Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many ounces of water do you drink a day?
0-16 10 10.99%
17-32 15 16.48%
33-48 13 14.29%
49-64 18 19.78%
65-80 10 10.99%
81+ 7 7.69%
Don't know 18 19.78%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Drinking water
Old 05-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Drinking water

I'm starting to concentrate on drinking more water. DW says that one should drink half their weight in ounces of water per day. How much do you drink per day?
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #2

When I'm thirsty and so the urine runs fairly clear. That of course varies a lot with exercise and weather.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My goal is 64 oz per day, I never reach my goal...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #4

I fill up a 3L jug and fill it with water from my RO tap. I never drink all of it, but at least I know if I've had less. Before I had RO, I drank a lot less since it was full of who knows what (city tap water). I know it wouldn't kill me (right away) to drink the tap water, but now I have no excuses.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I measured mine not long ago. I was thirsty, only drank water when my body said to, about 200oz daily. I've added 16oz of gator aid daily now I'm probably down to 100oz daily.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do not drink a target amount of water - instead, I use thirst and body weight to monitor my hydration level.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM   #7

You mean just plain water. Not including any of the other liquids we ingest that are almost entirely water: coffee, tea, soda, sports drinks, milk, beer, etc?
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
You mean just plain water. Not including any of the other liquids we ingest that are almost entirely water: coffee, tea, soda, sports drinks, milk, beer, etc?
Yes, just plain water
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

Most people tend to forget that there is a large amount of water in most of the food we eat.

I have never made any sort of effort to consume more water. I simply drink when I'm thirsty. If my urine shows any significant color, I know I should drink more, and I do. Otherwise, I let my thirst dictate my consumption.

Fortunately, beer is about 95% water!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #10

I now drink the 1/2 my body weight. I was NEVER thirsty even when I only drank 1/2 class a water a day.. however, I ate a lot more to quench my thirst. I also use to have signs of dehydration such as Charlie horses..which btw, go away almost immediately upon drinking water.

Now that I drink the recommended amount, I feel better, my skin looks better, and I don't get any leg cramps. People complain about going bathroom a lot more but since I use to drink coffee, that was a bigger issue than the water is.

The problem is that yes we have water in other things but our body often indicates its hungry when its actually thirsty so if you have any weight issue, this would help. And that too many people drink caffeine as part of that water and that has its own side effects...so water is best, though I don't like plain water so I always toss either a citrus fruit in, cucumber, herb, or strawberry just for a little flavor.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Having had a flare up of gout will teach you beer doesn't always replace water.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #12

I haven't measured how much I drink but I don't drink anything but water, no soda, juices or flavored drinks. Except 1.5 cups of coffee with breakfast.

I start the day with a large (16 oz) glass of Brita filtered water with 2 fiber caplets, because high fiber makes the world go round.

The rest of my water during the day has recently been carbonated water from a SodaStream. Most people use SodaStream with flavorings but I like just the plain carbonated water. I've been drinking the carbonated water with lunch and dinner and I keep a glass of it with me at the computer.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #13

Is this really a thing?

I drink a glass of water with dinner. The rest of my liquids come from coffee and soda. I drink something when I'm thirsty. Is this suppose to kill me or something?
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

When I went to my doctor because I was getting light headed he recommended I drink 64oz of water a day and "maybe eat fruit instead of donuts" for snacks at work. He of course was right. I feel better. No more light headedness.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If I make it to 48 ounces, it's a miracle. I really have to make an effort. I don't even try to do more.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

95% of all my fluid intake is plain ol' water. I have a bottle with me at all times and drink around 70oz per day unless i'm really active then it's somewhere upwards of 80oz.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Drinking water
Old 05-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #17

Drinking water

http://youtu.be/6RlUINK84mo

Seinfeld on "hydration".

Or as Lewis Black said, if you don't drink 56 bottles of water per week, scientists say at the end of the week you should turn on a garden hose and shove it up your ***.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

A habit acquired while living in Japan is to drink two glasses of water upon arising. Around 20 to 24 oz then wait an hour or two before eating or drinking, which for me is usually coffee in an hour or so as I normally do not eat before 11ish. I think Google will bring up some hits on this practice.

...but whatever, watch out or the next thing ya know you could be squatting too.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:21 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I drink water mostly, well at least after a lot of coffee first thing in the morning (side effect of still w*rking). I probably get at least 64oz each day. Unfortunately I get caught up in the day too often, in which case I'm making up for the deficiency at and beyond dinner, and you can imagine what that does to my overnight sleep pattern :-P
Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Drink back coffee (no sugar), black tea (no sugar), and water only......no set amount..it varies.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote