Join Early Retirement Today

Dry hands during winter.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #1

Dry hands during winter.

Anyone found a way to keep your hands and fingers from cracking open during the winter?

- I use hand lotion about 5 times a day and it does not seem to help during the winter. The tips of my fingers crack open often. If I am working on a project like even tying trout flies, the problem gets worse. It seems like the older you get, the dryer the skin.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Dry hands during winter.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Gloves

Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol_Rancher
Gloves

You can't tie flies with gloves on!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

CT, are you using a humidifier in your home? It would help.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Do what the farmers do. Don't use lotion. Lotion is for pussies. Use bag balm. Put it on after washing your hands when your hands are a bit damp.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseken
CT, are you using a humidifier in your home? It would help.
Yes. - But the air is still much drier inside and out compared to summer.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ever try Cornhusker lotion or Aveeno Intensive Relief Hand Cream?

Ol Rancher has a point. I do know some people who put the lotion on and then some plastic disposable gloves before they go to bed. Next day everything is fine.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #8

C-T:

This might work. I read about it (or a product like it) in Mother Earth News about ten-twenty years ago. It's used by dairy farmers, especially in the winter when they were dealing with their own cracked and dried fingers and rough udders. They slathered it on and as they . . . um . . . worked it was also spread on the cow parts, helping them both. At the time it came with very high recommendations by folks who handled teats a lot. I've never tried it though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...=3760901&s=hpc
Old 11-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Do what the farmers do. Don't use lotion. Lotion is for pussies.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #10

Do the dinner dishes by hand and your skin will be hydrated then use a heavy emollient type of product immediately after. I suggest vaseline or bag balm. This works very well for me for both hands and feet. Lotions are just fluff in my book. I also rub in a bit of olive oil whenever I am cooking and using it. Try not to rub yourself with too much garlic though!
Old 11-21-2006, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Ever try Cornhusker lotion or Aveeno Intensive Relief Hand Cream?

Ol Rancher has a point. I do know some people who put the lotion on and then some plastic disposable gloves before they go to bed. Next day everything is fine.
I had a friend who worked in maintenance at a petro-chem plant, that used this technique for years! It worked very well. Prior to that, his hands (esp. fingers) would crack and bleed.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie
Do the dinner dishes by hand and your skin will be hydrated then use a heavy emollient type of product immediately after. I suggest vaseline or bag balm.
A more comfortable product than either traditional pretroleum jelly or Bag Balm is emulsified pertroleum jelly. It's basically petroleum jelly that's been whipped up to incorporate air.........it's sort of fluffy. It seems to penetrate skin better than straight petroleum jelly or Bag Balm, both of which seem to lay on top of the skin. We buy a CVS house brand of emulsified petroleum jelly which comes in a tube. Very small premium in price compared to straight petroleum jelly.

The Vaseline brand of petroleum jelly usually carries a significant price penalty and the house brands are excellent substitutes.

DW has some dry skin issues which require maintenance. Globbing on emulsified petroleum jelly and then wearing gloves to bed was recommended by her dermatologist and has been very effective.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Lotion is for pussies.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #14

We use the Bag Balm for our hands too. Dh taped drywall as a living and that stuff sucks the moisture out of skin. I had him try the Bagbalm and he was amazed at how much it helped heal his cracked and dry hands.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

A dermatologist once told me to apply a thick lotion and put on some thin cotton gloves before sleeping. I do not remember the brand of lotion, but it was a lot heavier than the cheap stuff I had been buying.

I later solved the problem by moving 1,000 miles south.

Those of you recommending latex gloves, aren't you worried about your skin not being able to breathe? When I wear latex gloves for more than fifteen or twenty minutes, my hands get too moist and I have to dry them out.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter
I later solved the problem by moving 1,000 miles south.
That was my first thought too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My son has the same problem with his hands, C-T. They get dry and crack and bleed in the cold. We use Aquaphor, which is usually available from the pharmacist without a prescription, but behind the counter. It is petroleum jelly based but has additional ingredients that seem to make it more effective.

We have tried other products, but this is the only one that seems to work for him.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 PM   #18

My husband gives me a foot rub with Palmer's cocoa butter (from Eckard's Drug) once or twice a week. His hands get even softer than my feet--and I love the chocolate smell! His father used to get cracked and bleeding hands after he retired to Maine--wish we'd known about cocoa butter then.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

As with many things, preventative maintenance is a good idea. Use the treatment of your choice (and the bag balm is pretty effective but I also use Aquaphor) BEFORE things get bad.

It is interesting how it is usually a lot less bother to prevent a situation than to recover from it.

cheers,
Michael
Old 11-22-2006, 04:40 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraAnne
We use Aquaphor, which is usually available from the pharmacist without a prescription, but behind the counter.
BarbaraAnne, I think we use the same thing, except here they call it Aquaphilic. A dermatologist recommended it to us. It really does work well for the type of thing Cut-Throat is dealing with. We, too, just ask for it at the pharmacy - they keep it behind the counter.

http://www.medcolab.com/prodaqua.htm

Cut-Throat, I have the same problem. The skin near the corners of my fingers cracks in the winter. Hurts like hell. It has also helped me to literally file those areas down with a nail file - the skin tends to thicken there when dry, which makes cracking more likely.

I also believe that many of us are dehydrated without realizing it. As we age, we tend to lose our sense of thirst - at least I have. I must force myself to drink more, and I don't keep it up as I should. Whenever I do drink more, I feel better in general.