Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
I'm torn between the extreme vegetarian position and the paleo position.

On the one hand, the high-powered paleo athletes seem healthier and more energetic than the thin vegetarians. However, the most extreme cases of longevity all seem to follow the near-meatless and high low-intensity (functional) exercise plan.

Part of this could simply be that the high-power paleo athlete lifestyle IS better, but can't be sustained beyond say 80 - which leaves the placid, easygoing vegetarians to plod on to past their 100 year mark while the paleo founder, being unable to take on a new lifestyle at 80.
I'm not sure what you mean. Look at Jim Morris the 76 yr old vegan body builder and he's huge. Robert Cheeke is vegan. Peter Ragnar he's a big guy and a heavy lifter also into MMA and vegan except for velvet deer antler I believe but size is not the goal of a healthy person. Jake Shields and Mac Danzig both vegans are MMA fighters. The list goes on. Personally I have not eaten meat in 26 yrs that includes fish or chicken. I've been vegan most of that time. It's been 4 years since I had any dairy or eggs and I am a trained fighter. I find that I am better, faster, stronger as a vegan than I was as a vegetarian and even though I'm female I beat out the guys in their 20's quite often if they don't have adequate training.

I do not think you have anything to worry about when giving up meat especially since Harvard studies of 100,000 people and found bacon and chicken double your risk of bladder and pancreatic cancer. BBQing 44% increase of breast cancer and eating poultry or fish had the highest risk of endometrial cancer. Not to mention you will not be financing an abusive industry where animals are trapped in the horrific cycle of factory farming. Good luck with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf View Post
So, it seems, no one has even looked to comment on this link. I stopped looking at this site awhile ago after quite some time of participation b/c of so much pontification not based upon reference to credible sources.
Okay, here's your comment: The posted link goes to a site providing ill-supported opinions and conjecture. The organization is shoddy and her verbose approach to her scattered subject matter will try the patience of anyone attempting to actually obtain information. But thanks for the link!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Also their obesity rate is lower. I'm not sure why. Some say it's because they eat much less sugar, and they walk more (as part of their daily routines). But I'd sure expect that eating a lot of white rice would be a problem.
Mark Sisson has a good post on this topic: How Do Asians Eat So Much Rice and Not Gain Weight? | Mark's Daily Apple
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is new information about stents:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/28/he...d=2&ref=health

"The cost of the procedure varies from about $30,000 to $50,000, and more than one million are performed every year in the United States."

That means 30 to 50 B$s down the drain, 50% by Govt.?

landover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is another article and short vids supporting the point in this thread. Might help explain things:
I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care
web_diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting. I got the NMR study, it is now up to $125, but IMO worth it. Why try to cajole your doctor into doing something she never heard of when for $125 you can find out for yourself. Also, you don't need an Rx to eat more eggs. I have been hassled for years to take a statin for my moderately elevated LDL. This test says that although I do have plenty LDL particles, they are almost all the large fluffy kind. Other journal reading suggests that while taking a statin will certainly decrease your LDL-cholesterol, it will also decrease your HDL and perhaps most importantly increase the proportion of small dense low density lipoprotein particles.

Ha
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by web_diva View Post
Here is another article and short vids supporting the point in this thread. Might help explain things:
I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care
It appears that as we learn more it's not the absolute number that matters as much as the components of that number. Not *only* the HDL and LDL, but not all LDL are created equal, either.

Last time I had mine checked, my total cholesterol was 226. This is in the "borderline high" or "mildly high" category. However my doctor wasn't concerned because my HDL was almost off the charts (73) and my LDL to HDL ratio was less than 2-to-1 which is considered a very low risk. My family history has very little in the way of heart disease or heart attacks, so perhaps I can thank a genetic predisposition to very high HDL for this one. I don't think I'm particularly doing anything to boost my HDL.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #48

I've been eating 2 eggs for breakfast for over a year. I've also upped my saturated fat consumption, as I've 'sort of' loosely followed the Dukan diet.

I just got the results back from my required annual physical...total cholesterol 230...HDL 90. Not too shabby.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I've been eating 2 eggs for breakfast for over a year. I've also upped my saturated fat consumption, as I've 'sort of' loosely followed the Dukan diet.

I just got the results back from my required annual physical...total cholesterol 230...HDL 90. Not too shabby.

omni
If I may ask.. what were you numbers before you started eating like that?
(sorry if they are buried in a previous post. I did not see it)
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
If I may ask.. what were you numbers before you started eating like that?
(sorry if they are buried in a previous post. I did not see it)
razztazz,

They were 235 and 76 the prior year.

I was not required to have annual physicals prior to that, so my data set is quite limited.

The dietary change (lots of eggs and saturated fats and fewer carbs) is the major change I made. I maintained a similar level of exercise over the 2-year time span.

According to Finding the Ideal Cholesterol Ratio the ideal ratio of total cholesterol to HDL is at or below 5:1 with ~3.5:1 as ideal.

2011 235/76 = 3.09
2012 230/90 = 2.56

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #51

Thank you mightily
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote