACA.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
If you can suck up the extra costs, then you aren't depending on the ACA.
Just semantics in the end.
I receive ~11k a year in tax subsidies, so yes depending on those ACA subsidies, so can spend it for other stuff.
If I have to pay the 11k yearly for 2 years, then I will do so and it will affect other spending.