Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a big fan of the Attack Phase and I love the all protein portion of the diet as long as I have a good variety in my meals.

So I'd recommend that anyone serious about weight loss give the Attack Phase a serious chance, go for 10 days. I suspect you'll lose 8-10 lbs, I lost a pound/day. It will really motivate you to continue.

With that initial weight loss you will feel so good about the diet that it's hard to drop out. I suspect you'll feel pretty good both physically and mentally and the loose clothing will be a constant reminder that things are working.

NOW, for my admission of failure to adhere, I tend to stay in perpetual Attack Phase and Cruise Phase. AND, in Cruise Phase I go 2-3 PP days (Dr. Dukan himself originally suggested something like this but relented to make it more palatable for all), then I go just 1 PV day. So I'm constantly getting 2-3 Attack.

I have just started to add a slice of whole grain bread but only 1 slice.

Yesterday:
Breakfast: 2 Eggbeater omelet with 2 slices deli ham and my oat grits. 200 calories.
Snack: 4-5 slices of Oscar Mayer DeliFresh smoked turkey dipped in mustard. 50 calories.
Lunch: 4-5oz of salmon seasoned with smoked Spanish paprika and onion powder. 300 calories.
Snack: 0% fat cottage cheese, with some OM DeliFresh ham slices 150 calories
Dinner: Grilled chicken breast seasoned with Creole seasoning, and cottage cheese. 380 calories.
About 1100 calories and I was full all day.

Good luck.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:12 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey, Dukan dieters, can you post what you are doing to keep the meat/protein meals more interesting? Anything -- like spices, rubs, anything to mix it up?

ZERO - I know you swear by soul food salt. I looked at the grocery store, but couldn't find it. Can you tell me who makes it? Is it in the spices/salts section?

TIA,

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

A few ideas:

When the idea of just meat was not appetizing I mixed Greek yogurt with dijon mustard and a bit of black pepper. I used this as a dipping sauce for cooked chicken breast or pork loin cut into finger shaped pieces. Adds some moisture and extra flavor.

I also made meatballs with ground turkey, a bit of chopped onion and garlic, some minced ginger, an egg, a tbsp of greek yogurt, and a hit of soy sauce. Then dry fried them in a nonstick pan. They're moist and slightly asian tasting. You can make up a big batch and nuke them as a quick snack.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Hey, Dukan dieters, can you post what you are doing to keep the meat/protein meals more interesting? Anything -- like spices, rubs, anything to mix it up?

ZERO - I know you swear by soul food salt. I looked at the grocery store, but couldn't find it. Can you tell me who makes it? Is it in the spices/salts section?

TIA,

omni
Omni550, here is the spice and it's a great spice for putting on a large chicken breast with bone and skin on, and push it under the skin and be liberal on the ouside of the skin. Grill it or roast it till skin is crispy and it's awesome. Also makes a nice rub for steaks on the grill.

Classis Spices Soul Food Seasoning Salt.

Just to add: I make my own rubs and I sometimes use the Soul Food and just add more Smoked Spanish Paprika. Oh, my, that is some kinda good. Also jazz it up with a tiny bit of Ancho chile powder.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #105

Omni550 ~

Five favorite meals (in no particular order) ~ eaten any time of the day....I've eaten breakfast at dinner time and actually
grilled a skinless chicken breast 1st thing in the morning (OK....so 10 'ish ) ~

#1 - two eggs (a lot of folks like Eggbeaters too) cooked any way, a couple of slices of turkey bacon (microwaved) and the oats
prepared to the consistency of grits.

#2 - lean hamburger (occasionally with a slice of cheese)

#3 - fresh skinless chicken breast (Sam's Club sells a pack for about $10) cooked whole....or sliced into chicken strips....or lightly
covered in a Char Crust rub that actually does what the name implies ~ flavor AND a little crispness. I also usually cook several
at the time and keep them in the fridge for other meals or snacks.

#4 ~ talapia, oven cooked until a flakey white....

#5 ~ fresh garden salad...lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber with pieces of the chicken breast cooked above.

Snacks include thinly sliced turkey breast (some others like the ham too), boiled eggs or a microwaved piece of two of turkey bacon.

Having come from the Atkins diet to Dukan, I still use real butter for some flavor (although sparingly) especially when cooking the
fish (and on corn on the cob mentioned later) and I have still been able to continue losing weight.

While I DID enjoy the taste and texture of the non-fat dairy cottage cheese, it caused my body to experience things that the meats
do not, I don't like yogurt and although I have eliminated dairy for now, some of those products just might work for you!

Additional veggies include canned asparagus, onions (on the grill) and I have also cheated with grill-cooked corn on the cob
(cooked in the husk and mouth watering good!),

I know that I could also have a lean steak but have chosen not to add them yet as I happen to be a rib-eye lover and
feel that they have too much fat content for now. I miss 'em a little, but have really learned to like chicken ~ more
than I ever thought that I would!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #106

Well, I've started the Attack phase.

I'm finding that I had been a inveterate snacker (mostly lime and chile mixed nuts from Trader Joe's. Yum.) Now I can see that I need to keep protein snacks at-hand.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement to begin Dukan and the many suggestions. I'm not very creative with food prep and choices so I have created a list of all the suggestions and will use them as reference material going forward.

This week, I will be traveling to a week-long social gathering, which will be a huge challenge not only in trying to stay on the Dukan plan, but to avoid all of the many food and drink temptations that will be everywhere.

omni
Old 06-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
I'm not very creative with food prep and choices so I have created a list of all the suggestions and will use them as reference material going forward.
I have been cooking for myself and/or myself and my son for almost 15 years. I am not even slightly interested in cooking, I do my best and it always tastes fine, but as my son said to me last fathers's day, remember the years when we had rice and beans every night?

I am not convinced that being a good cook or being very interested in food and cooking is even good for a person who wants to remain lean. If you have to kick yourself into fixing something because you are getting really really hungry, I do not think you are going to be fat.

So for me anyway, fancy dishes are mostly beside the point. I believe that if someone has a pastry habit, or a pizza habit, or a french fries habit, the most effective way to stay away is to link these things in one's mind with disgusting images.

I used to seek out the best Euro-bakeries, even outside Seattle, and make special trips to them. As soon as I became convinced that for me this was bad bad stuff that would harm me, I put my mind to work to make it almost impossible to consider eating them. Once you do that, and stay off these destructive foods for a while, you really no longer crave them.

Ha
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am not convinced that being a good cook or being very interested in food and cooking is even good for a person who wants to remain lean. If you have to kick yourself into fixing something because you are getting really really hungry, I do not think you are going to be fat.
This might be true, assuming you live at least 20 miles from an area with fast food places. In my experience, waiting until I'm really hungry doesn't result in me fixing something, it results in me heading to Taco Hell, and a couple thousand calories of bad carbs, bad fat, and unidentifiable protein. So having some decent recipes that can be prepared ahead of time so there is always something savory in the fridge is the best recipe for weight loss and/or control.

Or were you talking about someone with will power? If so, nevermind.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
This might be true, assuming you live at least 20 miles from an area with fast food places. In my experience, waiting until I'm really hungry doesn't result in me fixing something, it results in me heading to Taco Hell, and a couple thousand calories of bad carbs, bad fat, and unidentifiable protein. So having some decent recipes that can be prepared ahead of time so there is always something savory in the fridge is the best recipe for weight loss and/or control.

Or were you talking about someone with will power? If so, nevermind.
+1
Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #110

Well, after 4 days on the Dukan Diet (full disclosure: except for a single lunch at an exclusive, boutique-y garden place at a monastery with no appropriate Dukan choices, so I ate the tiny tea sandwiches and cake with whipped cream that were served ), I've lost 3.6 pounds in 4 days.

