Don't smoke pot until adulthood!

NW-Bound

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was a bit reluctant to post this, because for the retirees already in geezerdom or even aspiring early retirees, it is too late already. :)

I ran across this article that measured effects of marijuana on smokers under the age of 18. Early smokers lost 8 points on IQ later in life, as measured a couple of decades later in adulthood, compared to their own earlier IQ tests before they smoked.

The article said,
Tests for intelligence quotient, or IQ, measure a person’s capacity to learn, apply knowledge, and use abstract reasoning. The average score is 100.
Although a drop of eight points may not seem like much, going from a score of 100 to 92 drops someone from being in the 50th percentile in intelligence to the 29th.​
For people who smoked pot later in life, they measure no decrease in IQ. People who never smoked pick up a slight IQ increase.

Details are here.

Last edited:
Heh heh heh... Same here.

However, my elation may not last, if someone publishes a similar article regarding nicotine in cigarette smoke.

I never did that either, I'm just a bore I guess. Just could never figure out why someone would set something on fire and suck it into their lungs.

Seems like it does not hurt IQ, if you start as an adult.

Of course it may hurt something else that the study did not address. Or it could help, like many have claimed. I dunno. They need to do more studies, I guess. Need more smokers for these studies too. Probably would not have problems getting volunteers.

The NYT reported on this, but their take was a bit different, so I looked for the source to see why. Surprisingly, the write-up linked in the OP presents the conclusions with a perspective the study authors did not intend. The abstract can be seen here Recent Press Highlights I would say this is the key paragraph
The researchers found that study members who reported persistent cannabis use showed a greater decline in IQ compared with other participants. Persistent cannabis use was associated with broad impairment across five domains of neuropsychological functioning, and remained significant even after controlling for years of education and use of other drugs including alcohol. Persistent cannabis use appeared to affect everyday cognitive functioning, with persistent users exhibiting significantly more attention and memory problems than other participants, according to sources who the study members claimed "knew them well." Adolescent-onset cannabis users tended to become more persistent users and experienced a greater IQ decline compared with adult-onset users, after equating for levels of persistence
The decline in neurological function is the result of continued heavy use over decades. People are more likely to be persistent users when they begin at a younger age, but the driver here is not age, it is the long term chronic use.

The opening line from the originally linked article is this
Teens may lose IQ points later in life if they smoke marijuana before age 18, according to a study that follows a survey showing use of the drug has increased in this age group for four straight years.
and this is not a conclusion of the study. This makes for good headlines but poor journalism.

Last edited:
But if you wait until you're an adult, will you be smart enough to avoid eating an entire bag of Doritos in one sitting, or to avoid getting into a car for a 1 AM Taco Bell run?

But if you wait until you're an adult, will you be smart enough to avoid eating an entire bag of Doritos in one sitting, or to avoid getting into a car for a 1 AM Taco Bell run?

Or find your way to Baskin & Robbins and try to order a Spumoni ice cone while trying to act serious:LOL:

Hopefully, future studies will show that quickly moving on to "714's" and "4 way orange barrel's" will have negated any loss of IQ. I think it is like cheating on your girlfriend in that respect, If you do a three way the two girls cancel each other out.

OK…. I'll 'fess up. I started using cannabis a few years before age 18. If it made me a few IQ points lighter ….

--- I continued to be an excellent student through high school.

--- I earned my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from a prominent California University while working full time and starting a family.

--- Somehow, I had enough IQ points to advance into a higher paying management job and stash away enough $$$ to ER at the age of 44.

--- I studied personal finance so that I do my own investing and prepare my own taxes.

By the tone of my response you may be able to determine that I don't necessarily believe the hype of this article. And speaking of hype….. I wonder if it's any coincidence that this article is released just before the elections. In several western states, full legalization will appear on November's ballot. Could this be another piece of government propaganda to negatively influence the voters? I wonder. Or... maybe It's the cannabis making me just a little paranoid - lol. I don't think early cannabis use reduced my IQ level at all…. or maybe I'm just too stupid to realize it.

--- Somehow, I had enough IQ points to advance into a higher paying management job and stash away enough $$$ to ER at the age of 44.

But could you have ERd sooner without it?

This calls for a taxpayer funded multi-decade study on the correlation between smoking pot as a teenager and retirement age. I'm sure there will be no shortage of volunteers willing to participate.

I never did that either, I'm just a bore I guess. Just could never figure out why someone would set something on fire and suck it into their lungs.
... when brownies taste so much better.

The decline in neurological function is the result of continued heavy use over decades. People are more likely to be persistent users when they begin at a younger age, but the driver here is not age, it is the long term chronic use.
IIRC, the noted research team of Drs. Cheech & Chong assembled several LP record albums full of similar findings...

IIRC, the noted research team of Drs. Cheech & Chong assembled several LP record albums full of similar findings...

Along with a few movies. And then there's Jay, of Jay and Silent Bob fame. Like Chong, Jay was both a silver screen and real life example of the "chronic use" effect.

I still remember the "info" that was shown on the military TV channel when I was having my "SEA vacation", back in '68-69.

It would show a squad of grunts out in the field having a "wacky weed break" and suddely put upon by Cong/NVA Regs (where their platoon was not "treated gently" :cool: ).

Sorry, but being a Nam vet (and an old phart, who did not participate in what most folks think of the 60's), I swore off the substance.

Different folks - different strokes (and different times)...

Last edited:
I still remember the "info" that was shown on the military TV channel when I was having my "SEA vacation", back in '68-69.

It would show a squad of grunts out in the field having a "wacky weed break" and suddely put upon by Cong/NVA Regs (where their platoon was not "treated gently" :cool: ).

Sorry, but being a Nam vet (and an old phart, who did not participate in what most folks think of the 60's), I swore off the substance.

Different folks - different strokes (and different times)...

Not sure I'd want to be stoned if there was a chance I would be ambushed...

Not sure I'd want to be stoned if there was a chance I would be ambushed...
You understand the "message" - exactly :angel: ...

OTOH, I'm still alive (regardless if I get a disability check from the VA every month).

I guess TV free "Ad Spots" do work :D ...

Ah, to live in San Francisco where bongs and glass pipes get sold on Market Street and marijuana dispensaries get reviewed and rated on Yelp like any other business...

Green Door - SOMA - San Francisco, CA

Toto, we're not in Alabama anymore.;)

Last edited:
Ah, to live in San Francisco where bongs and glass pipes get sold on Market Street and marijuana dispensaries get reviewed on Yelp like any other business...

Green Door - SOMA - San Francisco, CA

I read some reviews. Amazing. A real glimpse into what life would be like if marijuana were legal. These people are serious about this.
This is my favorite dispensary in SF so far. The actual dispensary area is pretty basic and at first glance, seems kind of bland and unfriendly because of the bulletproof glass separating the budtenders from the customers. But, don't let looks deceive you, this place is the best source for flowers and concentrates.

First off the service is so helpful, friendly, and patient. I've been to this spot three times now and every time the people who have helped me out have been knowledgeable about the medicine and really patient about showing me things and answering questions. There is a separate hash bar in the back for concentrates and the budtender back there has been really helpful as well.

Second, the selection here is unparalleled - they have the 2nd place Cannabis Cup winner Candy Jack, which I think is deserving of the award. I'm also a big fan of their purps, having tried both the Presidential and the Cadillac (my fave). I also love the Pink Cream Soda and the Platinum Cookies.Their concentrate selection is excellent as well, I recommend the OG hash crystals, the cookies kief, the OG earwax, and the gold dust.

Finally, I love their lounge!! It's a big, open, airy loft. They keep a few windows open so I don't feel stifled in smoke. There are all kinds of smoking accessories to use, multiple TV screens, a pool table, free wi-fi, a nice selection of cannabis books & magazines, and plenty of places to sit, whether you want to relax on a sofa or sit at one of their large communal pub tables. Even on a busy day I never feel stifled here.
How long before they start using wine and food network terms?

Edit: I just was there's even a new profession. Budtender.
I agree with brewer. This is silly.

Last edited:
Ah, to live in San Francisco where bongs and glass pipes get sold on Market Street and marijuana dispensaries get reviewed on Yelp like any other business...

Same deal here in the land of "Rocky Mountain High." But the charade of this being "medication" is silly and embarassing. Just legalize the damn stuff already and get on with life. Anyone who wants it can already get it and using police resources to chase them is a waste. Plus it would shut off a big flow of cash to Mexican cartels and other undesirables.

brewer12345 said:
Plus it would shut off a big flow of cash to Mexican cartels and other undesirables.

Guess why it's still illegal? Did someone say "cash"? The war on drugs isn't much more than a price support mechanism. Every local pot farm and cannabis club raided is just a crop subsidy for our associates to the south.

Just for fun, take a look at just who lobbies to protect us from reefer madness:

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/marijuana-lobby-illegal/

Guess why it's still illegal? Did someone say "cash"? The war on drugs isn't much more than a price support mechanism. Every local pot farm and cannabis club raided is just a crop subsidy for our associates to the south.

Just for fun, take a look at just who lobbies to protect us from reefer madness:

http://www.republicreport.org/2012/marijuana-lobby-illegal/

Yes, I know. Also incents stupid crap like ripping up National Parks, State Parks, National Forest etc. to raise pot plants in isolated areas they hope won't be found.

As with everything else in this corrupt mess of a country, follow the money...

Back
Top Bottom