Join Early Retirement Today

Do You Take Naps?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do You Take Naps?

I was talking to a friend yesterday, it was about 6pm and I said I had better get off the phone, I was ready for my nap. You would have thought I had said I was ready to go torture some kittens! She said she has 2 teenagers, a husband, works full-time and said she was an adult she didn't have time for such silliness. She actually sounded angry with me! We hung up shortly with a distinct chill in the air. I feel like I need to call and apologize for making her feel bad but not sure what to say... maybe she was angry because I said I had to get off the phone? I really don't know...

Every night about 6-7pm, I get sleepy and just lay down on the sofa and sleep and hour or so. I feel better afterwards and I don't think it is a bad thing, right? Many cultures take afternoon siestas, I just take mine a little later than most. Am I being selfish by taking a nap? I feel somehow guilty about them today like I am doing something wrong. However, I told myself that the only one it affects is my dog, and I think he enjoys curling up on the couch for our little naps.

Does anyone else take naps? Do other people get upset about it?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Poll results from a couple of years ago shows napping to be very popular.

Do You Nap?

I'd never lose any sleep over someone getting upset...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Before I ER'ed I used to nap all the time, but since then I never feel the need to nap. I know plenty of retired folks who take naps and I see no problem with the practice.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I sometimes take an afternoon nap. Naps are very underrated.

The trouble I have is limiting my nap to an hour or two. Once I'm sleeping I want to keep sleeping.

My naps are usually start at 2 or 3 pm. I think I would have a hard time taking a 1-2 hour nap at 6-7pm but if it works for you then great!

I think your friend overreacted and sounds like she was envious. I would let it go.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Somewhere between 3 and 5 PM I take a nap for about 60-90 minutes. With my regular sleep getting interrupted more due to having to use the bathroom more often during the night, the naps are more needed than they were before.

Back in my working days, I would usually try to nap on Fridays after I got home if I were going out that night so I could stay up later. I usually arranged my work schedule to leave a little earlier on Fridays. On weekends I would always get that afternoon nap, the same one I can now get every day, which is one of the best parts of being ERed.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
She said she has 2 teenagers, a husband, works full-time and said she was an adult she didn't have time for such silliness.
That's why she's envious. I wouldn't lose any sleep (or nap time) over it.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I am sitting on the couch watching tv, often I get very heavy eyed around 5:00 pm. Like a fool, I try to fend it off but to no avail. Usually nap about 30 minutes and feel pretty good afterwards.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Administrator

One of the nice aspects of retirement is that I can nap whenever I want to nap. Yes, I nap now that I am retired. And yes, I think this person is simply envious and I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of people enjoy napping. Call it a "siesta" if that helps.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I nap a few time a week for 10-20 minutes. When I was at w*rk, I would close the door, set my Jawbone Up for 15 minutes and take a power nap in early afternoon. Most of the time I woke up before the Up alerted me.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #10

Only if I've been outside in the heat doing very heavy work for hours on end, or if I haven't slept well the night before. I'm still too young for a daily nap. (I.e., too many things to do and enjoy to nap).

R
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
I'm still too young for a daily nap.

R
It has been a while since I've seen a more misinformed statement.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It has been a while since I've seen a more misinformed statement.
Hehehehe

R
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #13

It's 11AM and I am beginning feel it's time for a nap.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #14

My husband is the king of nappers. When he worked in an office (works at home now) he'd put his feet on his desk and lean back... his goal was to have his feet above his heart for at least 15 minutes... he read somewhere that was healthy. He often worked in an open office environment (no office or cube walls)... didn't bother him. He'd nap for 15-30 minutes after his lunch every day.

Now he works at home - he naps 2-3 times a day. Some short naps... some long naps.

I've never been a good napper. I can't turn my brain off enough to relax and go to sleep during the day. I'm hoping ER will change that for me.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

No naps here other than the occasional inadvertent 20 minute variety (half dozen times a year or so). But if I find that naps suit me better one day for whatever reason, I wouldn't hesitate...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #16

One little problem with liking and getting used to daily, late afternoon naps on the off and working only a few days a week was that my body got all confused and became very tired on the days I had to work when it was nap time. Trying to do any work after 3 PM became more and more difficult when all I wanted to do was to take a nap.

Glad I was able to resolve that problem in 2008 with ER.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #17

I remember napping in college - after lunch I'd have a little time and I'd take a 15 minute cat nap.

I've been doing that on and off since then. The last decade I was working at home and a well timed cat nap fit into my schedule nicely. 15 minutes would refresh me nicely.

Ironically, now that I have an almost completely free schedule I actually nap less. Maybe I'm getting more sleep at night and just don't feel the need most days.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #18

Napping is the national pastime of Spain. Their motto is ..." Descansa de día para que dormir mejor de noche" ...roughly translated, "Rest during the day to sleep better at night"
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I am napping right now, and making this post by sleep-typing.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #20

I've been trying to nap in the early afternoon if I didn't sleep well the night before. Usually I just end up laying down with eyes closed for 15-30 minutes but don't actually fall asleep. If I nap it's definitely before 3pm. Otherwise I will have difficulty getting to sleep later at night.

There's nothing wrong with napping. Don't let your friend make you feel bad.