Like others have reported, I'm not ever overly hungry. The only "ravenous" hunger I noticed was a few hours after the tea sandwiches & cake, so I ate some no-fat cream cheese rolled up in a ham slice and it went away.

The "all protein, every day" Attack phase is easier than it sounds. I plan to stay on it today and start my Cruise (alternating protein days with protein-veggie days) phase tomorrow. I will be traveling for a week, starting this evening, so I'm sure some food challenges await.

I do miss the snacks (nuts, fruits, etc.) of which I've been so fond. But I notice that my snacking was driven more by something to do (oral fixation?) or desire to experience some nice flavor rather than hunger. Now, when I'm in the kitchen (and previously would have grabbed a quick snack), I just leave the kitchen empty-handed and don't really miss it.

I can truly say that, so far, this has been the easiest weight-loss that I've ever experienced. No counting of calories or points, no special diet foods or supplements, no special recipes or cooking and best of all, no feelings of hunger.

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement to get started. Only 15 pounds to go.

omni
Old 06-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

I agree, omni. We started on Monday this week and I"m down 5 lbs and DH is down almost 4. It is not too hard to do, especially with the new little George Foreman grill I bought--makes turkey burgers a snap! I also bought two bags of wild-caught Alabama shrimp that made a nice addition to our Eggbeaters in the morning.

Still haven't found the oat bran, but I'm looking at Whole Foods today.

It is easy to understand, there is no portion weighing or clock-watching for when and what can I eat again, and I am happy with the quick start to losing weight.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #112

Whole Foods should have Bob's Red Mill Oat Bran.

One trick I learned was to go ahead and cook a week's worth of the oatbran and keep it in a Tupperware bowl in the fridge. The Red Mill is darn easy to cook just pour boiling water on it, then nuke for 50 seconds and keep an eye that it doesn't form a mushroom cloud.

One and a half ounces isn't much but I bet the oat bran seasoned like grits with 2-3 shrimp in it would be a very nice breakfast.

Good luck, sounds like you are off to a nice start.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #113

Omni550 and Sarah-congrats on a great start! Keep us posted as you go- always fun and motivating to see what others are doing.

I found the oatbran in my store with the oatmeal section.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been doing the Sonoma Diet for over a year and lost ~ 40lbs. Hit my goal weight. Reduced my bad Cholesterol and increased my good. It is a lifestyle change and focused on portion control, via plate sizes and % allocation of protein/grains/Veggies/Fruits + snaks + wine. It is basically a mederteranian diet.

The Official New Sonoma Diet - Get a Trimmer Waist in Just 10 Days!

It has been life changing for me and finally given me a format that works consistently.

Good luck
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Omni, how are you doing so far?
I started last Monday and am down 10 pounds, adding veggies in small doses this week. I'm pretty happy with the protein choices, as we eat a lot of fish and shrimp in addition to chicken and turkey.
I do like the Eggbeaters and mixing the oat bran with some shrimp for a shrimp/grits sort of taste.
Not at all hungry, which is a huge change--I tend to obsess about my next meal if I'm on a restricted diet, and I really almost forget to eat some days at lunch.

In-Control, congrats on your weight loss and lifestyle change! That is fantastic

Old 07-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #116

Everyone seems to be having pretty nice results. Congrats.

Lately I am traveling quite a bit ( last 8 days ) and it's really difficult to find protein in hotel buffets, and as an entree in most diners. Gained about 5 lbs in those 8 days.

I'm frustrated that I cannot get my proteins. I hope to find a way to travel and still keep to low carb diet going. Hope someone has suggestions. I found one airport trick was to buy an Arby roast beef and just eat the meat.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

What about some beef jerky to carry with you and any chance you could get boiled eggs? Or an insulated pack with some deli turkey or something similar?
I think a club sandwich could be dismantled at a diner for the protein. No chicken breasts?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
What about some beef jerky to carry with you and any chance you could get boiled eggs?
If you can get no-sugar beef jerky it will work very well. Years ago we lived in Eastern WA and I killed a really big mule deer. We made much of it into jerky with just salt and red pepper powder and black pepper; drier than one typically makes jerky. We put a lot of it into a pillow slip and went over to Seattle for almost a month, and mostly ate the jerky plus some salads from Pagliacci Pizza. Sometimes if we stayed with friends I would make a Sonoran caldo with the jerky. If you are a highclass businessman you might want to lose the pillow slip, but the diet works great.

Ha
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #119

Well, I think this board has clairvoyants among the posters because I did have two boiled eggs for breakfast this morning at my hotel's "continental" breakfast buffet. But here were the choices.

1. Boiled eggs.
2. Cereal x 8 kinds with whole milk mainly.
3. Toast, bagels, muffins, jam, jelly, creme cheese, etc.
4. Waffles and pancakes.
5. Yogurt
6. Fruit of several sorts.
7. OJ, tomato, etc.

So protein was an afterthought in the buffet manager's mind evidently.

BTW, the two boiled eggs were at 7:45AM and I finally got hungry again at 2:43PM. With this diet a person might starve to death because hunger does not automatically occur within an hour or two from agrousing, gurgling, angry stomach. Very odd not to feel hungry.
Krispy Kreme and The Outer Banks of North Carolina...
Old 07-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #120

Krispy Kreme and The Outer Banks of North Carolina...

Our annual two week family vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina began on June 26th and I was within a single pound of my intermediate goal.....so I decided that a trip to Krispy Kreme could be in order but that I would stop only if the HOT NOW sign was lit....

~ one dozen hot, glazed along with another dozen chocolate cake & chocolate creme filled ~

Well that's how the trip started and so I was definitely on vacation and DW decides that breakfast was still necessary..... Hardee's biscuits and gravy...OK, only a cup of gravy and hash rounds for me....but dayum....

All week long I ate what the rest of the crew ate....fried seafood, pizza, coca-cola.....and then there was Dairy Queen....conveniently located less than a block from our cottage....when it came to this Dukan diet, I was bad to the bone

Fast forward thru to the end of week one and I needed to bring the DW home for her new j*b....spent the night at home...then got on the scale that morning as I was to return to The Outer Banks....holy poop Batman....I had no idea that you could gain weight that fasssstttt!

Up 6 and 1/2 pounds in only one week!

Now I know what you are thinking.....not to worry....get back on the wagon and you'll be fine.....BUT then I played the "Hot Now" game again on my July 4th return trip....and I won again....or not, depending on which side of this diet that you're on (Dukan vs vacation)....and believe it or not, I ate doughnuts again that day ~ ALL DAY ~ and NOTHING but doughnuts

I actually did not feel like I had put on 56+ pounds....pants were still loose....still not hungry (hahahah....stop laughing!) ....but with my DW gone for the week, I did make the right decision....NO.....NOT more doughnuts.....but to get back on Dukan.

As a side note, the only noticeable change that I DID experience was with my bath room habits....I went from a doodle a day to 2-3 or more per day....and was hoping that the change was keeping my weight in check...but as reported above, it did not.

My DD was not real happy with my decision to return to Dukan as she was enjoying the vacation eating but fate actually stepped in as she ran in to one of her old high school buddies that had actually moved there earlier this year.....and so I could proceed without worry of being tempted with more Outer Bank treats ~ seafood and otherwise.

I am back to the attack phase now (day 5) and I am happy to report that after the official two week vacation ~ and ALL of that enjoyment ~ I am only 2 pounds from my beginning vacation weight and have a renewed conviction that I am sure will take me to my next goal!

I think the moral of my adventure is to not beat yourself up if you fall off of this diet ~ just get back into it when you're ready ~

OK, that's my update....BizLady? Omni? Zero? Sarah? Mmm?

I trust that everyone else has faired better and would love to hear of everyone's continued success....
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote