Join Early Retirement Today

Do you do your 30 min of aerobic exercise per day?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you do your 30 min of aerobic exercise per day?

Jane Brody writes in the NYTimes: Fit, Not Frail: Exercise as a Tonic for Aging

Not only should we be doing 30 min of aerobic exercise 5 times a week, but we should be lifting weights as well. That's a lot of work!

I get about an hour of aerobic exercise a day riding my bike about 20 miles, but I'm semi-retired. My spouse who is working, gets about an hour a month. I just can't see folks really following the recommended guidelines in the article.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ride my bike for 1/2 hour and also walk for 1/2 hour everyday, then I eat too much.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm walking for 30 minutes a day. I read alot online about people being addicted to exercise but that's not me. I have to make myself go every single day. I've tried walking various routes, mall walking, track walking.....none of it floats my boat. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The problem is that most people used to have physical jobs that kept them in decent shape. Most don't anymore, as many of us sit behind a desk all day. It can be tough to make the time, but if you're putting on weight, your BP is up, you feel sluggish, and/or get exhausted and sore when you do do something physical, you really need to carve out the time for exercise.

What gets me is the things we pay extra for to make life easier, then also pay gym fees to get the replacement exercise. Self-propelled lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc. I know there are legit reasons for both, but plenty of plenty could do without them. Parking in a further away spot is another thing you can do, or just walk if you can.

shoe, is there something else you could do that might be more interesting to you, like riding a bike, or taking an aerobics class or water aerobics?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Shoe , I was like you . I found exercise necessary but boring now I go to white water aerobics and I love it . The women are fun and it is a good work out . I do this three days a week and two days I do other cardio and I lift weights three days also . I used to be a nurse so I got plenty of exercise on the job but now that I'm retired I 'm a gym rat .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Not only should we be doing 30 min of aerobic exercise 5 times a week, but we should be lifting weights as well. That's a lot of work!
It's only work if it's not fun, or at least something you enjoy....IMHO. I spend a LOT of time outside tending my gardens and landscape......normally average at least 2 hours a day, and at least 5 days a week...usually more. It involves quite a bit of walking, bending, crouching, stretching, and a lot of lifting. When I have time, or need a break, I wander around town looking at other's gardens, or I'll take a bike ride to chill-out. Heck, now that I'm retired I don't think I could find time to go to a gym!

In the Winter time I still get plenty of exercise outside....shoveling snow, landscaping, and walking in the winter wonderland......I LOVE being outdoors in cold weather, and the trails at the local State Parks are far less crowded!!! Plus there's always walking the Florida beaches in mid-winter, or the river-walk in San Antonio, or any number of other places to go explore and enjoy along with getting exercise.

I get a lot more exercise now than I did while I was still a working stiff. Back then, I had to set aside time to go for walks or bike rides to get exercise. Now I have to set aside time to not get exercise. I haven't really changed my eating habits, but have unintentionally lost a little weight due to the extra 'garden-fresh' workouts that I've been getting.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

30 minutes? Yeah I think I do 30 minutes a year... oh you said per day, never mind.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Running Bum and Moemg thanks for the suggestions especially regarding water activity. I would love that! Unfortunately, I have Psoriasis and everyone would run screaming from the pool if they saw me uncovered and the chemicals would not be good for my skin either. OUCH! I will keep trying to come up with something fun.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Did 4 hours biking yesterday to and from work. Nothing today. Like Goonie I spend a lot of time tending to landscape - probably 20 hours per week during the summer.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Not only should we be doing 30 min of aerobic exercise 5 times a week, but we should be lifting weights as well.

I just can't see folks really following the recommended guidelines in the article.
I do a "fast walk" on the treadmill (3.5 mph - slight grade) in addition to 15 minutes on the Bowflex (similar to pull/sit-up's - not necessarily weight training but there is resistance). I do keep to this schedule 5-6 times a week (I give myself 1-2 "exercise break days" each week. More in the summer when I'm busy outside; less in the winter when I'm sitting more.

Bought my first treadmill in 1999. Used it as a clothes hanger for two years until I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes. First year I concentrated on my diet to loose weight and get my counts under control, but just could not do it with diet only. From then on (around 2002) I started taking exercise seriously.

Since I'm an early riser, it was easy enough to take the hour each morning (before I went to work) and keep to the schedule of 5-7 days/week. In retirement, I still do the same, but of course rather than get up at 4am I don't get up till 5 (when the dogs wake me). Knowing that I can grab some ZZZ's in the afternoon (since I retired last year ) makes it a bit easier.

