Join Early Retirement Today

Dried fruit, Anyone? Anyone?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dried fruit, Anyone? Anyone?

Anyhow, I was at Costco the other day and saw a 2+pound package of dried fruit (no sugar added). I bought it. Why? I don't know. It couldn't be for the same reason I own NLY (Annaly) because NLY at least has a high dividend (for now, at least). But, I don't know the advantages of dried fruit over the real thing. Whoops, I digress, so the question is:
"Why does dried fruit even exist and is it healthy/fattening/weird/unbecoming?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

It exists because it was once the only way of preserving food for future use - OK, I suppose our ancestors could have salted it, but ...yuk.

Less filling, more calories...

Quote:
According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the caloric content of fruit that has been dehydrated is approximately twice that of the fresh version. This value is not the rule for every fruit; some fruits, such as dried blueberries, contain nearly triple the calories.
Is Dried Fruit Really A Healthy Snack? | Lifescript.com
Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Concentrated calories.

One year I took chestnut crab apples and ran the dehydrator constantly for weeks. Ended up with a half a bale of dried apples. People ran when I came bearing gifts.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I use dried fruit in trail mix. I believe my mix is healthier than most trail mix I can buy. I also add dried cranberries, cherries, etc. to homemade breads, cookies, salads, etc. I keep fresh fruit on hand too, but I like the shelf life and versatility of dried fruit. As far as the healthy/fattening part, I think a dried apricot makes a pretty good substitute for a candy bar.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Anyhow, I was at Costco the other day and saw a 2+pound package of dried fruit (no sugar added). I bought it. Why? I don't know. It couldn't be for the same reason I own NLY (Annaly) because NLY at least has a high dividend (for now, at least). But, I don't know the advantages of dried fruit over the real thing. Whoops, I digress, so the question is:
"Why does dried fruit even exist and is it healthy/fattening/weird/unbecoming?
Fruit is good for you. Dried fruit is good for you as long as you don't eat too much. It's also easier to take with you and is not as messy to eat on a plane, in a car, etc. as regular fruit. As someone said, it used to be and easy way to preserve fruit but now it's not really necessary for that.

If you avoid the stuff packed in sugar and sulphur and you eat it in moderation it is very healthy and not fattening.
DoingHomework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingHomework View Post
Fruit is good for you. Dried fruit is good for you as long as you don't eat too much. It's also easier to take with you and is not as messy to eat on a plane, in a car, etc. as regular fruit. As someone said, it used to be and easy way to preserve fruit but now it's not really necessary for that.

If you avoid the stuff packed in sugar and sulphur and you eat it in moderation it is very healthy and not fattening.
But it's hard to eat it in moderation!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #7

I love dried fruit...in moderation. I cut up dates (2-3) every morning into my muesli. If I want something sweet, I reach for dried figs, again in moderation. It's very handy for on-the-go eating when away from home, between meals.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Another dried fruit lover here. I order from a place in GA where I also order nuts. The catalog is at the office and I can't recall the name of the vendor but their fruits and nuts are very good...much fresher than elsewhere I think. I can buy delicious Medjool dates at the health food store. They are truly succulent and satisfy even the worst sweet tooth with only two or three dates. And like a previous poster I think of them as an alternative to a candy bar.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
But it's hard to eat it in moderation!
I once bought a couple of pounds of dried apricots on a road trip and scarfed down about a dozen of them before I realized that I'd made a serious mistake. Once they rehydrate in your gizzard, you might as well have eaten a dozen fresh ones.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It was a lifesaver in Haleakala crater.

First, you don't want to pack around anymore weight than absolutely necessary.

Second, on the hike you're burning a lot of energy at (hopefully) a relatively sedate & constant pace. Protein bars help keep up with that and your body chemistry stays fairly stable. But on the back half of the hike, when you're just beginning to realize how tired & beat your body will be that night, it's nice to have a good ol' fashioned fructose jolt to rev up your metabolism for the last mile or two.

I'm seriously considering Nicorette gum and chocolate bars in the extremely unlikely event I end up in the crater again.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 AM   #11

I put a few (12-15) dried cranberries in my oatmeal at breakfast. Some times I will add fresh fruit or dried frozen blueberries instead or as well. I love dried apricots and mangos. I now have an urge for dates. But today is farmers market day so will be buying some fresh.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #12

Dried cranberries are great in salads.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #13

we dehydrate our own fruit. mainly for our hiking adventures.

we also dehydrate fruit that is given to us. the in laws have peach and apricot trees. a couple years ago, the apricots were on and i was sick of eating them. some time chopping, a little dehydration and i could enjoy them at a more reasonable rate...
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #14

My only suggestion is if you are constipated, chug down a few handfuls of the dried cherries that Aldi's sells...and man! they are really good, tart-type Michigan cherries, too!
You won't be....uh, ahhh...ummmm...anymore!!!

I've also thrown these cherries into making roast chickens, salads, oatmeal, etc. They are so darn good for the money!

Traverse City (Michigan) has a company that sells dried tart cherries on Amazon.com. I'm really tempted to try them and see.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Too fattening for me.

When I was about 20 and skinny, I thought dried fruit was great. I loved it though I lamented its expense. Looking in the mirror reminds me that I am no longer 20 or skinny, or someone who should have anything to do with dried fruit.

Of course, those of us who climb mountains get a free pass IMO - - but only while they are either on a climb or less than 10 pounds overweight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Too fattening for me.

When I was about 20 and skinny, I thought dried fruit was great. I loved it though I lamented its expense. Looking in the mirror reminds me that I am no longer 20 or skinny, or someone who should have anything to do with dried fruit.

Of course, those of us who climb mountains get a free pass IMO - - but only while they are either on a climb or less than 10 pounds overweight.
Too hard to eat in moderation, IMHO! Too yummy. I too - astounding, huh? - am no longer 20 or skinny.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Too fattening for me.

Same here. Love the taste, was a staple on long bike rides and hikes, now way too many calories.