Join Early Retirement Today

Do you crave a cup of Joe?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
gone traveling

Do you crave a cup of Joe?

If you are an excessive consumer of coffee, it could be in your genes:

Coffee Addiction May Be Grounded in Genes
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I knew it, it isn't my fault that I almost run to the kitchen in the morning to get my coffee made. Then I want to go down the street and get some espresso a few hours later.

Ha
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Define "excessive"?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a moderate coffee drinker (2 cups, black, in the morning), as were my parents. So is my older sister. And my LH. My son, on the other hand is a dedicated loose-leaf tea drinker. Mom and sister like(d) milk in their coffee, though.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I knew it, it isn't my fault that I almost run to the kitchen in the morning to get my coffee made. Then I want to go down the street and get some espresso a few hours later.

Ha
Well the coffee cafe was almost literally invented in the Pacific Northwest, so I suppose that's why.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Define "excessive"?

One cup o' foo foo coffee for me in the morning (with a splash o' JD).

Occasionally I'll have a frosty coffee drink with milk, chocolate syrup, vanilla, and mint in the afternoon.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, and where is that CuppaJoe?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a small cup first thing in the morning, then a tall americano, black after the gym. I learned to like my coffee black, that way you always get it the way you want! Plus you save all those calories. A tall americano, black is only like 10 calories. But I don't think I could survive these days without it. But I didn't start drinking coffee until I was like 35, not sure how I got through graduate school without it.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
I have a small cup first thing in the morning, then a tall americano, black after the gym. I learned to like my coffee black, that way you always get it the way you want! Plus you save all those calories. A tall americano, black is only like 10 calories. But I don't think I could survive these days without it. But I didn't start drinking coffee until I was like 35, not sure how I got through graduate school without it.
I did not drink coffee until after my son was born, when I was 28. He was not a sleeper and I was tired much of the time. My husband made coffee for himself and I began to join him to get a jolt of energy. My breakfast all through college was a toasted bagel with cream cheese, a glass of skim milk and a glass of orange juice....no coffee ever. It is good to blame something on my son for a change!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

It was only when I started taking Alendronate once a week -- you have to wait 30 minutes to drink coffee -- how much I crave an immediate cup of coffee first thing!!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I love coffee, but have to limit my consumption to 1-2 cups in the morning or else I will be up all night. If coffee did not disturb my sleep patterns, I would probably drink far too much.

I read somewhere (a dubious source) that even plain black morning coffee causes a blood sugar spike. How odd! I am not sure why this is the case, if it is indeed true. And if this is the case, I wonder if blood sugar spiking contributes to the desire for morning coffee.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I can not handle coffee. More than 1/2 cup per day and I am wired for 12 hours.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never drank coffee in my life nor tea. But put a piece of chocolate anything in front of me and I'll devour it at any time of the day.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Define "excessive"?

Yes, I don't get this "excessive" thing, when it comes to coffee. Does that mean you are drinking it faster than you can brew it? I'm confused.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #15

I grew up smelling the aroma of fresh brewed coffee every day, so I'd imagine that my continual craving for the bean is a habituated response. I can't drink caffeinated coffee anymore so I drink decaf, the best possible roast from Whole Foods and my local coffee house. Delicious!

Have to admit though, I have a much better personality if I have a little caffeine in me.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
I have never drank coffee in my life nor tea. But put a piece of chocolate anything in front of me and I'll devour it at any time of the day.
Yeah! Now you're talking!

Coffee - Yuk
Tea - Blech, but I could drink it if I really really had to.

Mmmmmmm... chocolate... mmmmm... light, dark, sweet, semi-sweet... all good... mmmmm
Old 04-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Define "excessive"?
You need to decide for yourself what excessive means (eg at what point do your get overly wired, affects stomach acid, what does your Dr recommend, etc). For me, it would be > 4 cups/day, but I have cut back to 2 cups/day at the office and 3 cups on weekends at home when I can brew my own blend.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #18

One big cup (15oz) in the morning right after I get to work. Sometimes, but not always, I'll have a 2nd cup later in the morning or maybe even after lunch. That's it for the day. On the weekends, one cup at breakfast, but maybe only about 1/2 the time. I don't think I have a coffee habit, since I can take it or leave it. When I do have a cup, I prefer it relatively strong, though. And....I think caffeine-free coffee is pointless...
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Mr B likes caffeinated coffee made strong. He is a zombie in the AM and "needs" the caffeine.

I have enough natural energy, so I stick with decaf all the time. I like extra sugar and milk. I make 2 miniature Mr Coffee (4 cup) pots of decaf per day, and drink it throughout the day. I like it chilled also.
If there is no decaf available out in the real world, I either skip it or limit caffeinated coffee to 1 cup. I prefer to get my caffeine from chocolate.

So he gets up earlier, makes his own pot, puts the extra in an insulated travel mug to the side, then makes my first pot of decaf for me.

Safety tip: Always unplug your coffee maker when you are not home.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Define "excessive"?
...anyone who has more than you?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote