Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I recommend this book:

Amazon.com: The Insomnia Answer: A Personalized Program for Identifying and Overcoming the Three Types ofInsomnia…
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Retirement is sooooo nice.

I sleep when I want to.
I stay awake when I want to.
I nap when I want to.
My DW keeps me awake all night...

MY GF keeps me awake all day...

Retirement is stressful; I get no sleep at all ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just put a hold on it at the library. All copies are checked out but I'm next in line. Thanks for the suggestion.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

If I'm awake 15 minutes after I go to bed, I've got to get up. I hate to toss and turn.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
There's your solution, right there. Walk a couple of miles a day. That's really all it takes. I get my weekly walking quota from geocaching, but any excuse will do. Walking is proper cardiac exercise.

It's not irrational to think that it's a bit weird to pay money to get into a fashion competition and run on a treadmill indoors when you could be walking (or running, but no need at menopause age) free of charge outsid. Unless you live in a war zone, I suppose.

But, I wonder if you can really do it. I'm not sure if you're sincere about the walking. (Yes, I am saying this to get you angry and go out and do it!)
If you think getting me mad will make me go do it, guess again. I was sincere when I said I enjoy walking, but only if there is some purpose to it. I walk from the bus stop to my office every workday; I often walk from my office to the main library, the post office, the bookstore; I walk from my home to the bank, library or grocery store. I walk all those places because it's the easiest and most efficient way to go from one to the other, but I only walk if I need to go there, not just to be walking. If there was somewhere I needed to go every day that was a couple of miles from somewhere else I need to go every day (and there was no bus between them), maybe I would walk as much as you suggest, but there isn't, so I don't. None of those walks are more than half a mile, and most of them are probably a good deal less than that. Maybe when I start looking for land to build my retirement house, I should make sure I am not quite so close to places I know that I will walk to.

What I refuse to do is invent ways to expend energy. The easiest and most efficient way to get from where I am now to where I am now is to stay put, and I'm not going to walk for half an hour to get to the same place I could arrive at with zero expenditure of time or energy. The only thing less likely is that I would pay for the privilege, and fat chance that will ever happen!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Exercise. I knew someone would say that. I HATE AND DETEST the very idea of exercise, running and running and going nowhere , like a hamster in a wheel! There has been a gym right across the street from my house since a few months after I moved here in 1997. I've never yet darkened their doorstep and I never, ever, will! I don't mind (in fact I rather enjoy) walking to get from here to there, but I absolutely refuse to walk (or worse yet run) from here to here, or put on a leotard and prance in the window for all to see! Aaaarrrggg!
I am not sure I understand.... maybe you should make it a bit more clear how you feel....

Oh dear, no. If I were to express my deepest feelings on the matter, I fear I might forget myself and say something unladylike.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #27

Sometimes, such as on a Sunday evening, no amount of exercise or abstinence from caffeine will help...for those days, Ambien provides relief. I'm just getting back from vacation, and I can tell you, I won't need the Ambien after ER, but if I expect to be at work tomorrow, I will need one tonight...
Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #28

I am prone to sporadic insomnia, and here is what I would try (caveat: I exercise almost every day, but I won't suggest that):

1) Meditation
2) Keep a pen and paper beside the bed - make lists; "to do" lists running through my head keep me up; if I write it, I can forget it
3) Bath before bed with soft music
4) Skip TV or reading right before bed
5) Herb Tea
6) Stretching before bed/light yoga - 5/10 minutes
7) Exedrin PM

Another thought - last month we bought a new mattress. The old one was about 10 years old. We are both actually sleeping quite a bit better just from that change.

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Well, here it is quarter to three in the morning and I'm still wide awake. This is the second time this month I've been unable to go to sleep until the small hours. I've always had insomnia a few times each year, but I just checked my email for messages to my boss saying I would be late because I couldn't go to sleep, and there were six already this year, though it's only July. That's as many as in all of 2009, and there were more last year than in 2008 and as many as 2006 and 2007 combined. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, and I haven't changed any habits to speak of. I get very little exercise, but I never did in the past either. Likewise I drank black tea before going to bed, but I do the same pretty much every night, and usually don't have any problem sleeping. It could be menopause-related, but what am I supposed to do about it if it is?

