Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Does anyone actually like whole wheat pasta?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does anyone actually like whole wheat pasta?

I've given it a try for 2 years now. It is generally awful. I'd much rather spend an extra hour on the tread mill rather than eat it.

Give me standard pasta any day.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We were never able to "acquire a taste" for WW pasta either, so we just have smaller portions of quality 'standard' pasta. We usually have 1½ oz each of pasta for a serving. When we were young, we'd routinely eat 4 oz each - hard to believe it now.

But we do prefer brown rice over white since we're talking starches...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It's not bad if you just don't look at it. It is very filling. Guess the same could be said of Elmer's Glue, though. Maybe you could try eating white pasta, but just half as much? Then the extra time on the treadmill wouldn't be necessary.

Like Midpack, I eat brown rice, though. In fact I have some cooking in my rice cooker right now as I type.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I actually do like it. More to the point, I don't notice it while eating to be different from regular pasta. I actually eat some frozen dinners with whole grain pasta (I had one today for lunch adding an additional 2 servings of vegetables to it). It was great. I have also had it at some restaurants and it has been great. I will say that some of the whole wheat pastas I've eaten at home have been uneven in quality.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't mind it at all. I do think the white tastes better though. Been eating just brown rice for a while as well.....took a number of times to get used to it, but now I like it better.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
I've given it a try for 2 years now. It is generally awful. I'd much rather spend an extra hour on the tread mill rather than eat it.

Give me standard pasta any day.
Yes, but only certain brands.

We like the "Central Market" brand of whole wheat pasta, but you probably can't buy that outside of TX.

If they have any funny stuff other than whole grain wheat added to increase the fiber, it'll probably be awful.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't like the whole wheat pasta as much, but it is okay and that's what we buy and eat most of the time.
I can't let my palate dictate my diet or it would be bacon for every meal and months between broccoli sightings.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

Yea, I definitely prefer it. I like both Trader's Joe's whole wheat fusilli, and the only decent priced whole wheat product from my nearby grocery store, their Mac & Cheese w/ whole wheat pasta, problem with that though is it has yellow 5, so I'm stuck not eating Mac & Cheese very much.

I like brown rice too, but it tastes a bit plain, I like the brown jasmine rice better.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #9

I love pasta and "rice and gravy". I feel the same way you do about brown rice. Several have already said how they love brown rice but I could never acquire a taste for it.
I live fairly close to W2R and in this part of the world if I spend hours cooking Shrimp Etouffe or Crawfish Stew, I just can't see putting that on a bed of brown rice because it changes the taste of the dish too much. I finally had to give up on it and just exercise more.

On the other hand I do love Wheat bread over white bread so I'm not all bad.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I don't like the whole wheat pasta as much, but it is okay and that's what we buy and eat most of the time.
I can't let my palate dictate my diet or it would bacon for every meal and months between broccoli sightings.
For me Bacon is good, broccoli is bad. Reminds me of "Sleepers" where in the future, ice cream and fudge were healthy and veggies were "bad"
Old 11-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I like whole grain breads, but not the pasta. I dunno, it just doesn't seem to go with the sauces or cheeses we use on it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #12

I do like 100 percent whole wheat pasta. It is good cooked al dente and has a nice "nutty" taste to me. I also like brown and wild rice much more than white rice. Curiously, I am not a big fan of fresh pasta...too soft for my taste.
I will eat some white breads but really only a French baguette (with that good crust) or a sourdough. Otherwise it is some kind of health bread. Not that I am a "health nut". Far from it as I eat too much cheese (it has to be good cheese) and don't exercise as much as I should.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I like whole grain breads, but not the pasta. I dunno, it just doesn't seem to go with the sauces or cheeses we use on it.

-ERD50
Like a few others here, I actually tend to like the whole wheat pasta better most of the time; but, I am usually a red sauce with meat kind of guy rather than white creamy sauces. So, I wonder if that makes a difference.

Whole wheat bread and brown rice most of the time as well. But, I do also like white bread, white rice and normal pasta on occasions.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Administrator

We prefer WW pasta, but as mentioned above you need to be choosy what you buy.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's OK, but it doesn't really taste like wheat. We love the taste of wheat - wheat germ, wheat crackers, whole wheat bread.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If they have any funny stuff other than whole grain wheat added to increase the fiber, it'll probably be awful.
So many of the "high fiber" products are boosted with cellulose. I guess it's high fiber because we aren't really designed to digest it.

The stuff reminds me of the "bread" made largely from sawdust that the Russians made and ate during the seige of Leningrad. I guess they were just ahead of their time.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #17

My wife likes it. I don't. But I guess you can get used to just about anything.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

FWIW, my wife's aunt and uncle have switched to buckwheat pasta as part of a gluten free diet and they claim that it's very good.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #19

I'm not aware of any known health benefits of eating whole wheat pasta over white pasta, so I would just eat whatever you think taste the best.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #20

I mix WW pasta 50/50 with "Dreamfields" pasta. Works for me.