Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I did a lot of swimming last week. My running days are over. Light weight lifting is OK. I'm just not built for it. I'd really like to get a pool and keep swimming though. The only problem is that I am around Western New York and the pool would at best be open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

-Raymond

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post
I did a lot of swimming last week. My running days are over. Light weight lifting is OK. I'm just not built for it. I'd really like to get a pool and keep swimming though. The only problem is that I am around Western New York and the pool would at best be open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

-Raymond

My daughter lives in Western New York . Pool season is Jul4th to Jul.6th .

Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by popowich View Post

-Raymond
You're talking about swimming in an outdoor pool. What about local gyms? Are there any with indoor pools (and decent times for lap swims)?

-- Rita
Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

An hour Weight training with some cardo 3 days a week.
3-4 miles Nordic walking (it use poles like x-country skiing) ~3 days a week.
30 minutes on Wii Fit 15 out of the last 30 days

I think weight training is the most important for weight control. Muscle burns more calories than fat so it is kinda of like compound interest.

I wear a body bug a high tech calorie counter, and I have found that
I burn as much with Wii Fit 6-7 calories a minute as I do in my weight training class.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally solved my problem of exercise apathy and I am thrilled. All my life I've been a morning person which is why I wasn't enjoying evening exercise (DOH!). DH has T2 diabetes and had to walk after a meal, so to join him I had to do the same. I hated it. Walking on a full stomach I felt horrible. Athletic trainer son suggested early morning walks by myself and it has worked wonders! I am up at 5am anyway so walking at 6am is easy and peaceful in the cool NE Ohio mornings. I can't believe that I am actually looking forward to it because I never thought I could feel like this!
Old 07-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
I finally solved my problem of exercise apathy and I am thrilled. All my life I've been a morning person which is why I wasn't enjoying evening exercise (DOH!). DH has T2 diabetes and had to walk after a meal, so to join him I had to do the same. I hated it. Walking on a full stomach I felt horrible. Athletic trainer son suggested early morning walks by myself and it has worked wonders! I am up at 5am anyway so walking at 6am is easy and peaceful in the cool NE Ohio mornings. I can't believe that I am actually looking forward to it because I never thought I could feel like this!
Great! Congratulations on persisting until you found something that works for you!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 PM   #47

My partner and I put our house on the market and are renting a townhouse in Portland. We were living about 35 miles outside of the city. I was getting no excercise at all.

Since moving I bought a crank forward bike:

Spin Cyclz...RANS 07 crank forwards

It's a blast to ride. I've been commuting to work on it, about 45 minutes each way. On the few days that I can't ride it in I really miss it.

This week I'm going to start lifting weights four days a week for 1/2 hour before I go home. I enjoy lifting weights but got out of the habit.

On weekends my partner and I usually either backpack overnight or go for a day hike.

I've lost seven pounds since moving in April. I'd like to drop down from a 29" waist to a 28" waist in my levis (OK, my waist is actually hanging over the waist band, so I'd like to comfortably fit back into my 28" levis).

I'm really going to be bummed when the rain starts.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moemg, since you do water aerobics---or anyone else who knows----is 30 minutes of water aerobics equivalent to twice the amount of time jogging on land? Our aerobics instructor actually claimed it was equivalent to 2.5 hours of jogging! I know the water offers some resistance, but this doesn't seem possible! And don't really know what she meant---calories burned? Oxygen levels?

I've been loving the water aerobics. It's a lot of fun. Relaxing and invigorating at the same time. Watching a bunch of (mostly) seventy and eighty year olds screaming "tequila!" at the end of that song is quite entertaining!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #49
gone traveling

Does sex count?
Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Moemg, since you do water aerobics---or anyone else who knows----is 30 minutes of water aerobics equivalent to twice the amount of time jogging on land? Our aerobics instructor actually claimed it was equivalent to 2.5 hours of jogging! I know the water offers some resistance, but this doesn't seem possible! And don't really know what she meant---calories burned? Oxygen levels?
Well, if looking at calories burned, no way. According to the Mayo Clinic (Exercise for weight loss: Calories burned in 1 hour - MayoClinic.com), a 160# person burns on average 292 cals per hour of water aerobics, compared to 986 cals per hour of running (at 8 mph). Even jogging at 5 mph burns 584 cals.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Does sex count?
Does it last 30 minutes ?

- Ron
Old 07-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #52
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Does it last 30 minutes ?

- Ron
Do you mean each time?!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #53

3 miles jogging ~4 days a week.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #54

As a type II diabetic, my "running days" are over. Due to possible nerve damage, I'm regulated to a fast walk (on the treadmill - to ensure that I'm exercising at a good pace).

Some days, it's just hard to do. Even though I know I need to exercise (diagnosed back in 2001) and the relationship between exercise and keeping my A1C in "good condition", I still get "those days".

