Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Does Sunscreen Protect Against Skin Cancer?
Old 10-02-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Does Sunscreen Protect Against Skin Cancer?

My dermatologist does not wear sunscreen. When his attending nurse asked me if I did, I said occasionally but not really. He did not seem to mind and did not press the issue. So I did some searching and found this article. Surprisingly, there is very little evidence it protects against skin cancer.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29620003

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #2

I think some are better than others, but a majority of drug store ones are not that great, if they don't cover UVA/UVB. My dermatologist at the cleveland clinic definitely recommends it, and certain brands over others. Whether she's getting kick backs I have no idea, but good enough for me.

The user is a big factor too - how well you apply, how many gaps you leave (hairline, ears, etc.) How often you reapply. So, lets say sunscreen done perfectly has a small impact - sunscreen done imperfectly would be even less.

I do also believe that sunburns - repeated harsh damage over time - can contribute to higher risk of skin cancer, so by avoiding burns the risk is reduced.

And even if all that is wrong, and it has truly zero impact? Burning reduces my skin to leather, and I'd avoid that look for as long as possible!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 AM   #3

I thought (do think) that it helps but the main reason I wear sunscreen is because a sunburn hurts and I don’t want it. If I’m on vacation, I’m certain to wear it. At home, mostly just on golf days. Working in the yard, mostly I just wear long sleeves. Given the lack of hair, most always wear a hat.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I ...
The user is a big factor too - how well you apply, how many gaps you leave (hairline, ears, etc.) How often you reapply. So, lets say sunscreen done perfectly has a small impact - sunscreen done imperfectly would be even less. ...
Because of all that, I've gone to wearing one of those big floppy 'garden hats' when I'm out in the yard in the sun. t might look kinda goofy, but I don't care.

With the hat, I know my ears/neck are shaded, I don't have to worry about the sunscreen getting applied properly, or getting wiped off. And I don't need to clean anything off later.

Without the hat, I have had ears/neck get sunburn, so I think this is good protection.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My DF was a long time golfer and fisherman who live in SW Fl. He hated hats and sunscreen, never wore either.

Man had more melanoma than anyone I've ever known . Mostly just on the skin, although one went deeper and was pretty serious. The old man didn't have the tops of his ears left when he died of old age at 96.

We don't do much for sunscreen, mainly in the winter time, going to the Springs. I've had a couple of winter burns and they're no fun. I won't go outside without a wide brimmed hat.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM   #6

I wear them religiously when I was younger because I was a beach bum. Only recently, I didn’t but was exposed for a few hours and I noticed I’ve got wrinkles where I didn’t wear them. So I do wear them on my face when I swim. A lot of people in my bridge club have awful skin, maybe they don’t wear them often. I know they are older but I don’t remember my in laws were that bad at that age. My husband and I still have good skin because we wear sunscreen.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Melanoma? Do you mean basal carcinoma? Melanoma will kill you. The others are the ones that will eat parts of your face, but you'll survive.

Then there are the harmless, but unattractive, black-and-brown "stickers" that come with age and sun exposure. I think those are called seborrheic keratosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My DF was a long time golfer and fisherman who live in SW Fl. He hated hats and sunscreen, never wore either.

Man had more melanoma than anyone I've ever known . Mostly just on the skin, although one went deeper and was pretty serious. The old man didn't have the tops of his ears left when he died of old age at 96.

We don't do much for sunscreen, mainly in the winter time, going to the Springs. I've had a couple of winter burns and they're no fun. I won't go outside without a wide brimmed hat.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #8

We did a horrible disservice to our kids when they were little, and I feel bad about it.

What did we do? Put plenty of sunscreen on them and reapplied often.

Back then, the formulas protected for UVA. So the kids never got red. But they got slammed with UVB, which causes skin degradation and skin cancer.

With "broad spectrum" formulations, the story is different, although there is a non-zero risk from the blocking chemicals themselves.

As for me, it's a big hat and jump into the shade whenever possible.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Melanoma? Do you mean basal carcinoma? Melanoma will kill you. The others are the ones that will eat parts of your face, but you'll survive.

Then there are the harmless, but unattractive, black-and-brown "stickers" that come with age and sun exposure. I think those are called seborrheic keratosis.
He said melanoma. I know it's sometimes fatal. My MIL died from it. She had a cancer on her leg, 5 years later it was in her brain.

