Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Does anyone use the VA for medical care?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidslovedogs
You guys are crackin' me up! Could VA service be a glimpse into the future? (I couldn't resist). I swear I won't make any more comments on this thread!
I hope so - as bad as it might be for those that have a "full fledged" medical insurance - I think it represents what our National Healthcare Solution should be represent. I view the VA as care as a last resort and reasonably good care for preventive purposes - wouldn't that be a good baseline for universal coverage?? IMHO, most people do not use their health insurance until their +50 years for the most part and then for the 50's diseases - heart attack (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc) and the maturity issues (menopause, arthritis, etc) - In our present system, we seem to have an industry that wants to insure the healthy - reaps the financial benefits, and pay as little as possible - such is "bidness".

Sorry for the rant but I think decent healthcare should be a right not a privilege in this country and to do less is "UN-American"

Peace
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For many the services, such as they are, delivered by the VA would be a God-send.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
HIPAA doesn't say that. You should be able to just go in and pick them up. One problem with HIPAA is that providers don't always understand what it requires, sometimes to the point of being rediculous.
You're absolutely right. A better way to describe the situation would be "Tripler's lawyers have decided that HIPAA requires this".

I don't have the time, energy, or ammunition to fix the problem. And, hey, in another 3-9 years it won't be our problem anymore! Spouse and I already have humongous HIPAA powers of attorney in our medical records, not that the hospital's administrative staff has necessarily responded to our initiative. Unfortunately the emergency is usually the only way to determine if their system really works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk514
Spent my 6 yrs (Regular Navy) 1963-1967 active, honorable discharge, and tried to get some type of reasonablly priced health insurance from the
I'd like to point out that while this timespan appears to only cover five years instead of the stipulated six, it's all relative. According to his frame of reference (and to government personnel accounting standards), six years were consumed by this service obligation.

Had RJK been in the Air Force it undoubtedly would have only seemed like four years...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
For many the services, such as they are, delivered by the VA would be a God-send.
If they actually got the treatment correct.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

I work in the VA, so read my comments with that in mind. The VA has been a leader in providing computerized patient records, bar code verification for medication administration, and computerized order entry (including outpatient prescriptions). Not perfect, by any means, and certainly underfunded, but we provide good care, especially in areas like diabetes, high cholesterol and hypertension, where early intervention and prevention are important.

The VA is now a recognized leader in the health care field. Most private hospitals are years behind us in use of technology to improve patient care.

Here is a link to just one of many articles citing the VA as doing a good job:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/fea...1.longman.html
ellenjoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad, age 85, who lives in AZ likes going to the VA medical center. He never has a complaint. He is a real skinflint, but I doubt he'd put up with substandard care.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Had RJK been in the Air Force it undoubtedly would have only seemed like four years...
Yup. Time really flew...

Sounds like it still might be an interesting place: AF Sergeant in trouble for Playboy spread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Well, she was concerned about disgracing the uniform so she took it off. Is there a UCMJ problem here? Just how closely are the officials examining whatever issue they're examining?

We seem to have these every few years, but they're going to do the Ivy Leagues or the PAC 10 then I wonder why I'm still waiting for "Cadets & Midshipmen of the Service Academies"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote