Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Does the screen show the recording playing but no sound or you can't play the sound file?
I click on the Statistics menu and it shows a snore/time graph that spans several hours with data recorded from last night. There appears to be a play button on the graph, when I click it an audio graph opens below it but doesn't play, looks to be locked or frozen. There is data showing up on the snore graph, it's just not playing.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can it tell which of a couple is snoring? I assume it's just using the microphone?

DW claims I snore, sometimes. I dunno, maybe. But I know she snores off and on. Would either of us trigger it?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

DW snores louder than me, thus I do not feel guilty.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think it helps to:
1) sleep on your side (also good for the back)
2) reduce allergy symptoms if possible
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I click on the Statistics menu and it shows a snore/time graph that spans several hours with data recorded from last night. There appears to be a play button on the graph, when I click it an audio graph opens below it but doesn't play, looks to be locked or frozen. There is data showing up on the snore graph, it's just not playing.

Looks like it is not working properly on your android phone. Perhaps email them and ask them if your android version is compatible.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Mp
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can it tell which of a couple is snoring? I assume it's just using the microphone?

DW claims I snore, sometimes. I dunno, maybe. But I know she snores off and on. Would either of us trigger it?

-ERD50

It just uses the microphone, however, you can leave the phone on your side of the bed so yours would be the dominant sound recorded.

Mp
Old 01-12-2016, 09:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It just uses the microphone, however, you can leave the phone on your side of the bed so yours would be the dominant sound recorded.
But that's not the point. I need to prove it is her snoring!

Hah, I'll try it tonight on my side anyway, assuming I remember after reading and setting the tablet down.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Sleep apnea is very serious and does damage your organs and shortens your life. My hubby made me go for sleep study and I had it bad. I lost 35 lbs but still have it. The machine changed my life. YOu would think that it would be difficult to sleep with that contraption on but it is not. They say the people that have it the worst usually adapt the fastest because of how much better they feel. Some people get rid of their apnea when they lose weight and for some it just decreases how bad it is. My dog saw me put it on and ran away) Now she will sleep on the hose.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Hubby snores. Always amazes me that he can go from awake to snoring in 2 min flat. There is no snoring if I can get him to roll on his side. We have also had some success with essential oils, however they sometimes wear off after a few hours.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Are there any low cost home sleep study methods to diagnose sleep apnea? Both the boyfriend and myself have high deductible heath insurance plans. Can one have sleep apnea even if they do not snore all the time or loudly? My boyfriend is tired a lot and needs a lot of sleep. I am an insomniac, though that is probably not from snoring.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:25 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

In 2004 I knew I had to do something, a friend told me I was the only person she knew who would fall asleep mid sentence. I went for a sleep study, 54 interruptions an hour. I tired CPAP and hated it, I did not want to be tied to such a device each night for the next 30 to 35 years. I opted for the surgery. It was two stages at the time. The first one they broke and reset my nose, cut out tonsils and uvola, cut and tightened stretch flesh in my palette. Out of work for 3 weeks, hurt to swallow for 2+ weeks. Lost 14 pounds but it bounced back later. I never took any pain meds after waking up from surgery. Doctor was quite surprised by that but I hate them.

Went back for a sleep study 3 months after, down to 5 interruptions an hour, that is within normal range. Noticed shortly after I was having dreams again and still do. Riding my motorcycle I realized I could smell all sorts of things as I went down the road which I could not smell before.

I was happy to not need second stage of apnea surgery, in that one they were going to put screws in my lower jaw and put in a sling to keep my tongue from sliding back in my throat.

Glad I did it. Since then I usually sleep soundly for 7 hours a night.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
Are there any low cost home sleep study methods to diagnose sleep apnea? Both the boyfriend and myself have high deductible heath insurance plans. Can one have sleep apnea even if they do not snore all the time or loudly? My boyfriend is tired a lot and needs a lot of sleep. I am an insomniac, though that is probably not from snoring.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I have not had any sleep apnea test, however, Snore Clock app is only $2.99 and is a good first step in finding out if your boyfriend may possibly having a problem. It is worth a try.

Mp
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have not had any sleep apnea test, however, Snore Clock app is only $2.99 and is a good first step in finding out if your boyfriend may possibly having a problem. It is worth a try.
There is a free version of Snore Clock for android, I installed it on my tablet and it seems to work well but there are ads that pop up. I tried the Snore Lab app but never could get it to work.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
In 2004 I knew I had to do something, a friend told me I was the only person she knew who would fall asleep mid sentence. I went for a sleep study, 54 interruptions an hour. I tired CPAP and hated it, I did not want to be tied to such a device each night for the next 30 to 35 years. I opted for the surgery. It was two stages at the time. The first one they broke and reset my nose, cut out tonsils and uvola, cut and tightened stretch flesh in my palette. Out of work for 3 weeks, hurt to swallow for 2+ weeks. Lost 14 pounds but it bounced back later. I never took any pain meds after waking up from surgery. Doctor was quite surprised by that but I hate them.

Went back for a sleep study 3 months after, down to 5 interruptions an hour, that is within normal range. Noticed shortly after I was having dreams again and still do. Riding my motorcycle I realized I could smell all sorts of things as I went down the road which I could not smell before.

I was happy to not need second stage of apnea surgery, in that one they were going to put screws in my lower jaw and put in a sling to keep my tongue from sliding back in my throat.

Glad I did it. Since then I usually sleep soundly for 7 hours a night.
I also was diagnosed with sleep apnea and opted to go the surgical route. My doctor said I had a lot of extra tissue in my throat. Had my tonsils out, adnoids out, uvula out, soft palette trimmed back, a nasal turbinate reduction and my deviated septum fixed all in one surgery. Recovery was pretty rough the first four days but then improved quickly. I too was off work for two weeks.

Now, no more snoring for me unless I overdo the adult beverages. Love the difference it made for me. I sleep much more restfully now and don't get tired all of the time. I was only 15-20 pounds overweight so that wasn't really a major factor. I ended up losing the extra pounds during the recovery and have not put them back on.

The biggest benefit though is no longer having DW threaten to banish me to the guest room!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I knew someone that had the surgery but about 5 years later it returned and now he has the machine. I was not even a candidate for the surgery because I had it so bad the doctor said that it would not reduce it enough to make a difference. You can do a sleep study at home but it requires going to the doctor and them hooking you up to stuff you wear that you sleep in that night and then they read it the next day. It probably is cheaper then sleeping in their facility.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote