Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I don't know how you discovered that but I am always impressed with n=1 studies. If you aren't aware of Seth Roberts, you should visit his website. His followers (and, of course, himself) are always coming up with the most off-the-wall cures for common ailments.
It was pretty simple actually. I was suddenly faced with a situation where the windpipe between the top of my lungs and the bottom of my throat was swollen and constricted and my breathing was increasing labored. Some nights my breathing was so bad I thought about going to the emergency room.

I visited an asthma doctor who concluded all of her asthma medications would not improve my situation. I went to see an allergist who made some suggestions and ran a skin allergy panel. It showed the usual ariborne allergens and a slight allergy to corn. I was eating popcorn and corn chips and corn of the cob. This was in addtion to a variety of foods that are made with corn.

Sometimes the N=1 study is all you have. So, I eliminated corn from my diet and my breathing became better. Correlation? Placebo effect? I don't care. I now manage corn in my diet and make sure I only have fresh corn a maximum of once a week. My breathing is fine.

During the next 5+ years, I have found a number of contibuting factors to my breathing problems and my acid refluc problems (they are related). I have since identified Green Tea, spinach and (suprisingly) a lack of Orange Jucie that are problematic.

Healthcare is in general progressing away from the blockbuster drugs that are suitable for hundreds of millions of individuals. With the advancing of DNA technology, N+1 healthcare will become the standard of treatment.

The bottom line here is that the individual is responsible for one's healthcare. The doctors and the medical profession can only try to help.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I know this gives one a warm fuzzy felling but... there is no evidence to support such claims beyond anecdotal. (And yes, it is promoted very heavily by those with a health club membership, exercise quipment, a book,, etc. to sell.) If you are losing Belly (visceral) fat -- the fat surrounding your internal organs -- it is most likely from some other reason.

See for example:
Well then, I am truely special.

It works, for me, exactly as I described. In fact, I have been doing this for the past month and have dropped 1 inch in my belly girth in the past month. I plan on dropping 2 more before Jan 1 (start of ski season).

I did this last fall as well. I did combine this program with a diet modification where I generally avoid eating wheat. But this aspect of my diet is now constant.

Via cause and effect and trial and error, I have learned that HIIT is the most efficient way for me to lose belly fat. Naturally, this is combined with a good diet (which I maintain all year long) and disipline with portion control... something I, at times, struggle with.