Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many ounces of water do you drink a day?
0-16 10 10.99%
17-32 15 16.48%
33-48 13 14.29%
49-64 18 19.78%
65-80 10 10.99%
81+ 7 7.69%
Don't know 18 19.78%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I read some science article recently that said the 64 ounces a day recommendation is way too much and that over hydrating can be counter-productive. The article recommended drinking when you feel like it not forcing it. I did get dehydrated once when cycling on a very hot day in early spring. So I do pay close attention to hydration when exercising but it does seem like simply paying attention to your thirst is all it takes. The time I got dehydrated I was struggling to keep up with better riders and failed to pay attention to my growing thirst. When we got to a rest stop it was too late.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Is this really a thing?

I drink a glass of water with dinner. The rest of my liquids come from coffee and soda. I drink something when I'm thirsty. Is this suppose to kill me or something?

Unfortunately, life is fatal...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Really don't know, maybe two glasses a day, another 2-3 in equivalent coffee, a diet coke maybe. Never understood the fascination with drinking lots of water and avoiding other liquids. I'd do whatever feels good for you; doubt there's any solid evidence of x ozs a day (that isn't countered by other evidence otherwise).

One observation is that in Africa, west and east, the locals drink VERY little water compared to Americans (and alternative liquids were not affordable). When DS was in Peace Corps in Mali his host family was alarmed at how much water DW drank...maybe 3-4 bottles a day. They all seemed pretty happy and healthy. Would guess their urine was like pancake syrup! Oh, and they also wore layers of clothing that would have baked any of us.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #24

Will add that on long flights, then I am conscious about drinking a good lot of water. Makes a big difference in how you feel. Drinking alcohol on those flights will ALSO make a big difference in how you feel, but unfortunately it is not a positive benefit!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I read some science article recently that said the 64 ounces a day recommendation is way too much and that over hydrating can be counter-productive. The article recommended drinking when you feel like it not forcing it.
Somewhat related, I read a study on marathon runners and it turns out over-hydration is a bigger problem then dehydration with marathon runners. Over-hydration can cause a condition called 'water poisoning' and can be fatal under the right conditions. During the years covered by the study not one runner had died during a marathon from dehydration but several did die from over-hydration.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
When we got to a rest stop it was too late.
What happened?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What happened?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I got carted off to a hospital by ambulance.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #28

Drinking water

I drank at least 3 liters a day of water and usually more. Two of the three will be enhanced with electrolytes, amino energy mix or bcaa's. I'm in training for an athletic event so my needs are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have a tendency to get kidney stones. The urologist said that I should drink enough water to produce more than 2L of urine a day, and that I had to drink more in the summer due to sweating. Then, he gave me a 1-gal jug to collect my 24-hr urine for measuring as well as testing its composition. I was trying to pass a stone, so gave back to him a full jug.

Since then, I try to have plenty of fluid intake, but have no idea how much it amounts to. I guess it's more than 2L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
... Before I had RO, I drank a lot less since it was full of who knows what (city tap water)...
"Never drink water. Fish make love in it.” -- W.C. Fields.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
When I'm thirsty and so the urine runs fairly clear. That of course varies a lot with exercise and weather.
This reminds me of going through Air Force survival school. We spent about 7 days out in the woods doing lots of 'survival' stuff which included drinking lots of water. On occasion, an instructor would come look in the snow where I had peed to make sure it wasn't a dark yellow color. If it wasn't to the instructors satisfaction, you got to drink an entire canteen of water before moving on.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #31

I am kidney stone prone too and drinking water is a must.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

When you passed stones as big as this, you'd remember to drink plenty of water.

This photo was already posted in this forum a few years ago. Took 2 painful weeks.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #33

^ Ouch! I had one in Saudi...don't recall passing it, but I must've......just having it was painful enough.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Surprisingly, 10 years before passing that 9mm stone, I passed a much smaller stone, which was a sliver looking like a grain of rice, but with sharp edges. That stone cut the ureter and perhaps tumbled and punctured, causing a lot of pain and much bleeding.

The big stone pictured above caused less pain that the earlier small stone, surprisingly.

Or perhaps my "inside passages" have been all hollowed out after all these years.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #35

Getting knocked down and run over by a large City of Ottawa truck*, as I was, wasn't anywhere near as painful as the kidney stone, so I can imagine how you felt.

*The paramedics rushed me to the trauma hospital because my ankle bone was exposed and they feared I'd lose my foot.....a couple ER nurses commented on how 'stoic' I was......they didn't give me painkillers in case the foot had to be operated on, so I lay there for 8 hours......when the doc, (still no painkillers), was going to sew up the ankle he said "This is going to hurt"....I waited until he was halfway done and said "Ready when you are"...to the response of "Smart ass".

And that was nowhere near as bad as the kidney stone.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When you passed stones as big as this, you'd remember to drink plenty of water.

This photo was already posted in this forum a few years ago. Took 2 painful weeks.

Wow, that is crazy big! Mine was only 2mm and it still hurt like hell (had to take Vicodin to kill the pain for 1.5 days until I passed it.)

Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #37

They didn't consider sonic blasting it?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I suffered kidney stone pain for decades literally, thinking it was my back or something else. Thinking back, I was passing stones all the time without realizing it. Then when in my 40s, had severe pain and bleeding from a stone that landed me in ER. There, they diagnosed it, saw on X-ray that it did not obstruct urine flow, so sent me home with the instruction to go see a urologist. And I was just glad it was just kidney stone and nothing life threatening.

The urologist had another X-ray, saw that the stone had moved, so just had me tough it out. He gave me a screen to try to catch it for analysis, the grain-of-rice stone (it was mostly calcium oxalate).

When I had the huge stone 10 years later, it was caused by my eating a lot of cheese in one sitting (calcium!), followed by a big spinach salad (oxalate!). This time, I "knew" it was a kidney stone, so did not even bother to go to see a doctor and just toughed it out. No pain killer at all. And it did not hurt or caused bleeding like the previous tiny stone. So, I tried to catch it using the screen I kept from 10 years earlier, and it shocked me to see how big it was (it was dark with blood!)

So, I do not know what they would do if they saw a stone that big.

Anyway, I have not had anything as dramatic as that 9mm stone, just an occasional pain when I forgot to drink enough water.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #39

I don't drink much of anything and I'm suppose to due to my migraines. I use to wake up almost every morning with a migraine. The migraines are cause by dehydration. I'm never thirsty and if I try to drink/force more water I feel sick. I try to drink more coffee/tea/juice now to stop the migraines.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:20 PM   #40

I drink a lot of water everyday, and even more on hot days or if I'm biking or walking or working outside in the gardens or yard. Normally I down at least 8 oz. as soon as I get up in the morning, and another 16-20 oz. with breakfast, along with coffee. Another 16-20 oz. with lunch, and the same again with supper. Between meals I usually drink anywhere from 16-32 oz., and then between supper time and bedtime I drink another 16-20 oz. If I get the urge to snack, I usually just drink a glass of water instead, and find that the urge normally goes away!

Water is my #1 drink of choice. I've cut way back on coffee in the last couple of weeks, and have only been drinking about a cup and a half with breakfast. I drink 6-8 oz. of cranberry, pomegranate, or orange juice almost every day, and maybe 8-12 oz. of milk per week. I almost never drink pop.