Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
The perception of Spam in different areas of the country is quite amusing.
My mother (from Hawaii) used to happily make spam musubi until my father shamed her with the comment, "You know, people from the mainland laugh at people who eat spam." So she stopped making spam musubi. But I did notice that my father (also from Hawaii) would sliver tiny bits of spam into his saimin (aka Top Ramen) regularly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
Took this photo a couple of months ago on the north shore of Oahu. Couldn't even fit all the varieties in!

OMG! Next time I go to Hawaii, I'm bringing home a couple cans of Spam with portuguese sausage.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:57 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
.....NOW, when we were young we had spam all the time (we were poor)... mom used to slice it, put brown sugar and a slice of pineapple on top and bake it in the oven.... was actually pretty good from what I remember...
We had Spam sandwiches for the same poor reason, and I liked them.
I haven't eaten any for many decades, and now DW will not let me.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldphd View Post
Took this photo a couple of months ago on the north shore of Oahu. Couldn't even fit all the varieties in!

What you do not see there is REGULAR SPAM
Old 04-27-2016, 12:48 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What you do not see there is REGULAR SPAM
REGULAR SPAM was in the lower center, in the now empty space. I'll call for the stock boy..........
Old 04-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hmmm... How about a taste test between different brands to see for yourself? This could be the subject of a good thread for someone a with discerning palate, as most people could not tell the difference.
Great idea! You go first....
Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Funny timing on this forum. We in Maui recently and very amused by the big Spam display at the Costco in Kahului. On sale too!

When we returned, it turned out Costco had the same sale at home, but only one palette, and under one of the row shelves, not a big setup out on the floor.]

So - if you like spam - $5 off at Costco until May1!!! $14.99 for 8 12oz cans (I think it says). Limit 2. http://www.adamcos.com/Costco/unisho...0407&pg=9&lg=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160413_IMG_2329_Costco_Display.jpg (276.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
My mother (from Hawaii) used to happily make spam musubi until my father shamed her with the comment, "You know, people from the mainland laugh at people who eat spam." So she stopped making spam musubi. But I did notice that my father (also from Hawaii) would sliver tiny bits of spam into his saimin (aka Top Ramen) regularly.
See my post above. Apparently someone on the mainland eats Spam or it wouldn't be for sale in our RGV Costco.

And tell your Dad no one eats saimin on the mainland, LOL!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

You know when a hurricane is coming. NO bread or milk in any grocery stores, and pallets of spam in the aisles.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Great hurricane food-- far tastier than those boxes of dried salmon or the sleeves of "meat" jerky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
BTW there is plenty of real ham available on Oahu. There are lots of pig farms all along the base of the Pali (mountains), or at least there were 50 years ago. Still, it's a bit expensive. Also there are wild boar throughout the rain forests, huge ones, much to the delight of local hunters. Bake one all day in an imu for a luau.
Bummer. You don't want to visit here again if you have those memories.

I think that today there are more feral pigs on the island than domestic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I have a friend who was born in Guam, his mother is Guamanian (dad was US born and caucasian.) He claims that spam is the national food of Guam. They have more flavors and types there than anywhere. He has his cousins ship him some of the ones he can't find stateside.

I guess the nature of living on an island is why it's so popular in Guam and Hawaii.
Although Hawaii has the highest per-capita consumption by state, Guam has the highest per-capita consumption in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The Spam Museum in Austin, Minn. is well worth stopping to see if you're passing through that area. It's not far off the Interstate and has been recently remodeled too! We were there in 2012 and it was really a hoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I visited in 2011 and spent an enjoyable couple of hours there. Well worth the visit if you're in the region.
We were there last weekend! They just had their "soft re-opening" after 18 months of renovations. The grand opening is in July.

We spent a couple hours wandering around, and that's where I found the Hawaii/Guam consumption statistic quoted above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3633.JPG (471.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3609.JPG (450.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3629.JPG (436.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3606.JPG (472.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3615.JPG (459.8 KB, 11 views)

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #71

Love the pics and facts, Nords!!!!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

We saw fried spam musubi delivered at Da Kitchen restaurant in Kahului.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
When my father was growing up on a farm during the Depression, they used "everything but the squeal" from a pig. I had a friend who grew up poor on a farm in the 60s who did the same. It was just common sense not to waste anything.

My Chinese friends just love a treat of chicken feet.

And then you get into preferences about organ meats, which I personally think are offal good, but many wouldn't touch.
Offal is awful, unless it's in fancy sausages. Then I love it!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:40 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We saw fried spam musubi delivered at Da Kitchen restaurant in Kahului.

OMG! OMG! I would pay good money for that! Looks so good . . . but it's a heart attack on a plate.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am a Spam eater. in fact, I always carry a can in the warm cooler in my truck. Good out of the can or fried. Sandwiches, and to share with the dog on outings.

Pam...Don't take my Spam!
https://soundcloud.com/spam-brand/pam-spam
Old 05-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Told my wife that Spam is not so bad after all. BUT when we went back to Costco, the $5.00 rebate was gone. So, I'm picking up Spam once Costco is on sale again.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
SPAM is great! I'd go back to church and start taking Holy Communion again if it had a slice of SPAM on it.

Back before I had to stop eating intense carbs I invented a new oriental dish: SPAM fried rice!

I think the Mark of Cain against SPAM is as someone mentioned it's highly high in sodium. Also, the pork and ham also includes a ton of FAT! It's like salami or baloney. Fat is used as an extender. If you have no problem with those two things I really don't understand what people have against it

I had to stop eating it because there is an antibiotic I have had an adverse reaction to that has a veterinary equivalent and if I eat meat from an animal that's been given that drug I will get bad reaction to it. So I limit my animal flesh to organic , wild, or otherwise verifiable as not having received antibiotics

Now, if they came out with organic SPAM .....
No food sold for public consumption has antibiotics in it....from milk to meat it's all carefully monitored. How would you have a reaction to meat from an animal that had carefully monitored vet care and proper withdrawal? I'm curious about this ,as far as organic meat, it reality it all about the honesty of the person producing the food. If you do it for peace of mind,I understand that but I hate for the public to misunderstand the quality of food on the selves in the grocery stores.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Just had some SPAM last weekend in Abu Dhabi!.....it wasn't the actual purpose of the visit there but a pleasant bonus! (plus a bunch of bacon, ham, ribs and some pork chops too!)

Old 05-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

pizza

So on the topic of SPAM, has anyone every wondered why a Hawaiian pizza is "Canadian" bacon and pineapple?? It just doesn't make any sense so I will be making a true Hawaiian style pizza this week with diced SPAM (low sodium variety) and pineapple and then cooking it on our Traeger which is where I cook most of my pizzas these days.

I'll share a pic when it is done!! I may even sprinkle some Lychee powder on the pineapple like they taught me the last time I stayed in Oahu.

and no offense to all the Canadians living in Hawaii......
Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #80

Well I was on the front line producing meat and milk for 30 years, working with my vet, so I guess I must be uneducated and uninformed....I'm going to have to disagree about your comment of "slack" monitoring.Improper dosing and withdrawal times will result in condemned meat.

It must be very stressful to have a serious allergy.