Join Early Retirement Today

Drink coffee and live longer
Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Administrator

Drink coffee and live longer

If this is true it is certainly good news.

Quote:
Men who drank 2 to 3 cups a day had a 10 percent chance of outliving those who drank no coffee, while women had a 13 percent advantage, according to research published today in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The study by researchers at the National Cancer Institute is the largest to compare coffee drinkers with those who avoid it to determine whether the beverage can delay the risk of dying from ailments such as heart disease, diabetes or respiratory illness, said Neal Freedman, the lead study author. It’s unclear why coffee may be beneficial and more research is needed to study that question, he said.
Story here Coffee May Help Drinkers Live Longer, U.S. Study Suggests - Bloomberg
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

This study fits in with my lifestyle, therefore I will accept it as gospel. When the study comes out that refutes this, I will ignore it. I feel better now.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #3

I have already sent the URL to my DW's email account, with the remark that I will most enthusiastically continue with this proven healthy and necessary dietary treatment.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada
This study fits in with my lifestyle, therefore I will accept it as gospel. When the study comes out that refutes this, I will ignore it. I feel better now.
+1

I drink 2-3 cups every morning with breakfast, and then 1 big cup every night around 10 o'clock. I've read a few different articles in the past few years about coffee being beneficial to ones health, so I just figure that it's some inexpensive, great tasting 'medicine'. So, let me see.....a cup of coffee, a couple pieces of dark chocolate.....now if only they'll come up with a study that shows bacon to be good for us!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

And it doesn't matter if it's decaf or regular. Party at Dunkin' Donuts!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is astonishing that a study that reports a 10% relative risk reduction can get published in the New England Journal. The chance that this means anything at all is vanishingly small.

Ha
Old 05-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is astonishing that a study that reports a 10% relative risk reduction can get published in the New England Journal. The chance that this means anything at all is vanishingly small.

Ha
+1

I'll stick to more palatable means of improving longevity:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15511128...ote-long-life/ (on the benefits of drinking red wine)

Life Expectancy - Have More Sex for a Longer Life Expectancy
Old 05-17-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
That's why I posted it.

Mr Ha, your point is well taken. Perhaps the significance is not the 10% but the conclusion that coffee is net positive. I like to see the studies and not the media coverage, and this time I did not because of what flyfishnevada wrote. Before posting here, however, I sent a copy to DW.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

I take a litre vacuum bottle of home-brew into the office each day, helps me get through the entire day nicely.
When I become unemployed toward the end of this year, I suspect I'll just be a morning coffee person and do 3 PM naps when the occasion demands...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
Administrator

A link to the study here

Quote:
We examined the association of coffee drinking with subsequent total and cause-specific mortality among 229,119 men and 173,141 women in the National Institutes of Health–AARP Diet and Health Study who were 50 to 71 years of age at baseline. Participants with cancer, heart disease, and stroke were excluded. Coffee consumption was assessed once at baseline.

RESULTS

During 5,148,760 person-years of follow-up between 1995 and 2008, a total of 33,731 men and 18,784 women died. In age-adjusted models, the risk of death was increased among coffee drinkers. However, coffee drinkers were also more likely to smoke, and, after adjustment for tobacco-smoking status and other potential confounders, there was a significant inverse association between coffee consumption and mortality.
Why am I not surprised that, after looking at the study, I have a different view?
No matter, though, because I am not looking for a reason to drink coffee, just some ammo for when people suggest I stop.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I haven't been drinking for most of my life but would occasionally have cappuccino and similar fancy drinks.

Then read that coffee is the top source of antioxidants for most people. Far more than green tea, for instance.

It doesn't hurt that they have a Starbucks machine at work so I've been having a small cup or two a day.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizard View Post
...I suspect I'll just be a morning coffee person and do 3 PM naps when the occasion demands...
And the problem with that is....?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's why I posted it.

Mr Ha, your point is well taken. Perhaps the significance is not the 10% but the conclusion that coffee is net positive. I like to see the studies and not the media coverage, and this time I did not because of what flyfishnevada wrote. Before posting here, however, I sent a copy to DW.
Yes; however with a small effect like this we really do not know that it is in fact net positive. One would have to see the data, but I would imagine that the confidence limits straddle the 1.00 hazard point. My guess and it is only a guess, is that it does nothing much either way for most people.

Smoking is the grandaddy of real health correlations, and get away from the US and you have to wonder. The US has smoking rates way below many other countries that have lower death rates than the US. Another factor rarely discussed is that in the US, smoking is a habit of the lower class, and people in lower classes do not live as long, be they smokers or non-smokers. Most of these 1.x or 2 hazard ratios do nothing except get some papers for epidemiologists who have not much else to occupy them.

Ha
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

to think.... I've been avoiding coffee all this time thinking it was unhealthy. Maybe I need to start drinking it.
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
+1

I'll stick to more palatable means of improving longevity:

Red wine promotes longevity? - Health - Health care - More health news - msnbc.com (on the benefits of drinking red wine)

Life Expectancy - Have More Sex for a Longer Life Expectancy
NOW you're talking.

Sometime I'll have to have Mr B do a cameo appearance here and describe what happens when I drink wine.

And yes, I drink coffee everday, always decaf.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #16

Coffee, wine and sex - all works for me.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Then read that coffee is the top source of antioxidants for most people. Far more than green tea, for instance.
I hedge my bets by having 2-3 cups of green tea every morning, followed by 2-3 cups of coffee.

I stir the contents of each cup with a piece of bacon.*

* Just kidding. As far as you can tell.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #18

Ok, hows this for a combo post? I had a retest on my PSA yesterday, I got good advise from the internet, no sex, bike rides, no alcohol, no coffee. So three days without coffee, and I was miserable, makes you wonder just how much coffee juices you up. Sitting here with my cup of joe waiting for my blood test results.

I was thinking of buying some Facebook, now I know the true effect of coffee.