Join Early Retirement Today

DR Oz and HGH
Old 10-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

DR Oz and HGH

The HGH part of this article is of interest to me as muscle mass preservation is important to my physically active lifestyle.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/super...-5-ways-5-days

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Posting a naked link like that is frowned upon here. Is there a point you want to make?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Posting a naked link like that is frowned upon here. Is there a point you want to make?
+1

please give an excerpt or summary.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Anyone who even listens to Dr. Oz should be given some leeway... at least, until they wakeup.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, I didn't want to copy the entire article.

Given the number of complaints, I will refrain from such efforts.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Please put some trousers on that link! Children may be reading this forum...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well, don't be too upset. This was nothing compared to the responses I received to my first like post... it was brutal.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahSkier View Post
Sorry, I didn't want to copy the entire article.

Given the number of complaints, I will refrain from such efforts.
No need to refrain from posting links--but people are unlikely to visit a link if they don't know what it is about and why it piqued your interest. This is one of the reasons the community rules include:

Quote:
Please do not post “naked” links, defined as links posted without explanation, interpretation or context.
Also note that posting an entire article is also not allowed, as explained here: Copyright, the DMCA, and "cut and paste" This policy protects the owners of this board from claims of copyright infringement.

[/mod hat off]

I did click on your link above, and it is about four amino acids that may foster HGH production by one's own body. I'm refraining from mentioning Lance Armstrong. Oh wait. .
Old 10-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

I did click on your link above, and it is about four amino acids that may foster HGH production by one's own body. I'm refraining from mentioning Lance Armstrong. Oh wait. .
I guess I am still figuring out what kind of content is appropriate. I am 50 and am struggling with some issues related to being 50 and being as active as I was when I was 30 or even 40.

I have just started taking testosterone injections and generally like the results. But I hate being dependent on a chemical. I am interested in sharing my journey, but this may not be the place.

The HGH article is of interest to me as muscle mass preservation is important to my physically active lifestyle.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Have you tried Geritol?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am interested in sharing my journey, but this may not be the place.
Oh, this is definitely the place for you. Just hang in there and you will find there are more knowledgeable people (and some extremely so) here on a very broad range of subjects as you will find anywhere. You will, further, find that (for the most part) they will all have your best interests in mind -- and/or they will be actively searching and struggling for answers same as you. Either way, they we are your peers.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess I am still figuring out what kind of content is appropriate. I am 50 and am struggling with some issues related to being 50 and being as active as I was when I was 30 or even 40.

I have just started taking testosterone injections and generally like the results. But I hate being dependent on a chemical. I am interested in sharing my journey, but this may not be the place.

The HGH article is of interest to me as muscle mass preservation is important to my physically active lifestyle.
If you'd posted this when you posted the link, you would have likely gotten the discussion you're looking for. There are several health-related threads going about low carbs, work outs, etc., and I imagine some of those posters would be interested in your progress.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you tried Geritol?
No I haven't. That's for old people

But I do take a multi-vitamin and a multi-mineral. I also take 4000IU vitamin D daily.

The orginal Geritol looks like more fun... that's when the tonic contained 12% alcohol.
Geritol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But I do take a multi-vitamin and a multi-mineral. I also take 4000IU vitamin D daily.
The multi-vitamin is good.

That is a lot of Vitamin D though... unless you live in a cave. And even if, Vitamin D still needs direct sunlight to activate in the body. I don't have evidence at my fingertips but I seem to recall that bad things can happen with excess artificial Vitamin D.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
The multi-vitamin is good.

That is a lot of Vitamin D though... unless you live in a cave. And even if, Vitamin D still needs direct sunlight to activate in the body. I don't have evidence at my fingertips but I seem to recall that bad things can happen with excess artificial Vitamin D.

It is not an accidental number. I had my blood tested before taking this amount and had a measurement of 32. I am now at 67... which is where I want to be.

My target range is 60-80.

I will probably go to 5000 daily during the winter as my sun exposure will be minimal during ski season.

Not sure about the activation. Sunlight is required to convert Vitamin A (edit... cholesterol ) into Vitamin D.

Also, the vitamin D I am taking is the D3 variety.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am curious why you know you blood levels of vitamin D. Do you know other blood levels for other assorted vitamins and substances? How do you pick which ones to test and how often do you need to measure them?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I am curious why you know you blood levels of vitamin D. Do you know other blood levels for other assorted vitamins and substances? How do you pick which ones to test and how often do you need to measure them?
+1
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The HGH part of this article is of interest to me as muscle mass preservation is important to my physically active lifestyle.

Supercharge Your Body: 5 Ways in 5 Days | The Dr. Oz Show
After following the link, my first impression was SPAM. However, it didn't tell me to buy this or that 'here'. Not sure what is being recommended.

I'm assuming, of course, that if I ask my MD for HGH, I'll get laughed at (as I think I should).

So, you want it, how do you get it?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is not an accidental number. I had my blood tested before taking this amount and had a measurement of 32. I am now at 67... which is where I want to be.

My target range is 60-80.

I will probably go to 5000 daily during the winter as my sun exposure will be minimal during ski season.

Not sure about the activation. Sunlight is required to convert Vitamin A into Vitamin D.

Also, the vitamin D I am taking is the D3 variety.
Vitamin A cannot be converted into vitamin D.

Ha
Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Vitamin A cannot be converted into vitamin D.

Ha

My bad. Cholosterol is the precursor to Vitamin D.

Since sunlight is required to turn cholesterol into vitamin D, avoiding the sun will likewise undermine our ability to synthesize vitamin D.

Vitamin D is Synthesized From Cholesterol and Found in Cholesterol-Rich Foods

The point is Vitamin D is made from the sun. Once it is made, it does not require further activation.