Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #121

Bad boy with those Krispy Kremes LOL! It is amazing how fast weight comes back when you throw in the towel. On any diet.
But it is just a matter of getting back to it, so I'm glad you are back to it. I am fortunate that DH is on the diet wagon with me, so we try to keep each other motivated

I am down 12.8 pounds in 13 days. I feel good and most importantly have begun to eat when I'm hungry and not just because I'm bored, it is time to eat, or because someone else is eating. Losing those external clues and re-learning how to listen to my internal hunger has been very valuable.

I'm pretty excited to be getting close to wearing some clothes that were relegated to the back of the closet a while ago!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

VAC, I am also at the beach and it's almost "mandatory" that I follow the crowd and join in on the feasting or I kinda drag the mood down. I'm kinda shocked at how strongly associated bread, cheese and sweets are with "fun!".

After 3 days of tourism, I have gained 4-5 lbs and luck would have it, the hotel room has a scale.

Pizza, burgers, dogs, burritos, ice cream and cinnabuns have my friends in a death grip and I can see it in their energy levels and fitness. Likely they see me as Ichabod Crane, and just one meal removed from starvation.

I have noticed the same as others mention, and that is the desire to eat (while on Dukan) is tied to need to eat and not sightings of titillating foods. But the minute I am forced off the diet and onto gratification food the cravings are immediate it seems.

Clear as a bell, a diet with mainly protein keeps my weight in check, and switching back to carbs is like the process of fatting up a pig for market.

Lost 20+ lbs in 3 weeks and have been able to maintain that loss in spite of pressures to "eat like the rest of us".

Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I'm sad to report that I, too, fell off the Dukan wagon this past week. I've regained much of the weight I'd lost (~3#).

But am now back home and have access to the good foods I need to eat (and away from endless an endless bounty of bad choices).

It does surprise me now quickly my body gets hungry and wants more when I feed it carbs versus how it feels full (for an extended period of time) when I feed it proteins.

I have another week-long trip coming up (staying on a college campus without a car to get off campus for meals), so finding good food choices will be a challenge.

omni
Old 07-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
VAC, I am also at the beach and it's almost "mandatory" that I follow the crowd and join in on the feasting or I kinda drag the mood down.
To me, the people who want you to harm your health to avoid having their mood dragged down should grow up.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
VAC, I am also at the beach and it's almost "mandatory" that I follow the crowd and join in on the feasting or I kinda drag the mood down.
To me, the people who want you to harm your health to avoid having their mood dragged down should grow up.
How is this different from people who want your son or daughter to take bong hits to avoid being "party poopers"?

Ha
Old 07-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

I've converted to a mostly "paleo" or "caveman" diet over the past few months and look at it more as a lifestyle change than a short term diet. I really wasn't doing it to lose weight, just to be healthier and I've dropped a quick 10 lbs and feel great.

At a high level, no grains, no dairy, no processed foods and eat as much lean meats and vegetables as you want. It takes a little work to convert from eating pizza and pasta and milk and cereal each day; but, so far it's working like a charm for me.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Dude, bong hits and Krispy Kreme. This has become my new favorite thread.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #128

Maybe this is what the 1950's ads meant about "Smoking Marijuana leads to addiction", and they were saying that Krispy Kreme was the real hard drug.

Glazed eyes, and crystallized sugar on the lips = addict.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #129

My weight is coming off slower than others. Am down 14.5 lbs in 6 weeks, but FIL had been in hospital last 10 days. So little time to cook, and too many meals out and at cafetreria. Hope to get back on track this week, but still happy with overall loss-considering. At least I did not gain! Do have another 20 lbs to go however....
Old 07-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

For you wagon faller off-ers, there's plenty of room here on the Atkins and paleo wagons. We have nice fatty food on this wagon, and we're frying up some bacon and eggs right now with cheesecake and whipped cream for dessert.

When someone asked an anthropologist what cavemen ate, he said "The fattest animals they could kill."

Saturated Fat is Good for You - by Uffe Ravnskov MD - Part 1
Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #131

I have managed 2 days of getting back on the Dukan wagon in the Attack mode and it's amazing how quickly the weight dropped right back down.

My fat storage is a circle of about 4 inch radius around my navel and if I have a couple of slices of pizza and a beer for dinner, I can see the fat the next day.

Gonna read that article because I really love fried eggs and bacon. Unfortunately I like them on bread slathered with mayo.

BMI = 21.3 today, at 180 lbs and 6'5", would love to get it under 21.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #132

Three days back on the Dukan wagon and I've lost 3#. I'm never hungry.

I do miss 'munchies'. I bought several types of jerky, thinking that might help, but don't really like the sensation of chewing on shoe leather.

-------------

Today's NYT had an interesting article on eating fats....
"Scientists in California and Italy reported last week that in rats given fatty foods, the body immediately began to release natural marijuanalike chemicals in the gut that kept them craving more."

When Fatty Feasts Are Driven by Automatic Pilot - NYTimes.com
Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #133

Good job Omni!

Keep it up BizLady....this diet does seem to work best when you can control
your total environment ~ what to eat as well as when to eat....

Zero ~ I can only hope to actually GET to where you are now....

Other than the occasional cherry tomato that I eat while picking 'em, I'm
trying to stick to the attack phase and as of this morning I am a pound under
my pre-vacation (4 dozen doughnuts!) weight....it is absolutely AMAZING how
quickly the weight drops off when you can stick to it!

I have also found that if I set small goals along the way, with a planned reward,
that I am able to focus better ~ my next "celebration" will be 11 pounds from
now....with my timeline goal being somewhere around the end of August.

Thanks again to all who are on the journey with me!! Keep sharing!!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
I'm
trying to stick to the attack phase and as of this morning I am a pound under
my pre-vacation (4 dozen doughnuts!) weight....it is absolutely AMAZING how
quickly the weight drops off when you can stick to it!
Great job, VaCollector!!! Keep up the good work.

omni
Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #135

Congrats to you all!
And, without being too TMI, this is the first time I've ever gone a month without gaining three or so pounds "like magic" at a certain time. I even lost weight! So that in itself is pretty amazing. I'm down almost 15 lbs in 15 days.

Did some whey protein powder with skim milk for breakfast along with our eggs. DH is getting a bit tired of the meat, so I thought this would add a bit of variety. We'll be sticking very close to the alternating PP and PV days until the 27th, when we leave for our favorite music festival. I will fall completely off the wagon while there, and enjoy myself thoroughly.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm down almost 15 lbs in 15 days.
Woo-Hoo! You go, girl!!!

Quote:
I will fall completely off the wagon while there, and enjoy myself thoroughly.
Might as well, you're on vacation. And many of us have learned that the specific foods we need on Dukan are not always readily available when we're vacationing. Plus I found myself far more tempted when surrounded by all the yummy things that I don't keep in my house.

At least you now know how to get any weight gain back off quickly.

omni
Old 07-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Fortunately, my summer retreat is a lake place in the middle of the boonies, so there are no HOT NOW signs waiting to grab me as I drive past. But I have been letting myself drink freely and I haven't been sticking to the Consolidation phase strictly at all. And I'm still losing weight, 3.6 pounds lower than my target now. I'm down from a BMI of 25.8 to 22, and had to buy a smaller bathing suit.

The lake place has a kazillion steps from the road to the cabin and then on down to the lake. I'm sure that helped. And I did take my Greek yogurt and oat bran along. And of course, protein cooked on the Weber is the best!

Congrats to the rest of you on your progress.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We'll be sticking very close to the alternating PP and PV days until the 27th, when we leave for our favorite music festival. I will fall completely off the wagon while there, and enjoy myself thoroughly.
I actually lost weight last year. Danced and sweated all the beer out, and mostly ate chicken-on-a-stick and salad. Of course, I didn't have an Argosy stuffed with munchies on hand.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #139

Well, the Argosy is pretty well stocked with munchies. But yeah, we will surely be sweating out some poisons in front of the main stage in the hot sun together, Harley!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #140

Day 6 of the Attack phase and down 5.7#.

I'm still impressed at how 'not hungry' I am. Yesterday, I had 2 eggs for a late breakfast. Due to a mid-afternoon dentist appt. and some other running around doing errands, didn't eat until I got home after 8pm. I really wasn't hungry, but Dukan says not to skip meals, so I had a burger then and a little yogurt with oatbran for 'dessert'.

omni