Join Early Retirement Today

Don't get sick on New Year's Eve
Old 01-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't get sick on New Year's Eve

We just visited with my wife's cousin, and she was telling us that she was admitted to a hospital on New Year's Eve, and because her stay spanned 2015/2016, she had to pay two annual deductibles ($2000 for each year) at once.

I never gave it much thought, but it makes sense that this could occur. It could present a hardship for some people.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, never considered that possibility. What a blow to people who get seriously ill during the Christmas season.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, never thought about that. Awful, but I am sure that's how most if not all health insurance would work...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the warning. DH and I had something a little les drastic happen after I joined my last employer in September, 2013. In October he needed an endoscopy. The new employer's plan and a $1,250 pp/$2,500 family deductible. I learned the hard way that the $2,500 deductible applied even if the other person had zero covered expenses. They wanted to do a "follow-up" and I thought it would be a doctor's office visit. They scheduled it in January. Oops. It was another endoscopy. There went $5,000 over a just a few months.

There used to be plans that counted expenses from the last 3 months of the prior year against the current year deductible (as well as the previous year's deductible). I'm sure the premium was a little higher to reflect that, but I wish we could get those policy provisions now.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
.... I learned the hard way that the $2,500 deductible applied even if the other person had zero covered expenses. ....
That is why DW and I have separate policies, although I believe there were some changes effective January 1 that changed deductibles to stacked vs aggregate for policies covering more than one person so the situation you describe would not occur anymore.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

That's what I would expect. At one time self insured Megacorp had a rule that if met your deductible in the last quarter it carried over, helped me out one year. That may have been in the last century.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
We just visited with my wife's cousin, and she was telling us that she was admitted to a hospital on New Year's Eve, and because her stay spanned 2015/2016, she had to pay two annual deductibles ($2000 for each year) at once...
My policy had a deductible of $10K/year. I paid that 3 years in a row, in 2012 for my son and 2013-2014 for myself. I was grateful that we stayed alive. Our separate illnesses could have taken our lives.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

But the same thing works for a person's benefit.
Have a root canal and cap put on , do first part in Dec and second part (cap) in Jan and the dental insurance pays the max $1,000 each year.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My policy had a deductible of $10K/year. I paid that 3 years in a row, in 2012 for my son and 2013-2014 for myself. I was grateful that we stayed alive. Our separate illnesses could have taken our lives.
Glad that both of you are doing better. Money should certainly be a secondary concern during dire health events. My wife's cousin is fortunate that the deductibles were not a significant financial burden.

We also have high deductible plans ($3000 each) and I had never given this situation any thought. I only mention it here so that others might be aware and better prepared for such an event.

Regards,
Wino
Old 01-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
But the same thing works for a person's benefit.
Have a root canal and cap put on , do first part in Dec and second part (cap) in Jan and the dental insurance pays the max $1,000 each year.
True, but it would likely be a shock to many (most?) people when presented with this cost for a single medical event. Sure, your deductible is now covered for the remainder of the new year, but it still feels like a double hit.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
That's what I would expect. At one time self insured Megacorp had a rule that if met your deductible in the last quarter it carried over, helped me out one year. That may have been in the last century.

I believe those days are long gone. I remember them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-12-2016, 12:02 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Glad that both of you are doing better. Money should certainly be a secondary concern during dire health events. My wife's cousin is fortunate that the deductibles were not a significant financial burden.

We also have high deductible plans ($3000 each) and I had never given this situation any thought. I only mention it here so that others might be aware and better prepared for such an event.

Regards,
Wino
Thank you.

My son's unusual infection got him a 9-day hospital stay, with a month-long at-home treatment. The total hospital bill for him was about $33K, if memory serves. For me, it was more than $130K due to major surgeries and extensive treatments.

So, considering the total cost, my $30K total deductible for the ordeals was not bad at all. By the way, I signed up for the high-deductible plan because we were healthy and used no healthcare other than the annual exams, and I often skipped even that. The money I saved on the premium was put into an HSA account, and I had built it up to more than $40K when I needed to spend it.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Regards,
Wino
+1.

A good friend was diagnosed with stage 4 glioblastoma. He's been in remission for three years. He's told me a fair amount about his experience, never once complaining about cost!