MIL's treatment for her leg was much like DF'S one bad one on his arm, cut to the bone, no chemo or radiation.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #10

I don’t wear sunscreen on my leg when I swim, I must do that now. I only swim less about 30 minutes early in the morning though.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

I can't answer for MRG, but I want to pass along the word that Melanoma does not mean death if caught early.

I have two friends of north European descent who have survived Melanoma. Actually, one friend has had 5 lesions removed, most stage 0 and one (his first) stage 1A.

He was very smart to see a doctor for his first. Saved his life. After that, he has a complete check every 3 months where the stage 0s are removed.

In both cases, the margins are incredibly wide (pretty big cuts). They are life saving.

In no way am I saying melanoma is not dangerous. It is. My point being that 30 years ago, we seemed to wait too long and people who had the big M had a death sentence (late stages). Since then, a big wake up has occurred and if caught in the very earliest stages, it is treatable. People who have had successful detection may see many more since they are getting good treatment and detection.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My dermatologist said that most of the cancers that we see were caused by damage we received as children. I had some terrible sunburns back then and have had two basal cell removals. Decades of tennis and now golf don't help, but I always wear a hat and try to remember to wear sunscreen. I also use an umbrella attached to the push cart. If nothing else it does help the skin to not look so aged.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:27 AM   #13

The sunscreen or not decision was made by my immune system. I am allergic to most sunscreen chemicals.
The mineral (metal) based compounds work OK but are usually thick and sticky so I use them sparingly during high exposure outings like high altitude hiking/biking or skiing.
I mainly rely on long sleeves, hat and melanin by getting regular low intensity sun exposure.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:50 AM   #14

I wear sunscreen during the summer . If I didn't I would be a roasted marshmallow. It seems to keep me from getting sunburned and that is what I bought it for. What the other benefits are if any, I don't know. On the container it says broad spectrum, SPF 50.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:01 AM   #15

Pretty hard evidence to generate given the time between insult and the amount of sun needed to make a difference (and variability in types and usage patterns). I think the one RCT done in Australia for skin cancers other than melanoma showed no difference.

As pointed out, melanoma (the only skin cancer included in general cancer statistics) is very curable if caught and treated early.

I use sunscreen and my trusty Tilley hat!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I use sunscreen and my trusty Tilley hat!
+1
By dermatologist said to wear a hat and use sunscreen. So I always use a light face sunscreen. Additionally, suncreens are a poor person's wrinkle cream.https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sunscre...-for-wrinkles/

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Every dermatologist I have ever gone to recommended sunscreen. Also to wear a wide brim hat. I do wear hats when playing golf but not always the wide brim kind. I have had a couple of basal cells and one squamous cell cut off. I see a dermatologist twice a year.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #18

My dermatologist:
Quote:
You should always wear sunscreen, long sleeves, and a hat. And stay out of the sun, especially at midday.
My primary physician:
Quote:
You should make sure to get plenty of sunshine to keep your Vitamin D level up. Midday is the most effective time.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #19

I wear an SPF 50 barrier sunscreen on my face, ears, neck and upper chest daily on the advice of my dermatologist. She also says I should wear SPF 30 on my body which I do if I go to the beach, but not usually for other outdoor activities. I have olive skin so no problems so far other than freckles, age spots and wrinkles. Hope I don’t look too leathery when I’m 80 but I love the outdoors and the sun.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I can't answer for MRG, but I want to pass along the word that Melanoma does not mean death if caught early.

I have two friends of north European descent who have survived Melanoma. Actually, one friend has had 5 lesions removed, most stage 0 and one (his first) stage 1A.

He was very smart to see a doctor for his first. Saved his life. After that, he has a complete check every 3 months where the stage 0s are removed.

In both cases, the margins are incredibly wide (pretty big cuts). They are life saving.

In no way am I saying melanoma is not dangerous. It is. My point being that 30 years ago, we seemed to wait too long and people who had the big M had a death sentence (late stages). Since then, a big wake up has occurred and if caught in the very earliest stages, it is treatable. People who have had successful detection may see many more since they are getting good treatment and detection.
+1
I have had Melanoma - Stage 0. 4 inch scar on the back (you should see the other guy).
Checkups every 6 months and can usually predict which spots are taken off.
Still go out in the sun often with skin spray applied.