This afternoon, I returned from a trip from a local rehab hospital. While visiting my relative (in physical therepy), I saw a young man (young - since he is younger than me) with a bandaged foot. We got to talking, and he said that he had been there for a couple of weeks, and was going home tomorrow. Being that I did not want to "pry", I asked my relative what the story was. I was told that he was a type II diabetic, and that he had all his toes removed from one foot, and a couple from the other.

Guess what? I've got an incentive to keep walking ...

- Ron
Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Do you mean each time?!
Is that more than once in a 24-hour period ...?

- Ron
Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

now that its been 2 months since my foot surgery im starting to get back outside to walk my hour long walks daily
(i also do weight lifting at the gym)
Old 07-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Jane Brody writes in the NYTimes: Fit, Not Frail: Exercise as a Tonic for Aging

Not only should we be doing 30 min of aerobic exercise 5 times a week, but we should be lifting weights as well. That's a lot of work!

I get about an hour of aerobic exercise a day riding my bike about 20 miles, but I'm semi-retired. My spouse who is working, gets about an hour a month. I just can't see folks really following the recommended guidelines in the article.
Actually, I know first hand how effective 20-30 minutes, five to six days a week can be! We also weight train 40 minutes 3 times a week. If one appreciates the knowledge, can envision the results, believes their trainer...the "work" soon becomes part of a daily or weekly regiment.

I dont mean to sound harsh, but my hubby and I were 70-100 lbs overweight for many years. Once we hired a trainer and realized we needed to incorporate this into our lives, it became a habit and we saw incredible results! I took a fall last summer and it took me 13 months to recover. I hurt three discs in my back. My neurosurgeon told me if I hadnt lost 55 lbs before the accident, I would not probably be walking today or ever!

DH and I FIRE'd at 47, living off assets...enjoying life immensely...learning new things!
newlife06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:22 PM   #58

My partner and I just got back from our backpacking trip. It was suppose to be a 22 mile hike around Waldo Lake in Central Oregon. We did all but the last 8 miles. My partner had horrible blisters. The mosquitoes would have carried us away if it weren't for the head nets and Deet (Vietnam level bug spray). We hobbled into a campground on our second day and paid $10 to camp (which burned my @ss to pay to camp) then begged a ride back to our car instead of doing the last 8 miles.

My partner was a real trooper, she had more blisters then I have ever seen, had a leak in her Thermarest (air sleeping pad) - which meant she slept on the hard ground and froze her @ss off, and lost her mosquito head net, but never complained. We were both walking like our feet had been bound since birth.

We fled back to civilization and rented a cheap motel room with a swimming pool. Thank God no one else was at the pool. I was wearing a pair of back and red hearted silk boxer shorts with a polyester t-shirt (cotton kills when hiking). We also cranked up the A/C to sub artic temps and slept on a nice firm mattress. The best part of the weekend was waking up in her arms the next morning. 20 years together and I'm more in love than our first year together. I am so blessed.

We are already planning our next trip and dream of early retirement. On our trip before this last one, as we were hiking out on a Monday we met four early retirees hiking in. I was so envious, they waited for Monday to backpack in knowing they would have the wilderness to themselves as the worker bees sat in their cubicles.

I hope we can stay healthy enough to be able to do this in five years. There are plenty of short hikes we could backpack into and set up a base camp, then do day trips from there.

If any of you like to hike/backpack you must check out the Pacific NorthWest. The waterfalls, trees, lakes, mountains and rivers are absolutely gorgeous. The mosquito season is limited to central Oregon and is basically during the month of July. We don't heartworm our pets in Portland as we don't have mosquitoeshere, it's mainly around the lake areas of central Oregon.

If I upload my photos to a website I'll link to them later. This really is God's Country.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #59

Cool Helen, thanks for the wonderful story--good to see that you and your partner both appreciate that adversity makes for even better experiences! No hotel room is more thoroughly appreciated than the one you have after that sort of experience!

I remember when we lived on our small sailboat one summer in the Bahamas, we stayed in a hotel one night about 2 months in, and it was fabulous. I must have taken four showers and the AC was cold enough to hang meat!

Good that the trip reinforced your FIRE dreams and your love for each other--that is just what vacations are for when we are still w*orking! We'd love to see your pictures--load a couple here if you don't want to upload a bunch to another site!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #60

I'm in the process of losing weight and so far so good (down 32 lbs. since March).

I've found the trick that works for me is watching what I eat, controlling portion sizes and definitely exercise. I walk a minimum of 20 min. a day with the dog (usually 30 min) but I also walk on the treadmill at least 3x/wk for 1 hour at 3 mph. I'd love to run but I find it hard on my knees and I've read that walking is just as effective as running and you're less prone to injury. I also do resistance training a couple of times a week.

Our local paper had the following story a couple of days ago on the amount of exercise it takes to maintain weight loss and I found it very depressing (a minimum of 1 hour of exercise almost every single day....there's not enough hours in the day as far as I'm concerned )

Keeping the weight off takes twice the work