Do you have good BP measurement technique?

^Right. I know of two people who stood up, fainted, bounced their heads off a hard floor, and ... died.

What does a drop in BP when you stand up imply? My wild guess is that would be a good sign.

If it happens only occasionally it is probably nothing to worry about, but it may be related to more serious medical issues.

Look up "orthostatic hypotension". It happens to me occasionally, when I'm dehydrated.

If it happens only occasionally it is probably nothing to worry about, but it may be related to more serious medical issues.

Look up "orthostatic hypotension". It happens to me occasionally, when I'm dehydrated.

I have bradycardia, as well as atrial fibrillation, bradycardia is also a problem with bp dropping when standing quickly- I now know.

It was the reason I blacked out and fell. We’ve done exercise classes for years and after a long period on the floor the instructor would often say , stand up slowly if you have low BP. Never really expected to have it ever happen to me, although it didn’t happen in class. It happened one evening after sitting in the recliner for a couple of hours. Stood up quickly to do something and woke up as I hit the coffee table
Alan thanks for the explanation and I hope you are well.

I had a balance therapist who spent a lot of time testing my BP including the testing you described. Sadly I didn't ask him the reason for the BP measurements.

The guy made a significant difference in my quality of life and I'm gratefull I was his patient.

Like RunningBum, I use an Omron monitor and I think it is pretty good.

Whatever you use, take it to the Dr (or someone that knows what they're doing) and have it checked for accuracy. Our Omron is a bit high on the first number. It's also important to get multiple readings. Take it to your next two visits to the DR.

For me, the main thing I care about is trend. Dr. says I'm boarder line high so I watch it from home, and if I noticed it being consistently higher than what Id expect, I'd get concerned..

Alan thanks for the explanation and I hope you are well.

I had a balance therapist who spent a lot of time testing my BP including the testing you described. Sadly I didn't ask him the reason for the BP measurements.

The guy made a significant difference in my quality of life and I'm gratefull I was his patient.

Thanks I am doing just fine for now.

Good info. I didn't know the part about the upper arm. I went from 82 to 74 but supported it basically parallel (maybe too high?) rather than having my elbow at barely about my belly button.

I've also found that if I've fasted for a blood test, my BP will be a lot higher. I have an Omron monitor that I use at home so I don't rely on Dr office monitoring alone.
Whatever you use, take it to the Dr (or someone that knows what they're doing) and have it checked for accuracy. Our Omron is a bit high on the first number. It's also important to get multiple readings. Take it to your next two visits to the DR.

For me, the main thing I care about is trend. Dr. says I'm boarder line high so I watch it from home, and if I noticed it being consistently higher than what Id expect, I'd get concerned..

RunningBum? Jerry1 is telling you that you need to get your Omron checked right away at least twice by someone who knows what they are doing.

Mine measures BP that is perfectly consistent with that measured by my M.D., by hand. It isn't consistent with that measured by the hired help using a machine while asking me a bunch of unsettling questions and expecting immediate responses, sticking a thermometer in my ear, pricking my finger for blood glucose measurements, tightening the sleeve to the point where I yell out in pain, and telling me to do this and that. My doctor asks me to bring my weekly BP record to the office and he looks it over every time.

Last edited:
It probably goes without saying, but never use - or at least rely on - the BP readings from those devices you see in stores (e.g., Walgreens).

They are worthless devices.

I've also found that if I've fasted for a blood test, my BP will be a lot higher. I have an Omron monitor that I use at home so I don't rely on Dr office monitoring alone.

I have noticed the same thing and thought it was related to low blood sugar during fasting.

RunningBum? Jerry1 is telling you that you need to get your Omron checked right away at least twice by someone who knows what they are doing.

Mine measures BP that is perfectly consistent with that measured by my M.D., by hand. It isn't consistent with that measured by the hired help using a machine while asking me a bunch of unsettling questions and expecting immediate responses, sticking a thermometer in my ear, pricking my finger for blood glucose measurements, tightening the sleeve to the point where I yell out in pain, and telling me to do this and that. My doctor asks me to bring my weekly BP record to the office and he looks it over every time.

Not a bad idea to calibrate it, but mine is consistent with what I see at the doc's office and when I give blood, when I know I'm pretty relaxed there.

Well, I not sure but sit in a chair with arm resting on chairs arm and feet flat on floor. I have had a BP unit since last Xmas. I need to take it in a more consistent time frame.

Last year I had a particularly busy nurse attend me while I waited for the doc, and she took it immediately, while asking me lots of questions. I pointed out the issues, and she just said "I always do it this way and consistency is more important than accuracy."

When I saw the doc, she said "I know, but they don't report to me so I can't do anything. I'm happy to take it again, properly."

Nice piece in the news this morning on exactly how you should have your BP measured:

Odds Are They're Taking Your Blood Pressure All Wrong

I have just been out for a vigorous walk and on return followed the advice of the link by sitting calmly at the table for a full 5 minutes before taking my bp and low and below it was normal, 118 over 65. (I am usually in the 130 to 140 range, sometimes over 140 but rarely ever above 80)

Only a single data point I know, but I will follow those guidelines from now on.

Had my annual physical this morning and sure enough.....the nurse did many of the do not things to do. Arm not heart high, didn't rest in the chair 5 minutes and took it over a long sleeve pullover. I came in at 120/80 but I took it at home this morning and it was 105/70. Last night 114/72. It's always higher at the office visit but never high enough to provoke a discussion of BP med's. So not going to worry about it.

Nice piece in the news this morning on exactly how you should have your BP measured:

Odds Are They're Taking Your Blood Pressure All Wrong

Interesting article. This particular idea caught my attention:
If your blood pressure appears high, your doctor's office should take a reading in both arms. And next time you come in, the reading should be from the arm that showed the higher blood pressure.

I've always used my left arm. I'll try alternating arms to see if there is much change.

I have just been out for a vigorous walk and on return followed the advice of the link by sitting calmly at the table for a full 5 minutes before taking my bp and low and below it was normal, 118 over 65. (I am usually in the 130 to 140 range, sometimes over 140 but rarely ever above 80)

Only a single data point I know, but I will follow those guidelines from now on.
That 5 minutes quiet sitting is critical. That's how I always take it at home.

That 5 minutes quiet sitting is critical. That's how I always take it at home.
But note that the article mentioned a different wait period for after exercise.

Back
Top Bottom