Regardless of what I have planned for the day, I always put the exercise first. If you have time to watch an hour of TV/video/etc, you can certainly exercise . That's why I have a TV in front of the treadmill.

Truthfully, I don't like exercise. However, to help keep my T2 diabetes under control (no pills/shots - just diet/ exercise), I'm willing to make the "sacrifice". I'm 60, and the natural progression of diabetes is that "things will get worse" in the future. I'm just trying to delay the complications as long as I can.

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I work in the garden as well, but that ain't aerobic exercise. I always thought aerobic was when you got your heart rate up to 75% of your max heart rate. Is there a better definition?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
It's only work if it's not fun, or at least something you enjoy....IMHO. I spend a LOT of time outside tending my gardens and landscape.....
Man, Goonie, I would love to see pictures of your gardens.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm doing about 45 minutes on the elliptical machine 4 or 5 days/week. I was up to 60 minutes but I was losing too much weight so I cut off 15 minutes. I also golf at least once per week so this helps me stay active.

Similar to one of the last posters, I find it easy to get the elliptical done in the morning. My energy level is at it's highest and then I'm done for the rest of the day - ready to enjoy my ER. FOUR!
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #14

15 minute fast walk on the treadmill ~4 mph, then 30 minutes of calisthenics on the basement floor every other day. Bike rides if the weather's decent.

I've noticed that if I lay off for a while it takes a long time to get back to where I was.

There is, of course, regular exercise with the 12-oz. curl.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #15

Due to chronic back issues my only vigorous exercise is swimming. For the last 30 years I have spent at least 40 minutes a day, 6 or 7 days a week swimming laps. I generally do between a mile to a mile and a half. Most is freestyle with about 500 yds of backstroke thrown in for variety. When I was younger I did flip turns and pushed the pace to under 30 minute miles. Now I use a snorkel (minimizes twisting motion for breathing - less stress on back) and open turns. Most days its a struggle to break 36 minutes for a mile.

Swimming has become such an ingrained habit that I only skip it if I am really feeling poorly.
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
none of it floats my boat. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
I used to be in the "I do it but I hate it and it's boring" camp. I now enjoy it more. Possible reasons:

1. MP3 player
2. I exercise harder
3. Younger Next Year convinced me that it makes a big difference
Old 06-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
I'm walking for 30 minutes a day. I read alot online about people being addicted to exercise but that's not me. I have to make myself go every single day. I've tried walking various routes, mall walking, track walking.....none of it floats my boat. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Get an iPod. Find some podcasts or music you enjoy. Walk.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have been "working out" in one form or another since the late eighties. When I was "early retired", I was doing weights three days a week, and walking for an hour three days a week. I slipped recently; my excuses are I'm back to being a wage slave, plus the 90+ degree weather (my universal machine is in the garage)...

I'm working on an indoor routine, sort of a bastardized circuit training routine of push-ups, sit-ups, and some dumbbell work to fit the new yob schedule and the summer heat.

Yeah, sometimes it's a drag, but I always feel better when I'm finished! And I ain't getting any younger, "Younger Next Year" notwithstanding...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #19

I got an incline bike and have been doing just about every evening while watch tv or a dvd...goes by pretty fast...do some push ups at work as a break...close the office door...
Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was the poster child for being a couch potato. No more. After looking at my mom's physical condition at 74 after years of sitting in front of the boob tube following her retirement and what was happening to me when I quit work I wanted no part of being so de-conditioned at 53.

Sad to admit I was having trouble carrying a tray up a flight of stairs. Not only was I winded but I needed to hold onto the rail because my legs were to weak to lift me up the stairs. It was ugly. I was never in good shape but held my own while I worked because I had to keep it together enough to do my job. When I quit work what little I could do steadily declined.

My sister came to the rescue when she asked me to start walking with her last spring. I gave it a go and got up to five miles three days per week. When the weather got too cold to walk out doors we started an indoor "power walking" program using DVD's by Leslie Sansone. The both of us liked it so much we do that instead of the walk out doors. I am up to a four mile indoor walk four days per with strength training three days per week using dumb bells or resistance bands. We even got our Mom involved and it has been so gratifying to see her get her mobility back although progress is slow for her.

Sis and I are going to attempt the five mile power walk program in a couple of weeks. We will start it on one day per week and the gradually work to three days.

I feel better now than when I was in my forties. What motivates me on the days I am not feeling it as far as working out goes is remembering what I was like this time last year. I want to drop some weight so will gradually modify my diet to do that. My sister dropped twenty pounds over six months by just switching to diet soda from regular. Little changes do have an effect.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.