Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
try caking on carmex

There ya go! My lips dont crack, but I literally go insane if I am not slapping it on every few hours... I may kill myself if Carmex was ever not around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got 10 Chapsticks original black wrapper for Christmas. Best gift ever.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Would a dermatologist be the right type of doctor to see for this condition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
...A few months back I had a case of chapped lips....

The cure for it (and I am expecting this to recur from time to time) was applying some over-the-counter athlete's foot cream before bed.
Sounds like either a dermatologist or a podiatrist might be able to help.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Sounds like either a dermatologist or a podiatrist might be able to help.
Actually I kicked it off with my regular GP. Figuring if I needed a Lip-ologist he'd refer me to one. He made the correct diagnosis and the Hoof-and-mouth cream fixed it up. But of course the Op might have a different problem
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
try caking on carmex
Not sure about caking on, but for me Carmex is the best.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #26

OK, I slathered on some Carmex and will see how that works. I look like my face just fell into a jar of vaseline. Oh well.

I'm drinking lots of water now too - thanks for the tip Nash.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
OK, I slathered on some Carmex and will see how that works. I look like my face just fell into a jar of vaseline. Oh well.

I'm drinking lots of water now too - thanks for the tip Nash.

If Carmex works, you will never find anything else satisfactory, believe me. Chapstick just wont cut it. Google "Carmex addiction".
5. You’re addicted to it because you might be allergic to it. Besides the camphor and menthol, Carmex also includes several other ingredients that can cause sensitivity. The irritation creates a never-ending cycle of Carmex addiction. Dr. Bowe says, “Carmex has many irritating ingredients that can cause inflammation in the lip area in people with sensitive lips. These ingredients can cause people to feel as though they need to reapply a lip balm more frequently, so it feels like an addiction.” Here are several of these ingredients, which are also found in other lip balms and may attribute to their addictiveness:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:12 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

This thread reminds me that I used to have severe problems with dry and cracked lips when younger. Chapstick worked for me, Carmex didn't.

I cannot remember when the problem went away. Definitely more than 15 years ago, maybe 20.

What changed? Who knows. I used to have severe hay fever. That went away too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #29

Besides drinking more water, experiment with taking some coconut oil. Try the kind that does not solidify at room temperature. Add it to a smoothie or protein drink.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:09 AM   #30

Ditto on drinking more water. Every time I get chapped lips, not drinking enough water is a big culprit. Aquaphor, Vaseline, Chapstick, they all work. They also keep you from licking those chapped lips. Licking one's lips is a huge culprit.

Sometimes a secondary Candida or other infection make the problem worse.

Everyone has their favorite remedies, but avoid anything flavored or scented to avoid allergies. I have never seen an allergic reaction to Aquaphor or Vaseline.

Also eating too much some certain fruit may trigger a local reaction, such as kiwi.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:03 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

When you are close to home try some 100% coconut oil, I use the same jar I cook with, it works like a charm. I do not know if you can find it in a lip type application. No artificial add-ins that might cause drying.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote