Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I started this diet May 2 at 162. I lost 7lbs after a 5 day Attack. I lost 3lb (weight varies during the day though: 152-153lb) at the end of last week, and as of today I have lost another 2-3lb ( current wt. 150-152lbs).

Like Zero, I follow a routine.

Breakfast on pure protein (PP) days is usually 2 hardboiled eggs + turkey pastrami, porridge made from 2tbsp oatbran, skim milk, splenda and spices and coke zero. Alternately, I will add oatbran to a 2-egg omelet with the pastrami or smoked salmon as a filling.

Breakfast on protein veg (PV) days is a crustless quiche with whatever vegetable is on sale such as spinach, asparagus or broccoli on the side

Lunch PP: baked chicken thighs made with some sort of marinade such as a tikka paste or jerk paste and pancakes made with the oatbran

Lunch PV: turkey or bison burgers with lettuce and tomatoes; or baked pork on a bed of veggies

Dinner PP: More baked meat (ick), or grocery store rotisserie chicken

Dinner PV: shrimp and cabbage stir fry; or curried lamb stew with cauliflower "rice"; or baked tilapia seasoned with lemon, cilantro and thyme with broccoli

Dessert every day: Greek yogurt flavored with a crystal light

I don't snack because I'm not usually hungry. But I do keep some string cheese in the refrigerator at work for emergencies.

I do cheat. For example, the quiche contains cream. I eat chicken skin. I use a little oil in my stir fry. At some point, I will have to deal with eating in restaurants.

I will have to figure out a plan for peach season in August. Worrying about peaches sounds weird, but clementines caused me to fall off the Atkins wagon.

I also worry that I'm using artificial sweeteners in the form diet sodas, sugar free gum and crystal light where I didn't before.

I've cut back on the fluids Dukan recommended. I was drinking about 3L per day which meant at least two trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

What else... the howstuffworks website was inspirational

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I clicked on this thread because I thought it read "Drunken Diet" which, you gotta admit, would be a lot more fun.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Banister: Where were you able to purchase the Oat Bran?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran Hot Cereal. My local grocery store carries it. I don't remember the exact cost - maybe $5-6 for a 1lb bag?

Don't be thrown off by the hot cereal in the name. Oat bran is the only listed ingredient: Oat Bran Cereal - Bob&#039;s Red Mill

The blog I mentioned earlier recommends Hodgson Mills brand:
Dukan Diet Oat Bran: Where to Get it, How to Prepare it – The Blogs at HowStuffWorks
Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hhmm. My previous reply to Bizladydidn't post. Was it because of the links? Anyway the answer was that I bought Bob's Red Mill brand oat bran at my local supermarket (Shoppers). The package describes it as a hot cereal, but the only ingredient is oat bran. Someone else recommended Hodgson Mill.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Low carb without fat is like sex without -- you know.

Fat doesn't make me fat. If it did I wouldn't be skinny.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Low carb without fat is like sex without -- you know.

Fat doesn't make me fat. If it did I wouldn't be skinny.
Al, you have always been thin. What made you move to the low carb diet? I have also always been thin, and in my case I moved to the low carb diet trying to keep sub-diabetic A1c's. I'm in my 14th year, and every year I shave off a little more carb from my intake.

Ha
Old 05-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

True, I've never had a problem with weight, but a few years ago I weighed 175, and today I weigh 154.5 pounds. I had tried unsuccessfully, mainly through exercise, since age 25 to lose that roll of fat above the belt.

I do low carb because:

1. I was curious about why we have an obesity epidemic, and my research led me to the conclusion that it's caused by overconsumption of carbs, and that humans are not "designed" (by evolution) to eat a lot of carbs.

2. My blood glucose was a little higher than I'd like, with a 5.6 A1C. My older sister is pre-diabetic.

3. I wanted to make it easier to ride up hills on my bike. Cheaper to lose 10 pounds from my body than buy a 10-pounds-lighter bike ($3,000).

4. I wanted to support Lena, who wanted to lose some weight.

5. Vanity. I want to look good and never have to suck in my gut.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
True, I've never had a problem with weight, but a few years ago I weighed 175, and today I weigh 154.5 pounds. I had tried unsuccessfully, mainly through exercise, since age 25 to lose that roll of fat above the belt.

I do low carb because:

1. I was curious about why we have an obesity epidemic, and my research led me to the conclusion that it's caused by overconsumption of carbs, and that humans are not "designed" (by evolution) to eat a lot of carbs.

2. My blood glucose was a little higher than I'd like, with a 5.6 A1C. My older sister is pre-diabetic.

3. I wanted to make it easier to ride up hills on my bike. Cheaper to lose 10 pounds from my body than buy a 10-pounds-lighter bike ($3,000).

4. I wanted to support Lena, who wanted to lose some weight.

5. Vanity. I want to look good and never have to suck in my gut.
Thanks for the answer. Your (A1c) status is identical to mine. My brother who has been diabetic since he was 35, on low carb now has a 5.2 with no meds at all. Prior to low carb he took a salad of oral meds and struggled to keep his A1c in the mid 6s. He went on low carb when I was staying at his house. His wife had recently died, and he really had no idea how to cook. So I cooked, and I only cook low carb. I taught him how.

A month later he called me with the story that he had been eating at some grill where he found he could get low carb easily, and he crashed to the floor and only regained conscousness in the ER. A month of low carb had improved his glucose status to where his oral meds alone gave him extreme lows.

I have no doubts at all that if diabetes, or a predisposition to diabetes is part of the picture, low carb and correct exercise are the royal road to improvement.

Also, I second the vanity factor. Men are easily as vain as women ever were. At the gym, I see a lot more guys preening in front of the mirrors than I see women doing so!

For sure I want to look good, and the older you get the more that desire can be pretty well satisfied (in many women's eyes) just by having a trim and athletic physique, standing up straight, and keeping your teeth in good shape. I know that we are not supposed to care what impression we make on others, but it is gratifying to me to merely walk down the steet and be able to read approval in some faces.

Ha
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingie View Post
We started the diet on May 10. DH is down 12 pounds fron 200 and me just 6 pounds from __. This diet is not for the faint of heart, very rough. I don't think we will make it much longer and will probably switch to Weight Watchers for the long haul. The Dukan diet is too restrictive and meat is becoming sickening. All that COOKING/GRILLING is also becoming too much.
Bingie, hang in there, I am on day 16 and 15 lbs down and I feel absolutely great. I agree the meat starts to get old but here are a few tricks.

Use the oat bran as a filler. I put about 4 oz of crumble hamburger 7% and get it almost done but still a bit juicy and then add in the cooked oat bran and it makes a mush. I add salt and pepper and it's filling and tricks my brain.

I grill my chicken thighs 6 at a time with Creole seasoning and get them charred on the outside on a grill but not 100% done. Then I nuke a couple and put Frank's Hot sauce and that is a great spicy lunch.

Hang in there, the weight loss is amazing. I'm in Cruise Phase and added a salad and sauteed veggies on my mixed days.

Slowed to less than 1 lb a day but my abs are starting to show for the first time in 10-15 years.

Worth the pain.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
I think I will give this a try in late June when hubby is away on his fishing trip- or he will think he can eat all the meat he wants plus everything else! I am having a hard time finding the oatbran however- local stores do not seem to carry it...

Will probably use it as a kick start, and switch then to something more balanced.

Would love to hear more how Zero and Mmm Rrr are doing on the diet!
Bizlady, if you have a Whole Foods they have Red Mills Oat Bran. But you are right, it's not in very many stores which surprises me.

If you do the diet, try staying on the 100% protein Attack Phase for at least 5-6 days and you should drop a lot of weight depending on where you start from. That gave me so much incentive. I hit the first 10 lbs loss within 8-9 days and I was sold.

My issues:
For some reason, for about 2 days my breath was different and not pleasant. Also seemed like I had BO, even though I spend lots of time in the Pacific Ocean each day. Strange that it was just the couple of days.

I felt a bit tired on the first 2-3 days, and seemed to have a very, repeat very, mild headache a couple of the early days.

After about the 5-6 day, I cannot remember feeling better in quite a while.

The diet is a real regime and the payoff is a nice/quick weight loss.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm going to give this some serious effort and see if I can tolerate the high protein. As it is, I just eat veges and fruits and carbs, very little meat. But I need to lose weight very badly and I'm willing.

So, I was wondering if you all think I could substitute ground flax seed for the oat bran? or maybe half and half?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I'm going to give this some serious effort and see if I can tolerate the high protein. As it is, I just eat veges and fruits and carbs, very little meat. But I need to lose weight very badly and I'm willing.

So, I was wondering if you all think I could substitute ground flax seed for the oat bran? or maybe half and half?
Yeah, you can substitute the flax seed. His purpose for having the 1.5oz of bran is to give the dieter just a bit of carbs to satisfy the craving. Originally that was not in the diet at all.

So yeah I'm sure it would work. He suggests making a small pancake of the oat bran and I actually made a flapjack with it and used it like a totilla for a couple of meals.

