Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I do water aerobics three times a week. The class is about 40 minutes of aerobics, ten minutes of weights, and ten minutes of stretching. I love the water and the class. It doesn't seem like exercise. I also play water volleyball twice a week. We play for about an hour and a half of pretty vigorious play.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cattusbabe brings up another good suggestion--find a friend to walk with. Time will probably go faster, please you'll motivate/guilt each other to get out there.

Or if going alone works better for you and music on the ipod doesn't work, try audio books, and only allow yourself to listen while walking. Audio CDs are easy to convert to mp3 format for an ipod, or you can find an old CD or cassette walkman.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Shoe , I was like you . I found exercise necessary but boring now I go to white water aerobics and I love it . The women are fun and it is a good work out . I do this three days a week and two days I do other cardio and I lift weights three days also . I used to be a nurse so I got plenty of exercise on the job but now that I'm retired I 'm a gym rat .
What is white water aerobics? I have done water aerobics when injured but have never hears of the "white" part?

MB
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #24

Ah, one of my favorite subjects.

I may fit into the "addicted category" that someone mentioned. I don't consider (most) aerobic exercise "work." It is ususally one of the best parts of my day.

I run, road bike, mountain bike, swim, roller-blade, kayak and do the various machines (elliptical, stairmaster) at the gym when I can't get outside. Everything is fun except for the gym machines which can sometimes get monotonous. Given a choice I would always do something outside.

A typical week will be 3-5 days of running, 1-2 days biking, 1-2 days of swimming and 1-2 days of weight training with other things thrown in on a less frequent basis.

My philosophy is that my workouts should start at my front door. e.g. I bike to the pool to swim and to the local open space preserve for trail runs. I drive only when absolutely forced to.

I live in CA so I usually have the advantage of good weather but usually I don't let weather stop me. I have done 6 mile runs in 100o temperatures. I once did an 8 miler along the Charles in Boston in the dark on a day that set a record for low temp. I think that I had four layers on top and three on bottom.

Todays run was an interval w***out:

- 2 mile warmup
- 12 x 400 meters with a 90 rest between intervals
- 2 mile warmdown

About 7 miles total.

MB
Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I play golf 5 days a week but I do ride in a cart. But in this heat, I sweat off a few pounds each week on the course. I also take my mutt on a 4 mile hike twice a week plus I keep up 2 yards. So I think I get plenty of exercise. Now, just need to cut way back on deserts.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 PM   #26

I try to do 4 days aerobic and 2 days weight lifting. During the week is two aerobics (30 mins on a machine inthe gym) and 2 weight lifting sessions (takes over an hour). Weekends is usually tennis on a Saturday and cycling on a Sunday.

However this last couple of weeks w*rk has been getting in the way so I've fallen off the wagon somewhat and I've a few weekday sessions, but I'm determined to get back on schedule as I really do believe it makes a big difference to long term health and fitness.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't work out every day. I really wish I could. Somedays, like today, I am soooo exhausted when I get home. I work in healthcare, and I am on the go-go-go the entire day. Lifting people, walking, bending, lifting again, etc. etc.

So, I average aerobic exercise 3 times, sometimes 4 times/week. I am completely addicted to a dance fitness workout I do, called Dance Trance (www.DanceTranceFitness.com, Dance Trance). Unfortunately, there are no studios near me, but I have learned enough routines that I can do the ones I know at home alone. Every once in a while I travel to the studio and learn a new routine or two, to keep from getting bored.

To keep variety, I do step aerobics at least once a week. My YMCA lets non-members take any class for $3. What a steal! Since I wouldn't use the facilities often, it works out much cheaper than the monthly membership. They've just started new spinning class - may give that a try soon.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Man, Goonie, I would love to see pictures of your gardens.
One of these days when I have time, I'll try to get some pix uploaded to a Picasa Web Album.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:26 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm working on an indoor routine, sort of a bastardized circuit training routine of push-ups, sit-ups, and some dumbbell work to fit the new yob schedule and the summer heat.

Yeah, sometimes it's a drag, but I always feel better when I'm finished! And I ain't getting any younger, "Younger Next Year" notwithstanding...
HFWR: Sounds like with what you are doing, you may want to take a look at the crossfit.com website. Watch some videos of participants, see what you think of their intense indoor workouts. I think people get hooked on it pretty quick... Our "boot camp" instructor does crossfit and tries to incorporate some of their concepts into our class. It really kicks your butt!!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #30

I'll ask my mom if she would mind if I posted her story. She was a size 20+. She's now a size 6.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Among surfing, taekwondo, getting ready for taekwondo, and home improvement/yardwork I can't help but get at least 30 minutes/day.

And I never turn down an offer to take a spouse walk.

Sometimes it seems, though, that I spend at least 12 hours/day reading articles admonishing us to work out at least 30 minutes/day.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I used to be in the "I do it but I hate it and it's boring" camp. I now enjoy it more. Possible reasons:

1. MP3 player
2. I exercise harder
3. Younger Next Year convinced me that it makes a big difference
Ditto for me, plus I got into biking which makes the cardio portion fun. In the winter I have to revert to an elliptical trainer which takes me back into the boring camp.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
What is white water aerobics? I have done water aerobics when injured but have never hears of the "white" part?

MB

At my gym it refers to intense cardio in the water so it really is a workout .
Old 06-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I swim 1800m 3 times a week. My times are a LOT slower than Grumpy's but its better than the alternative which is nothing.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I don't work out every day. I really wish I could. Somedays, like today, I am soooo exhausted when I get home. I work in healthcare, and I am on the go-go-go the entire day. Lifting people, walking, bending, lifting again, etc. etc.

So, I average aerobic exercise 3 times, sometimes 4 times/week. I am completely addicted to a dance fitness workout I do, called Dance Trance (www.DanceTranceFitness.com, Dance Trance). Unfortunately, there are no studios near me, but I have learned enough routines that I can do the ones I know at home alone. Every once in a while I travel to the studio and learn a new routine or two, to keep from getting bored.

To keep variety, I do step aerobics at least once a week. My YMCA lets non-members take any class for $3. What a steal! Since I wouldn't use the facilities often, it works out much cheaper than the monthly membership. They've just started new spinning class - may give that a try soon.
Don't discount the activity you are engaged in at work. In my opinion it all counts. When I was still working in nursing I used to joke that I should wear a pedometer to see how many miles I clocked on a given 12 hour shift. I never did it but wish I had. Try it you may be surprised.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

20 min resistance exercise bike in morning preceded and followed by stretches. Also 40-60 girl push ups and 30 sit ups. 5 days a week before work. Takes ~40 minutes total - probably aerobic the whole time.
Old 06-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #37

I just read "Younger Next Year for Women" as a result of another thread and am now much more motivated to get more exercise. I had been doing my usual hiking in the good weather then using the gym in the winter and slacking off on the weight training. Now I realize how important hard aerobics and weight training really is, so I'm stepping it up. I hike my usual trail for one hour but am taking a steeper side trail for 10-15 minutes to bump up the intensity.

One thing I learned from the book is rather interesting, that our primative brain interprets abundant food and lack of intense exercise as, paradoxically, imminent starvation and consequently starts to pack on the pounds. In contrast, intense exercise 6 days a week with a moderate diet causes the body to think everything's ok and to drop weight. Very weird, but based on lots of the latest research. I highly recommend the book!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Six or seven days per week - if it's spring/summer/fall and not raining, I do a power walk/jog for one hour every morning before w*rk. As long as I'm back to the house by 6:00 a.m., I can get showered, dressed and to the office on time. Winter or bad weather, I do the ellipitical machine out in the garage. I also have some videos (Leslie Sansone Walking and The Firm) that I do to shake things up a little bit. Have hand weights and a stretch band for weight work, wich I use 4-5 times per week.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #39

I try to go to the gym most weekdays, and if I can't, I try to get a 30 min walk in at lunch. Its getting so hot and humid here though that the walk is getting harder to do. Also, the temp is kept so warm at the gym that I get heat rash when I push a little too hard...we need to get some fans in there in front of the treadmills and ellipticals...

R
Old 07-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #40

I'm starting to take 30 minute walks during the day in addition to starting Atkins to jump start some flab loss. Working out OK, tho the hot humid weather is killing me!

There is a nice gym here, I just need to get over there...