Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Uh, Yanks may not understand that "surgery" to Brits means the doc's office.
Ah, after 26 years I still haven't mastered the lingo.

Thanks for providing the subtitles or should I say Closed Captions?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Come on, Alan :-), my native tongue is not English, I have been living here fewer years than you have, and I would not have made that mistake (I make many other mistakes though and still have a strong Euro accent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Ah, after 26 years I still haven't mastered the lingo.

Thanks for providing the subtitles or should I say Closed Captions?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that you should expect a detailed personal and family history a review of your lifestyle habits a physical exam including pap an EKG and lab work. If it is possible to be fasting that will save you having to return for lab tests another day. You should be ordered mammo and colonoscopy maybe bone density

A note of caution you mention need for long term painkillers. Of course discuss your pain issues and how you have been trying to control it and that you need help dealing with it. Be careful though about requesting drugs. It is a sad fact that there are people who make the rounds of doctors under various guises seeking narcotics and many of us are very wary of new patients who are asking for drugs. I totally understand that you are not one of those people but I would bring it up gently and listen to your doctor's plans for pain management and work up and if necessary ask after that for medicine. This is a very tough issue because so many of us have been deceived too many times.
Congratulations on making the appointment and good luck!
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Come on, Alan :-), my native tongue is not English, I have been living here fewer years than you have, and I would not have made that mistake (I make many other mistakes though and still have a strong Euro accent).
You are also much younger and can no doubt go from one room to another and actually remember the reason you had gone into that room.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #25

If I were choosing a NEW doctor and had No baseline medical info to provide, I would be glad to run through the bloodwork ObGyn65 mentions before our appt. and then fill in the gaps with a verbal medical history.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Khan, I am so glad to hear that you are going for a checkup! Here are my suggestions, which are not from a viewpoint of expertise but are from somebody who sincerely cares about you and your health. Which, I do.

When you see the doctor, be sure he understands that you have not seen a doctor in 20 years. That way he will hopefully understand that he cannot just rush you through. In fact, you also might want to alert his office of this because they might want to schedule a possibly longer appointment for you.

Bring a written list of any questions or symptoms you may have had. Then go through your list with him.

If you are like me, you will freeze up and forget to ask something important unless you have it on paper in front of you. That is why I suggest you bring the list.

You have mentioned some serious hereditary conditions in your family history, that you may have. Ask if you can be checked for those conditions.

Congratulations for taking this big step!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #27

When you're scheduled for blood tests (lab work), you should certainly fast at least from midnight before your blood draw. Some tests will give inaccurate readings otherwise. Also, at your age you should also consider the pneumonia vaccine in addition to the shingles one.

I would say the most important thing to keep in mind is twofold:

A. Make a list of questions and take it with you to the appointment so you can remember to ask them all.

B. Bring a notepad so you can jot down the answers you get.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The article suggests the physical may include a female gynecological exam (breast check, Pap smear). I have never gotten those from a GP. Always have to make a separate appointment to see an OB-GYN.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
There you go Khan.

Annual Physical Exams: What to Expect

I disagree with the idea of starting with lab tests. The most important part of the investigation is the history. If there are issues you would like your doctor to focus on, make a list.

Best of luck!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #29

People are talking about lipid panels. That will just be an excuse for the doc to put you on a statin, which will probably make you hurt and enrich some big pharma. What you want is a carotid IMT test. There are no x rays, and you can learn if your last 20 years of lifestyle are catching up with you or not.
Intima-media thickness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Full disclosure, DW was a diagnostic sonographer.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The article suggests the physical may include a female gynecological exam (breast check, Pap smear). I have never gotten those from a GP. Always have to make a separate appointment to see an OB-GYN.

Amethyst
IMHO there is a very good reason for OBGYN specialty. Had a SIL who trusted her GP for GYN exams. He kept telling her for months she had ovarian cyst.

She died a year later from ovarian cancer.

Just a word to the wise.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #31

You are joking, right ? She has not seen a provider in 20 years and you want to replace a lipid panel testing for baseline with ordering carotid Imt / us at her first visit ? I need another beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
That will just be an excuse for the doc to put you on a statin, which will probably make you hurt and enrich some big pharma. What you want is a carotid IMT test. .
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #32

Kahn - you are getting some good advice from some of us here. Some other posts are not standard of care. Please feel free to PM me if you need any additional information. Take care.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You are joking, right ?
+1

That would be malpractice!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #34

Yes indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

+1

That would be malpractice!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I have switched docs over the years for many reasons, often result of several hundred mile moves across state lines.

None have ordered anything until after the first look see.
+1

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #36

Quote:
You are joking, right ? She has not seen a provider in 20 years and you want to replace a lipid panel testing for baseline with ordering carotid Imt / us at her first visit ? I need another beer.
Heh, no, not replace a $12 test,hehe. Just give some ammo if the test comes back in the realm of maybe I can put this person on a drug for the rest of her life.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

http://assets.harvardvanguard.org/ap...65dcc7eb6e.pdf
Framework for discussion.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #38

In addition to all the other advice, I would call your insurance company to see what they cover BEFORE the appointment and if there are any labs less expensive. Our physicals were 100% covered until this year. They charged us $35 to transport our specimens to the lab. Amazing to me. You may not have much choice about the tests but if you know the tests that are covered, the Doc maybe able to work with you, reducing your costs. At minimum, make sure the doc codes everything right? so you don't have long conversations with your insurance company.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Khan, I am so glad to hear that you are going for a checkup! Here are my suggestions, which are not from a viewpoint of expertise but are from somebody who sincerely cares about you and your health. Which, I do.

When you see the doctor, be sure he understands that you have not seen a doctor in 20 years. That way he will hopefully understand that he cannot just rush you through. In fact, you also might want to alert his office of this because they might want to schedule a possibly longer appointment for you.

Bring a written list of any questions or symptoms you may have had. Then go through your list with him.

If you are like me, you will freeze up and forget to ask something important unless you have it on paper in front of you. That is why I suggest you bring the list.

You have mentioned some serious hereditary conditions in your family history, that you may have. Ask if you can be checked for those conditions.

Congratulations for taking this big step!
Thanks, I am working on all of that.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
As a retired federal employee I have excellent insurance.