My take is this. I tried every diet method know to mankind. Eating Weight Watchers, 1200 calories diets, vegetable heavy diets, etc. Most lasting two-three months and I lost 4-5 lbs.

Dukan, zing, 15 lbs in just over 2 weeks and I can tell it came right off the fat areas. That part is so obvious. Had a small pillow of fat on my belly, and it's gone.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For some reason, for about 2 days my breath was different and not pleasant.
This is a good thing -- an indicator that you are in ketosis, and burning fat instead of carbohydrates. Many say that drinking a lot of water will reduce or eliminate this side effect.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #35

I've been using the Ketosis measuring strips and so far the reading have been in the "moderate" region.

Seems the key to this diet is getting the fat burning for energy and not having any fat intake. Sort of like eating you own body.

Another 3/4 lb loss this morning and I can tell weight loss has slowed to less than a pound a day now for about 3 days.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
My take is this. I tried every diet method know to mankind. Eating Weight Watchers, 1200 calories diets, vegetable heavy diets, etc. Most lasting two-three months and I lost 4-5 lbs.
Yeah, me too. Diets only work if you can stick with them. For example, one diet allowed six ginger snaps as a snack. I wasn't able to stop at six, so that diet failed for me. My sister doesn't like the idea of Dukan (or Atkins) because she thinks it's repetitive and boring. Yet she eats the same cereal for breakfast everyday, has rice and pasta with most dinners. Dukan probably wouldn't work for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Dukan, zing, 15 lbs in just over 2 weeks and I can tell it came right off the fat areas. That part is so obvious. Had a small pillow of fat on my belly, and it's gone.
Does your weight fluctuate a lot? On Friday, I was 150lb; yesterday 153; today 152. Most likely, it is water retention, but it happens more on this diet than others.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by banister View Post

Snip...

Does your weight fluctuate a lot? On Friday, I was 150lb; yesterday 153; today 152. Most likely, it is water retention, but it happens more on this diet than others.
I have only had two spring backs and that was just as I started the Cruise. On the day after the veggies, I tend to gain a lb and yep, it's water.

So I started doing 2 protein days and 1 protein/veggie day. I am getting very close to my goal and will go to the Consolidation by Friday I think.

This diet works very well in the protein phase and weight came off quick but I just cannot see a woman tolerating this diet, at least none that I know.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #38

Zero...Bizlady....somebody....please tell me about the oats...

I've been an Atkins dieter off and on but it seems that my living off of bacon and sausage some days....along with eating the skin off of the chicken 1st....will have to go with Dukan's plan...

Do you incorporate the oats in your cooking?....maybe have them for breakfast?...I did read the blog that someone here included where the blogger actually ate them right out of the bag/box and thought of them as treats!!?? Yuck....I think...

Edit ~ I went back a read the earlier posts and have concluded that I bought the wrong "oats"....Red Mill they are but I bought "extra thick rolled oats"....a rookie mistake I guess from a guy that has never even eaten oatmeal.....grits, YES....oatmeal...BLAH!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Zero...Bizlady....somebody....please tell me about the oats...

I've been an Atkins dieter off and on but it seems that my living off of bacon and sausage some days....along with eating the skin off of the chicken 1st....will have to go with Dukan's plan...

Do you incorporate the oats in your cooking?....maybe have them for breakfast?...I did read the blog that someone here included where the blogger actually ate them right out of the bag/box and thought of them as treats!!?? Yuck....I think...

Edit ~ I went back a read the earlier posts and have concluded that I bought the wrong "oats"....Red Mill they are but I bought "extra thick rolled oats"....a rookie mistake I guess from a guy that has never even eaten oatmeal.....grits, YES....oatmeal...BLAH!
VACollector, if you live in VA you will probably be familiar with corn grits, the oat bran looks identical, like coarse sand. And, the best part, treat it like grits and make it with butter, salt and pepper and it's a great side dish. Put boiling water over it and maybe nuke it for 20 seconds, let sit and ready. You can also get a recipe for a galetta and make a pancake, etc.

But my favorite is to take the oat bran, season it like grits and fry about 4oz of hamburger (7% fat) and mix them like a mush. Tastes very good.

Dukan says eat it like a sweet cereal or as a savory cereal.

I use 0% Fat Cottage Cheese, 0% Fat Greek Yogurt, and the oat bran as a way to get away from just meat.

BTWW down 19.5 lbs in 19 days.

BUT, I really hung in there with the will power. Not a lot of folks will be able to be in a situation to do that.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #40

Way to go Zero. Nice loss! You and Banister have motivated me to get started. Grocery shopping tomorrow, and diet starts Friday!