Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
After following the link, my first impression was SPAM. However, it didn't tell me to buy this or that 'here'. Not sure what is being recommended.

I'm assuming, of course, that if I ask my MD for HGH, I'll get laughed at (as I think I should).

So, you want it, how do you get it?
The article mentions 4 amino acids. I looked at my various protien supplements and realized I am getting 3 of them already. So, I am supplementing with the missing Amino Acid... ornithine.
UtahSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Sorry, I didn't want to copy the entire article.
True, nobody's asking you to violate copyright.

This is a large and busy board with a few hundred posts a day. Your naked link, without context or interpretation, is competing for attention alongside all the other posts from people who have taken a few more minutes to share their interpretations or experiences or advice.

You're being asked to:
- post the link,
- excerpt a few sentences from the article as quotes to make your point, and then
- amplify the material with your personal opinion.

Otherwise you're just a headline aggregator, and that NewGuy888 gets old real fast.

Quote:
Given the number of complaints, I will refrain from such efforts.
Hey, you're either going to post here as a valuable contributor or you're going to find someplace else where they love naked links. Ideally this board welcomes all members, especially newer ones who are more likely to click on the ads, but if your feelings are being hurt then... this is a large and busy board with hundreds of posts a day.

Quote:
DR Oz and HGH
Presumably Dr. Oz has some of the best advice available to mankind, and the personal discipline to follow it.

Yet between last season and this season he's looking suspiciously more aged & gray, and his ears appear to have lost their pixie-ish points that made him seem about 18 years old. I wonder how HGH and amino acids are working for him.

What impressed me the other day was seeing Rosie O'Donnell on his show resembling her 1980s Roseanne VH-1 VJ self. I thought she "looked like" Rosie but I didn't realize that she was Rosie. I guess a heart attack can inspire the motivation to change a lifestyle diet.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I am curious why you know you blood levels of vitamin D. Do you know other blood levels for other assorted vitamins and substances? How do you pick which ones to test and how often do you need to measure them?
I have been following reports of Vitamin D as a cancer fighting agent for the past 20 years. Since I live in Arizona and get plenty of sun, I assumed my vitamin D levels were fine.

I had a blood test done for my physical earlier this year and wanted to know, with certainty, what my blood levels were (as well as the testosterone). So I had them both checked.

Once I had the results, I started working with a naturopath for the testosterone treatments. She suggested that I take 5000 IU vitamin D daily. This was compatible with recommendations I have been reading from other health blogs. Intake is not important. Maintaining a blood level between 60 and 80 ng/ml is the goal.

I am not monitoring any other vitamins at the moment. I am necessarily monitoring Testosterone, Estradiol, DHEA, Vitamin D and normal body things like PSA and TSH.

Studies indicate that for proper health, serum vitamin D levels should be a minimum of 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L), with optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L). These values apply to both children and adults.

Vitamin D Council > About vitamin D > Vitamin D deficiency > Am I vitamin D deficient?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My bad. Cholosterol is the precursor to Vitamin D.

Since sunlight is required to turn cholesterol into vitamin D, avoiding the sun will likewise undermine our ability to synthesize vitamin D.

Vitamin D is Synthesized From Cholesterol and Found in Cholesterol-Rich Foods

The point is Vitamin D is made from the sun. Once it is made, it does not require further activation.
Actually, that is not quite true. Vitamin D, cholecalciferol, is converted in the liver to calcidol,which is what is usually measured in blood tests. Some of this calcidol is converted, mainly in the kidney, to calcitrol which is the active hormone.

Ha
Old 10-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Posting a naked link like that is frowned upon here.
Yes, I've been chastised for posting naked links, particularly of Vida Guerra...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Anyone who even listens to Dr. Oz should be given some leeway... at least, until they wakeup.
[RANT]The whole Oprah/Dr Phil/Dr Oz thing chaps my assets. Celebrities with the bully pulpit if there ever were ones, with the opportunity to educate and enlighten millions with actual knowledge. Instead, they pump their viewers full of new age fluff... [/RANT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you tried Geritol?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fukitol.jpg (15.0 KB, 93 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
[RANT]The whole Oprah/Dr Phil/Dr Oz thing chaps my assets. Celebrities with the bully pulpit if there ever were ones, with the opportunity to educate and enlighten millions with actual knowledge. Instead, they pump their viewers full of new age fluff... [/RANT]
Gee - I thought it was only me that felt that way about Oz (don't look behind the curtain!)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I don't know enough about Dr. Oz to comment on him and cannot comment on his books, show or advice. The article did not seem to be selling a bunch of his products which is to his credit.

But I have watched various celebrity doctors (PhD's MD'S, etc.) and what happens often (not always) seems to be this: Dr. Soandso writes a book that is actually quite good and useful. It becomes a best seller. Dr. Soandso writes another book amplifying on the first book. Also, a best seller. Dr. Soandso appears on afternoon TV shows where the host (who knows little about science, medicine, economics, etc.) swoons over him and hundred of women in the audience go nuts over him. Dr. Soandso gets his own show. It starts OK, but in the competition to hype ratings and earn even more money, the show's topics become more outrageous and silly. Dr. Soandso starts writing books and hawking various nostrums for problems that are out of his expertise and professional experience - such as things that cure baldness, supercharge your sex life, dissovle cellulite, and raise Elvis from the dead. At this point it's all about $$'s.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Having read the article the OP mentioned, I would like to see what other well credentialed professionals in the area of things like human growth hormone think. The market for supplements is a huge one, and that makes me suspicious. Just because a deficiency of a vitamin, mineral or other substance is bad, doesn't mean that getting many times the required amount is good. If these supplements do increase HGH and that does slow down premature aging, I am happy to buy a bottle, but, I want more than just one person's opinion

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
But I have watched various celebrity doctors (PhD's MD'S, etc.) and what happens often (not always) seems to be this: ...
You described the situation quite accurately.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

To seriously look at increasing HGH release (instead of getting it through injections), there are some ways to do that naturally. "Sprint 8" is an exercise protocol (with some other lifestyle changes + nutritional guidelines around the time of the exercise) which needs to be done only 2 or 3 x per week.

You can read about it in a book by Phil Campbell, "Ready, Set, Go," (which is about other things than just Sprint 8--it's a total approach to exercise) but can easily find info on it on the web: Peak Fitness Exercise Benefits | Phil Campbell Interview

Mercola has another post online which speaks to his results and benefits: Peak 8 Exercises Increase Your "Fitness Hormone" Levels

The big thing about this protocol is much higher growth hormone release. As Mercola states, the benefits of growth hormone release (which naturally drop off as we age) are several, but all are anti-aging:

Decrease in body fat
Improved muscle tone
Firmer skin and reduces wrinkles
Increase in energy and sexual desire
Improved athletic speed and performance
Ability to achieve your fitness goals much faster

The protocol can be summarized as 20 minutes exercise divided as follows: 2 minutes easy, then 30 second "sprint," then 1:30 recovery, another 30 second sprint, etc. done 8 times, which gives you 20 minutes. The sprints (which can be done on lots of equipment or with running actual sprints--I find the recumbent bike easier on my back and easier to control the difficulty level, since as I get fitter I can just increase how hard it is to pedal) are supposed to build in intensity, with the last 3-4 being very intense--I think Campbell described it as, "after 15 seconds you should feel like you can't go on at that level, but then just hang on for the last 15 seconds."

Campbell's instructions about nutrition around the Sprint 8 workout itself are simple: a little carb beforehand + two grams of glutamine (a very cheap amino acid); then no sugars for two hours afterward, but at least 25 grams of protein--which I take in a protein shake.

I'd check it out and give it a try (depending on your level of fitness, it might take some time to build up to a Sprint 8 workout--I was out of shape, so spent a couple months building up fitness on my recumbent Exercycle and walking every morning before starting the sprints).

Haven't been doing the sprints that long, but it seems to have a positive effect. I've been changing other things lifestyle-wise as well and have dropped a bit over 20 pounds since mid-August, but have a long ways to go still to be where I'd like to be.
sparkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkee View Post
Mercola has another post online which speaks to his results and benefits: Peak 8 Exercises Increase Your "Fitness Hormone" Levels

The big thing about this protocol is much higher growth hormone release. As Mercola states, the benefits of growth hormone release (which naturally drop off as we age) are several, but all are anti-aging:

Decrease in body fat
Improved muscle tone
Firmer skin and reduces wrinkles
Increase in energy and sexual desire
Improved athletic speed and performance
Ability to achieve your fitness goals much faster
I try to be open minded about things like this, but I've not heard anything positive about Mercola's recommendations/claims if this is the same Mercola I am thinking of.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I try to be open minded about things like this, but I've not heard anything positive about Mercola's recommendations/claims if this is the same Mercola I am thinking of.
Perhaps this may have influenced your thinking:

FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

Quote:
Many of Mercola's articles make unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations. For example, he opposes immunization [4] and fluoridation [5], and mammography [6]; claims that amalgam fillings are toxic [7]; and makes many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements. Mercola's reach has been greatly boosted by repeated promotion on the "Dr. Oz Show."
Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Perhaps this may have influenced your thinking:

FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims
That is basically what I recall. He's anti vaccination and does not have much in the way of scientific based evidence to back his claims other than testimonials. Maybe he does have some valid ideas, but it would be good if he could at least validate some of them via clinical trials.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkee View Post
You can read about it in a book by Phil Campbell, "Ready, Set, Go," (which is about other things than just Sprint 8--it's a total approach to exercise) but can easily find info on it on the web: Peak Fitness Exercise Benefits | Phil Campbell Interview
I was unaware of the possible relationship between HIIT and HGH.

Thanks for the info and congrats with your results.

I don't know anything about DR Mercola and his claims. But my personal experience has let me conclude the HIIT is a valuable tool in my exercise arsenal.

My primary HIIT routine is 24 minutes on a life cycle. 4 minute warm up followed by a 2 mintute, all out effort. That is followed by a 2 minute 70% effort "rest". I repeat the all out effort and rest for a total of 5 times.

My goal is heart rate. I try to get my heart rate up to its max rate in the 4th and 5th sprints.

I do this HIIT workout first thing in the morning before I have any food. Then follow it up with 20 minutes of stretching before getting on with my day.

The HIIT workout boosts my metabolism and its effects lasts all day. I can reliably lose a good bit of belly fat with this program.

My experience has led me to conclude that HIIT is better for fat loss than long, slow cardio.

My one drawback with HIIT is the metabolism boost interferes with my sleep (sometimes).
Old 10-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My one drawback with HIIT is the metabolism boost interferes with my sleep (sometimes).
As does advancing age.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can reliably lose a good bit of belly fat with this program.

My experience has led me to conclude that HIIT is better for fat loss than long, slow cardio.
I know this gives one a warm fuzzy felling but... there is no evidence to support such claims beyond anecdotal. (And yes, it is promoted very heavily by those with a health club membership, exercise quipment, a book,, etc. to sell.) If you are losing Belly (visceral) fat -- the fat surrounding your internal organs -- it is most likely from some other reason.

See for example:

Don't Die Early: The Life You Save Can Be Your Own: Rocky Angelucci: 9780985404505: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
on page 159:

Why Exercise?

There are probably as many reasons to exercise as there are people exercising. For me, some of the most compelling reasons to exercise are : [he lists six reasons].

You'll note that I didn't say that exercise was a compelling reason to lose weight. Read the works of Gary Taubes and you'll learn why exercising just to lose weight is a folly.
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It: Gary Taubes: 9780307474254: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
(See Good Calories, Bad Calories for a much more detailed explanation.)
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable: Stephen D. Phinney,Jeff S. Volek: 9780983490708: Amazon.com: Books

Quote:
Pages 25, 119, 125, & 135.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As does advancing age.
As does low testosterone. Poor sleep is one of the reasons I decided to have testosterone injections.

How's it working out so far?

Not well.

For the past 14 weeks, I have been receiving weekly injections. The first 2 nights are nearly sleepless because of excessive alertness. The next 2 nights are better, but not ideal. The last 3 are decent. Then its time to repeat the process.

7 weeks ago, I cut my dose by 30 %. I still had sleep problems and I was really lethargic the last 3 days. The follow up blood test confirmed a significant drop is testosterone levels.

I am just now trying twice a week injections to address the sleep problems. And lastly, I originally gave myself the injection in the morning. I am now giving the injection just before I go to sleep. I think it takes 6-8 hours for the injection to begin to diffuse into the blood stream.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As does low testosterone. Poor sleep is one of the reasons I decided to have testosterone injections.

How's it working out so far?

Not well.

For the past 14 weeks, I have been receiving weekly injections. The first 2 nights are nearly sleepless because of excessive alertness. The next 2 nights are better, but not ideal. The last 3 are decent. Then its time to repeat the process.

7 weeks ago, I cut my dose by 30 %. I still had sleep problems and I was really lethargic the last 3 days. The follow up blood test confirmed a significant drop is testosterone levels.

I am just now trying twice a week injections to address the sleep problems. And lastly, I originally gave myself the injection in the morning. I am now giving the injection just before I go to sleep. I think it takes 6-8 hours for the injection to begin to diffuse into the blood stream.
Wow! Have you considered a test for Sleep Apnea?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wow! Have you considered a test for Sleep Apnea?
I did some kind of sleep test in 2007. Some special equipment was hooked up while I slept. The Dr evaluated the results and nothing unusal was observed.

The underlying problem that I was struggling with (at that time) was eventually resolved by reducing corn in my diet and eliminating Green Tea of all things.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The underlying problem that I was struggling with (at that time) was eventually resolved by reducing corn in my diet and eliminating Green Tea of all things.
I don't know how you discovered that but I am always impressed with n=1 studies. If you aren't aware of Seth Roberts, you should visit his website. His followers (and, of course, himself) are always coming up with the most off-the-wall cures for common ailments.