Join Early Retirement Today

Do you like eating Spam ? DW and I argue about Spam
Old 04-24-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you like eating Spam ? DW and I argue about Spam

So, I like eating Spam luncheon meat sometimes, maybe once a month.
At certain point I stopped for months now, because DW keeps telling me it's processed food.

Well, I just read an article (link below) says it has 5 ingredients - (1) ham&pork shoulder, (2) salt, (3) sugar (a little), (4) water and (5) sodium nitrate (preservative) to counter any bacteria. Basically, it's pork ham & shoulder in a can. Historically, it's called Spam for 'spiced ham', and has been the food staple of the US army and Hawaiians. One 85 yr old guy says he eats it weekly.

Healthy benefits of SPAM - Daily Dose with Jack Harrison - Official Site | Daily Dose with Jack Harrison - Official Site

I read that if any food has more than 5 ingredient, it is processed food. So, Spam does not fall in that definition of processed food. I also like to occasionally buy and eat a corned beef brand from New Zealand called 'Palm', because it only has 4 ingredients (beef, water, salt, and sodium nitrate). I will never eat something with monosodium glutamate. And I think New Zealand beef is one of the best quality beef, probably better than Australian beef.

Do you meat eaters eat this stuff ??
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
So, I like eating Spam luncheon meat sometimes, maybe once a month.
I'll go through a can of Spam probably about every couple of months.
Sliced thin and fried in butter, it's wonderful with eggs, or in a sandwich.

Quote:
I will never eat something with monosodium glutamate.
I sprinkle MSG on lots of food. I've done so since I was a little kid, at which time I used to just pour a bit into the palm of my hand and lick it up.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One reason I didn't retire sooner was to be sure I had enough financial resources to insure I'd never have to eat Spam.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I sprinkle MSG on lots of food. I've done so since I was a little kid, at which time I used to just pour a bit into the palm of my hand and lick it up.
Oh, I've had it on regular re-order for years: Amazon.com : B & G Foods Inc Accent Monosodium Glutamate, 4.5 oz : Mixed Spices And Seasonings : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MSG2.JPG (32.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg MSG1.JPG (16.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Back on topic, I have eaten Spam. It was okay, but didn't strike me as anything great. Beats starving to death I suppose.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

A good article about Spam. Yes, I like it but have not eaten Spam in years.

Spam unfairly gets a bad rap
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:00 PM   #7

((( peaking out from behind the corner where I'm hiding in shame )))

I love spam. We'll dice up a can and brown it - then mix it with eggs - about 1x month.

It's full of fat, salt, and yumminess. I'm not found of it straight from the can (though as a child I would eat spam sandwiches.) But grilled up. Yum.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only thing we ever (very occasionally) do with Spam is something my dad learned to make when he was in the Air Force and in Guam.

It's basically ground beef, diced Spam, fried rice and scrambled egg, with a little soy sauce and seasonings. We add some garlic and minced onions, too.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The only thing we ever (very occasionally) do with Spam is something my dad learned to make when he was in the Air Force and in Guam.

It's basically ground beef, diced Spam, fried rice and scrambled egg, with a little soy sauce and seasonings. We add some garlic and minced onions, too.
I have a friend who was born in Guam, his mother is Guamanian (dad was US born and caucasian.) He claims that spam is the national food of Guam. They have more flavors and types there than anywhere. He has his cousins ship him some of the ones he can't find stateside.

I guess the nature of living on an island is why it's so popular in Guam and Hawaii.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #10

Every time I go camping, at least 1 breakfast is spam and eggs. Heck, it's easy to throw in the grocery bag, doesn't have to be refrigerated, and tastes pretty good. For the 3 or 4 times a year I have it, I'm not going to worry about the salt.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was a kid, my Mom would make us fried Spam sandwiches and macaroni & Cheese for dinner. This was a cheap meal and we loved it. I tried eating the same meal as an adult but I hated it. I haven't eaten Spam since and hate it.
AlbaCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've managed to give up Spam entirely. It was hard, but not quite as hard as giving up smoking. Now I will be dreaming about Spam after reading this thread.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #13

I like Spam, sliced and fried in a sandwich. But I very rarely eat it--less than once a year. I don't know why, other than no one else in my family cares for it. Maybe I'll buy a can to eat the next time DH travels for business.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #14

Oh no sorry. It's just that we went to Costco yesterday and saw the 8 cans of Spam had a $5 discount and wanted to get it because it's been months since I had one, but DW said No. So I did some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I've managed to give up Spam entirely. It was hard, but not quite as hard as giving up smoking. Now I will be dreaming about Spam after reading this thread.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Back in Hawaii, my mother used to fry either spam or ham with fresh pineapple, local bananas, and eggs together in a skillet for breakfast.

BTW there is plenty of real ham available on Oahu. There are lots of pig farms all along the base of the Pali (mountains), or at least there were 50 years ago. Still, it's a bit expensive. Also there are wild boar throughout the rain forests, huge ones, much to the delight of local hunters. Bake one all day in an imu for a luau.

For years I couldn't stand fresh pineapple - - it was 2 cents/pineapple back then on Oahu, and we had fresh pineapple for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks.... Ugh.

As for the spam, it just wasn't as good as real ham IMO. I don't buy it now, although I don't know why not. I don't hate it. I just think of it as fattening and full of preservatives. I try not to eat anything with nitrates if there are alternatives easily available

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

? You know what they do with expired Spam
A. Nothing it doesn't expire!

I am recently off my blood pressure medication. Doc says fine, no spam for you! Too much sodium.

However the ingredients are fitting the definition of "processed food" you're using. I know that stinks, everyone knows what processed food is when they see it.

Ingredient

Pork, Water, Salt, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Nitrite.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size:*1 pkg (71g);*Servings:*1

Calories:*210 ;*Total Fat:*18g (27.69);Saturated Fat:*7g (35);*Cholesterol:*50mg (16.67);*Sodium:*830mg (34.58);*Total Carbohydrates:*2g (0.67);*Dietary Fiber:*0g ;*Sugars:*1g ;*Protein:*9g ;

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-single-classic
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
? You know what they do with expired Spam
A. Nothing it doesn't expire!

I am recently off my blood pressure medication. Doc says fine, no spam for you! Too much sodium.

However the ingredients are fitting the definition of "processed food" you're using. I know that stinks, everyone knows what processed food is when they see it.

Ingredient

Pork, Water, Salt, Modified Potato Starch, Sugar, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Nitrite.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size:*1 pkg (71g);*Servings:*1

Calories:*210 ;*Total Fat:*18g (27.69);Saturated Fat:*7g (35);*Cholesterol:*50mg (16.67);*Sodium:*830mg (34.58);*Total Carbohydrates:*2g (0.67);*Dietary Fiber:*0g ;*Sugars:*1g ;*Protein:*9g ;

SPAMŪ Single Classic | SPAMŪ Brand
Hmmm....low carb Spam....Maybe I'll.....well...no.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #18

Well occasionally, I also open a can of Tuna or a can of Chicken breast chunks for protein, but it does not taste great either.

Spam, if I fried it, with blackened edges, it taste great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Back on topic, I have eaten Spam. It was okay, but didn't strike me as anything great. Beats starving to death I suppose.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #19

Y'all made me hungry for some ham. Didn't have any Spam on hand but did have some sliced ham from the deli. A good bit of that is, as I write, sliced & diced mixed in with some eggs and onions, and to top off the omelet will go a large measure of cheddar cheese.

Oh, and I am going to just have to order some of this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bacon_spam.JPG (45.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-24-2016, 05:31 PM   #20

I used to love opening the can but haven't had Spam since I was a child. My recollection was that I really liked it. May have to try it again!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote