Join Early Retirement Today

Doctors Say Fat People Can Live As Long As Thin Ones
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doctors Say Fat People Can Live As Long As Thin Ones

Doctors say fat people can live as long as thin ones

This is an article that references a study that showed that given that people are practicing a number of health habits, overweight and even obesity has little or no longevity penalty.

The article clicks through to an abstract of the study, which in turn links to a full text PDF of the study.

To me it appears that being overweight or obese increases the penalty for lack of healthy habits, but having those habits erases the penalty for extra weight.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Administrator

As an overweight person who exercises religiously, and who eats her vegetables, this is an encouraging article to read! I hope he is right. I fear he is not, though, and so the battle to keep my weight down continues. Got to hedge my bets.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Heck yeah! I'm going out on a jog tonight and eating a bag of pork rinds while I'm doing it!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Heck yeah! I'm going out on a jog tonight and eating a bag of pork rinds while I'm doing it!
Pork rinds are vegetables? I never knew that!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Anything - ANYTHING - is a vegetable if you put enough analysis to it.

Pork rinds fried in vegetable oil: If the per centage of vegetable oil is greater than the protein value of a pork rind = Vegetable!

W2R, I count on your scientific background to find further examples of vegetables.

-- Rita
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Anything - ANYTHING - is a vegetable if you put enough analysis to it.

Pork rinds fried in vegetable oil: If the per centage of vegetable oil is greater than the protein value of a pork rind = Vegetable!

W2R, I count on your scientific background to find further examples of vegetables.

-- Rita
And here I thought that eating a carrot would be healthier than eating pork rinds. Obviously I have a lot to learn about nutrition!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm going to have a banana split when I get back from that jog. With 5 servings of bananas in it. Or 4 if I can count the chocolate syrup as a fruit/vegetable.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm going to have a banana split when I get back from that jog. With 5 servings of bananas in it. Or 4 if I can count the chocolate syrup as a fruit/vegetable.
You guys have me in stitches!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #9

Its absolutely true! I work out 3x/week and eat veggie burgers.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #10

This is much better than reading the linked article! Thanks, Ha!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #11

Quote:
And here I thought that eating a carrot would be healthier than eating pork rinds. Obviously I have a lot to learn about nutrition!
Well, how about if the donor of the pork rind eats carrots? That means you're eating carrots too, doesn't it? AFAIK rind donors only eat vegetables, so that means we're all safe.

Fuego, everyone knows chocolate is a fruit, because cacao grows in trees and once it's harvested it becomes chocolate. You're safe as long as it's dairy free. Chocolate syrup is like fruit juice...
Old 04-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Doctors say fat people can live as long as thin ones

This is an article that references a study that showed that given that people are practicing a number of health habits, overweight and even obesity has little or no longevity penalty.

The article clicks through to an abstract of the study, which in turn links to a full text PDF of the study.

To me it appears that being overweight or obese increases the penalty for lack of healthy habits, but given those habits erases the penalty for extra weight.

Ha
As Doctor King famously said: "Free at Last"!!!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

People, even some doctors, just don't understand this stuff. Being overweight and being unhealthy are not the same thing. Just because many people are overweight because they eat poorly, don't exercise, etc., doesn't mean all fat folks are unhealthy. Those unhealthy fat people drag our numbers down. I even remember reading somewhere that healthy overweight people actually live longer on overage than healthy thin people.

So, why am I on a diet right now?

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
So your wife won't kick you to the couch?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #15

Quote:
I even remember reading somewhere that healthy overweight people actually live longer on overage than healthy thin people.
My doc has confirmed that, at least for women, you can be too thin.

When I talked to her about losing some weight last year she told me that 'at my age' of 50 she would prefer me to stay at the upper end of normal BMI (so between 23 and 25).

Below that and we can start having issues with osteoporsis apparently.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #16

Quote:
People, even some doctors, just don't understand this stuff. Being overweight and being unhealthy are not the same thing. Just because many people are overweight because they eat poorly, don't exercise, etc., doesn't mean all fat folks are unhealthy.
True, but "unhealthy" and "overweight" are substantially correlated, even if not at 1.0.

Quote:
I even remember reading somewhere that healthy overweight people actually live longer on overage than healthy thin people.
Ummm. I'd like to see the actual science there. I do know that there are lots of little old ladies. Big old ladies? Not so much.

Quote:
To make yourself even more attractive to the opposite your choice of sex, of course.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
My doc has confirmed that, at least for women, you can be too thin.

When I talked to her about losing some weight last year she told me that 'at my age' of 50 she would prefer me to stay at the upper end of normal BMI (so between 23 and 25).

Below that and we can start having issues with osteoporsis apparently.
I am 59 and just weighed 114 (we weigh in on Wii Fit) and my BMI is 21.something. I have osteopenia and have started doing strength training. I have been told the same thing regarding weight. When you are heavier, it is better for your bones. I feel good at this weight, but I certainly don't want to get osteoporosis. Boy, that banana split is sounding mighty tempting right now!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluffy.jpg (30.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I am 59 and just weighed 114 (we weigh in on Wii Fit) and my BMI is 21.something. I have osteopenia and have started doing strength training. I have been told the same thing regarding weight. When you are heavier, it is better for your bones. I feel good at this weight, but I certainly don't want to get osteoporosis. Boy, that banana split is sounding mighty tempting right now!
DW is 56 and weighs 116 with a BMI of 21.75. She has osteopenia and started doing strength training 6 years ago when it was first diagnosed. Kept it in check until 2 years ago when bone density slipped a little so she kept up the strength training and added Actonel, once per month. Bone density scan 2 weeks ago and density has actually incresed.

Her mother was obese, and then REALLY obese for all the 36 years I knew her. Amazingly enough she never developed diabetes but she did have osteorporosis and broke her leg and ankle several times in late 60's and 70's. Putting on more weight does not always result in avoiding osteoporosis.

She lived until she was 78 and had 3 knee replacements to keep her with some mobility. COPD finally carried her off. (she never smoked)
Old 04-18-2012, 05:12 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Everything in moderation. Exercise, eat well and don't deprive yourself of chocolates and ice-cream. Fat does not equal unhealthy and thin does not mean unhealthy too. Also, so many people who seem to be of ideal range weight die young too. Weight and size are not the primary issues. It's a combination of many things like sound organs, good genes, healthy lifestyle....etc....etc....I think I need my chocolates now.