I wonder too if I am making it worse. I am such a night owl! I hate having to go to bed before I'm really sleepy, so Friday night is my night to stay up as late as I want to (which is often until four or five AM Saturday), and then I sleep as late as I want to. I wonder if this is throwing my internal clock off even more than it's thrown off by having to go to bed before I'm sleepy the other nights. I have always griped about being a night owl in a morning lark's world, and always been told "you'll get used to it", but I never have and I seem to be getting even more night-owlish the older I get. Well, now I am rambling. Time to go back to bed, turn off the alarm clock, and try to go to sleep.
Menopause will certainly contribute, but imo I highlighted your problem above. I do think some people have more sensitive internal clocks than others - but I suspect every weekend you are throwing off your internal clock by staying up extremely late and then sleeping in really late the next day. By Monday, your body does not want to go to bed at a decent hour or wake up before the day is half over.

I used to get myself in this cycle when I was on vacation. By the 4th or 5th day/night - I found I would be up all night, because I was sleeping in later every day. I finally started forcing myself to get up in the morning by a certain time - regardless of when I went to bed. At a bare minimum, you should make yourself get up Sat and Sun by 7, 8, 9am? No matter how late you stay up. And no naps during the day. It will help limit you late you stay up the next night.

I do think some people are more susceptible to this than others. My son has the exact same issue - says he can't go to sleep at night, so it is hard to get up in the morning. But that is generally after he has stayed up until 3am and slept until noon for 2 days. If he gets in a pattern of going to bed and getting up regularly, he is fine. Problem is - he doesn't "like" it.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Getting some exercise and cutting out caffeine after 6pm won't hurt, though.
Just caffeine?!? Heck, I don't know about the rest of you guys (and here I'm referring specifically to the male gender) but if I want to sleep through the night then after 6 PM I pretty much have to cut out all liquids, medical or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Sometimes, such as on a Sunday evening, no amount of exercise or abstinence from caffeine will help...for those days, Ambien provides relief. I'm just getting back from vacation, and I can tell you, I won't need the Ambien after ER, but if I expect to be at work tomorrow, I will need one tonight...
I never paid much attention to Ambien until a fellow camper mixed one with several glasses of scotch. He had a very ugly night, and thus the rest of us as well.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

sometimes failure to resolve a problem can be due to being fixed in your behaviors and beliefs, so I would say job one is to be open to all the ideas presented here and be flexible enough to try them out and see if any work.

failure to sleep properly can be a slippery slope leading to reduced immune strength and then all the fun that comes from that

for myself, I would be in big trouble with sleep if I did not have a TV in my room, which switches off automatically about 20 minutes after I am lights out.

in spite of the fact that watching television puts my wife to sleep, she refuses to have a TV in her bedroom, I think due to a belief that it is improper somehow, and she pays a price for that in cronic lost sleep.

I also strongly recommend separate bedrooms if there is an issue with sleep.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #32

Kroeran, I agree with you on separate bedrooms if there is an issue with sleep. No point have 2 people with sleepless nights. Thankfully, after many years of separate bedrooms, somehow, DH and I can now share a room and sleep soundly again - I think the issues are with me as I bring too much thoughts and daily baggage to my sleep hours which makes me rather agitated and affected to sleep well. I do have those odd nights when I can't sleep but those are fewer than before. It's great to share a room again - not I truly have a spare room!
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I cannot really predict how well I will sleep, although I think Nords' statement about going easy on liqs after 6 or so is a good start. I used to get somewhat dehydrated during the day when I was out, and come home and drink a quart or so of water, pop, whatever. Then I would always have to pee about half way through the night.

Yesterday I went dancing twice- couple hours around noon, and 3 hours during the evening, but I kept drinking water all the time, so I didn't come home thirsty. I fell asleep on the couch about 10:30 and didn't wake up until 5:45. I peed, then I came back, put my mask on and slept almost until 10. I think both the excercise (lindy) and the fluid management helped me sleep better.

Ha
Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 AM   #34

another trick I read was to keep a night light for the mid-sleep trip to the bathroom - turning on a light fries your melatonin making your body think its dawn

also, keep light levels as low as possible late evening (or after sunset) which stimulates melatonin levels and sleepiness
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote