Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Though I have a Bowflex Ultimate, I will sell it before we move to downsize, it takes up way too much space. I'm not sure we'll keep the treadmill either, not only space but I'd rather walk outside and do in all but the most extreme weather.
+1. I assume few if any of us are training for a bodybuilding contest, we're just trying to keep fit. If so, you can do good resistance training with nothing more than a good set of dumb bells and the basics (push ups, sit ups, chin ups, squats, etc.) - you don't have to have a weight machine. If you need more resistance (unlikely IMO), old style free weights don't have to take up much room.

I have Bowflex SelecTech dumb bells, all I really need.
check your craigslist for this kind of stuff. It's on there all the time.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

True. Trouble is, people are looking for someone to haul it away. You have to have access to a truck, someone strong enough to load and unload it, and the knowledge to reassemble the machinery at your home. Our inability to achieve this combo is what's kept us from buying a higher-end machine from a previous owner.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
check your craigslist for this kind of stuff. It's on there all the time.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #23

You also have to take into account the time & gas spent getting to & from the gym.

If your aim in doing weights is to keep fit you don't need a room full of weights - good space efficient solutions have already been listed above.

On the other hand, if you're training for a competition - post pictures
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
the knowledge to reassemble the machinery at your home.
We've found that taking pics during each stage of disassembly helps in this regard.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #25

I found that if I do what I like - walking 3-5 hr per week with a little bit of strength training I can stick to it for a longer period of time. If I had to drive to a gym nothing would happen.
We have a wellness program at work. Since I travel extensively my coach devised a custom program for me. It involved searching out the nearest gym to each hotel and get each visit documented by the staff. This would involve three or so different locations per week. My walking program was fine however I could not offer proof. Needless to say this was a joke and I made up the $600 bonus in other ways.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a member of the Y, and it is very convinient as it is block away from work, and I pass there on the way home from work. From home is it only a 3 mile drive, so I go there during the weekend if I have time.
When I move to a different town in retirement, I am looking for another gym.
As a retired man, "exercise" will be morning work schedule, so I need a good gym.
Although socialization is not important now as there are other venue, when I retire I need to interact with some people too.
I do Ellipticals for aerobics 5 days a week and machines for Weight training about 2x a week. People can actually just run or walk, but Ellipticals allows me to do it quicker and safer indoors.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

When we relocated I decided to stop my gym membership. I get plenty of strength training out of a set of 5, 12 and 20 pound dumbbells. I have a treadmill, but I rarely use it because I get enough exercise most of the time with my other activities. I don't miss the gym in the slightest and if anything I am more fit now than I was as a gym membership. All this and a cubicle day job, too.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I always hate it when people ask for opinions and then never say what they decided ...so here is what we are doing.

We are cancelling the Y. We aren't joining Gold's. DH thinks we'll just end up paying for it and not going. He likes doing the concept 2 at home and would prefer to do the weight training at home too.

I bought the Bowflex dumbbells that Midpack showed a pic of along with the stand. (I wanted to keep them on DH's nightstand but I got overruled). We also bought a couple of stability balls (which we had used at the Y and liked) and a set of resistance bands. We realize we didn't have to get both the dumbbells and bands but wanted to have alternatives so we don't do the same thing all the time and when we travel we can take the bands with us).

We get free Prime shipping from Amazon and it will all be here Wednesday. The cost is several hundred dollars but the likelihood we will actually use them is much greater than joining a gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
If your aim in doing weights is to keep fit you don't need a room full of weights - good space efficient solutions have already been listed above.

On the other hand, if you're training for a competition - post pictures
Just to keep fit -- although I am at awe sometimes of the competitors.

A few years ago I was doing some research on various exercise programs and came across an ebook someone had written on older people (well, over 40 as I recall) who had exercised and became fit and had a short article on each one.

I was dumbfounded when I saw that the head of my son's school was one of the people profiled. She had been overweight and out of shape and went into weight training in a big way. I was surprised since when I saw her she was always slim and trim looking. She was about 60 years old. Well -- the results were astonishing. She actually ended up competing in bodybuilding for older competitors and doing well. And, yes, there were pictures and I was amazed.

Anyway...I don't think I'll end up doing that well
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #29

I think that is a good decision Katsmeow. You can always make another decision later if it doesn't work for you.
For myself, we are members of a Y. It is within a mile of my house. If it was 30 minutes away, I would probably have to do something else. As it is I have the resistance bands, many sets of different weights (5, 8, 10, 12 and 20 pounders), a stability ball etc at home. I use those when my schedule doesn't work to get to the Y.
I really like the socializing at our local Y and it is one of the reasons I prefer to exercise there.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #30

Saw this when trying to figure out what the bowflex dumbbells are.
Nautilus Recalls Bowflex Dumbbells Due to Injury Hazard
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. I have always refused to use adjustable weights. I have in storage a group of gym type dumbbell handle and plates. But they would take up too much space in my small apartment. I may try to talk my son into having them at his house, and I could bring a selected few to my apt. The cast hex head ones are failure proof also.

Ha
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Saw this when trying to figure out what the bowflex dumbbells are.
Nautilus Recalls Bowflex Dumbbells Due to Injury Hazard
I always thought exercise could be bad for one's health .

Maybe the weights that Katsmeow bought are different, but I saw this in Walkinwood's link:

"Under federal law, it is illegal to attempt to sell or resell this or any other recalled product"
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I bought the Bowflex dumbbells that Midpack showed a pic of along with the stand. (I wanted to keep them on DH's nightstand but I got overruled). We also bought a couple of stability balls (which we had used at the Y and liked) and a set of resistance bands. We realize we didn't have to get both the dumbbells and bands but wanted to have alternatives so we don't do the same thing all the time and when we travel we can take the bands with us).
I have bands for travel purposes and they are really convenient. Plus they give resistance in different ways than the weights, so it isn't bad having access to both.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #34
gone traveling

I agree with adjustable DBs if space is problem. Iron Masters are considered a best choice from the body building community (and they can even be dropped):

Couple that with an incline/flat bench and add in some body weight exercises and you can accomplish a lot strength wise.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I agree with adjustable DBs if space is problem. Iron Masters are considered a best choice from the body building community (and they can even be dropped):

Couple that with an incline/flat bench and add in some body weight exercises and you can accomplish a lot strength wise.
The guy who lifts that one in foreground must be a brute.

Ha
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The guy who lifts that one in foreground must be a brute.

Ha
Their standard set adjusts up to 75lbs/dumbbell, but they have an extension kit which raises that to 120 lbs. While I can handle 75s, anything much beyond that is pushing it
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Their standard set adjusts up to 75lbs/dumbbell, but they have an extension kit which raises that to 120 lbs. While I can handle 75s, anything much beyond that is pushing it
Doing 75s puts you into a very strong group. Congrats!

Ha
Old 11-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Doing 75s puts you into a very strong group. Congrats!

Ha
I'll say!! That's quite an impressive achievement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I could pick them up off the floor...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info on the Bowflex recall. Looking at the recall it is apparently only some ones that were sold between May and August 2011.

The ones I bought are actually from Bowflex although bought on Amazon so I would be dumbfounded if I was shipped the defective ones. However, I will certainly check when they arrive on Wednesday.

EDIT:

Actually I looked at the recall notice again. That is on the 1090 which is a heavier dumbell than the type I bought.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote