Join Early Retirement Today

Doctors are more likely to misdiagnose patients who are jerks
Old 03-19-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
Administrator

Curmudgeons beware. It pays to be polite when seeing your physician. From Vox Doctors are more likely to misdiagnose patients who are jerks - Vox
Quote:
That's the implication of two new studies published in the journal BMJ Quality & Safety. Separately, the authors demonstrated that clinicians are more likely to make errors of judgment when they're treating frustrating and difficult patients.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's probably true for any situation where you need expert advice.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My personal experience is they'll misdiagnose you no matter what. If you're a jerk I guess it just gets worse. How professional of them
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

I don't trust doctors, I told them to their faces, some killed my mom, misdiagnosed, perhaps. But my doctor is still nice to me, but I don't have any problem yet. So who knows. But I've told my kids not to expect miracles from them either. I'm saying this despite having nephews and nieces who are doctors.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Very true.
I didn't believe "being nice" to a someone in customer service would help much (we have all seen this guy who is extra nice to airline gate agent, hotel receptionist, etc). This was until I started volunteering to prepare tax returns. Now I see clients who are very nice and appreciate the service, and I try extra hard to ask them about spend or strategies that might help lower their taxes. And then there are jerks who feel entitled to get the free service, get angry about having to wait until they are helped and are clearly taking advantage of the system. For such people I end up doing the minimum required based on the info provided.

So I am no longer surprised that behavior and hence judgement of docs, lawyers or anyone who deals directly with customers will get impacted based on the behavior of the customer.
pixelville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelville View Post
Very true.
I didn't believe "being nice" to a someone in customer service would help much (we have all seen this guy who is extra nice to airline gate agent, hotel receptionist, etc).
Agreed. Many years ago I learned that lesson the difficult way. Nice guys get upgrades, jerks stay in coach.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I don't trust doctors, I told them to their faces, some killed my mom, misdiagnose get perhaps. But my doctor is still nice to me, but I don't have any problem yet. So who knows. But I've told my kids not to expect miracles from them either. I'm saying this despite having nephews and nieces who are doctors.

Cops, Doctors and especially Nurses since they are the ones who really know what's going on. Nice pays big dividends.

heh heh heh - also my best Pals/Palette's at the IRS.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

I have a highly professional relationship with my doctors, and I view them as paid consultants. As healthcare costs are such a wild card in retirement, my intention is to minimize such costs through careful attention to diet, exercise, and maintenance of what I refer to as optimal health. I track my physical health as closely as I track my financial health. As such, I partner with my healthcare providers and very much value their input. Consequently, I am in exceptional health, as confirmed by them, and I view this as an ideal vendor relationship.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm still looking for a doctor who isn't "practicing" anymore. At the rates they charge and the importance of the "service they perform", I want one who's "mastered" the science and isn't practicing it.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've been impressed with all the doctors at the practice we go to. Eleven years ago they saved my DWs life by recognizing signs of ovarian cancer and pushed to get her the right oncologist GYN in the network. She's still around and cancer free. They have also helped me with some lesser issues missed by physician assistants or nurse practitioners at clinics. Been going to the same practice for 15 years and no plans to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This is excellent news.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
This is excellent news.
LOL!
Old 03-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #13

Not surprising since doctors are human too and don't want to spend any more time with jerks than anyone else.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #14

Replace "doctor" with "auto mechanic" and see if it makes more sense.

Quote:
The framis has gone bad and is blocking the themotrocle, which is feeding ...
Quote:
Funny, I've never heard of a framis or a themotrocle ...
Quote:
I'm telling you that's the problem. I've seen this so many times before. Nobody else in town will do it. I'm up to here in work, but I could fit you in. It'll cost you, though.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, well maybe they are more likely to misdiagnose jerks, but also I think they are more likely to assume that there is nothing really wrong with nice, compliant, smiley patients who just rationally and pleasantly mention their symptoms without being sufficiently assertive about them.

I think that (for me) it helps to stomp one's foot and be a little insistent. In recent years when doctors are so swamped with patients, getting their attention is important and can help those of us with a gentler demeanor, IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

People in the business of customer service are less likely to want to provide a good outcome to people who are jerks to them. Also, water is wet; film at 11!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yes, very true. When a mechanic makes a mistake it'll cost you, but when a physician makes one it can kill you, or at least cost a whole lot more to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think that (for me) it helps to stomp one's foot and be a little insistent. In recent years when doctors are so swamped with patients, getting their attention is important and can help those of us with a gentler demeanor, IMO.
Try hard as I can, I just can't picture you being rude. Insistent, but not difficult. Big difference.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Doctors are trained to try to treat all patients with respect. However, when they show up with weapons and threaten to rape and stab you, threaten to sue you at the first encounter, demand 100% of your time despite the obvious fact that there are 20 other patients in the ICU, and call you a murderer for bringing up the topic of palliative care, you are likely to avoid them whenever possible, keep security within sight, and keep all conversations short and to the point. These are all true examples of jerks I encountered during my medical career. Is it any surprise that diagnoses are missed in the jerk population?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #19

And you can be nice as pie and they take advantage of you. I'm in the case that's it's up to a point.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
My personal experience is they'll misdiagnose you no matter what. If you're a jerk I guess it just gets worse. How professional of them
Doctors routinely misdiagnose you? Any insight as to why?