Dukan Diet anyone?

Has anyone noticed a health difference beyond weight loss? For example, my sneezing, itchy throat allergies are back. I noticed this link for the first time when I went back and forth with Atkins. It seems to be holding true for Dukan.

I've been on several trips recently and each one caused me to gain a few pounds due to airport food limitations and meals with friends. I eat whatever the host has prepared (an upbringing thing). But as soon as I can get back home and control my diet, the weight just drops right off.

I just restart the Attack Phase and consistently lose a pound a day. And I'm not hungry.

Just had some spicy chicken thigh meat sliced and put atop a bowl of Shirataki tofu noodles. Tasty and filling.

I'm happy to have discovered this diet.

Keep up the good work!

As for health issues, I woke up a couple of mornings with leg cramps, which is unusual, but seemed to have gone away now.
Banister, I wonder if there is something you are eating that is causing the allergic reaction? Maybe that you didn't eat when you weren't on the diet?

I've found that I lose more weight, more steadily, when I really make an effort to drink more water during the day. I made the souffle that was listed on the Dukan Facebook page the other night and DH loved it! Still tinkering with the sauces, but I'm just not all that much of a whisk hand, unfortunately. We've added back an old breakfast standby from the past, protein shakes, which I know are a "food" of last resort to Dukan, but sometimes it is just hard to make breakfast every day. We just mix the regular whey powder with milk and add in a Crystal light single if we want a different flavor. I try to limit these to about once a week, though.

In 6 weeks, I've lost 21 pounds and DH has lost 23 lbs, taking into account the week we put on 6 pounds at the festival.

Zero, I've not tried the Shirataki noodles before, but I may give them a shot soon.

Any updates from the Dukan Dieters?

I started the Dukan diet August 28th and did the Attack phase for 8 days losing 4 pounds. My starting weight was 177 pounds and my goal weight is 150 pounds. I have gained 17 pounds since moving to the Tampa Bay area two years ago and it needs to come off. Between menopause and being more sedentary (no longer walking a big plant all day), my weight was going up, up, up!

It's too hot around here to be carrying extra weight and I was beginning to see my BP creep up. It had always been below 120/80 but now I was getting regular readings around 128/84. After one week on the Dukan Diet, my BP readings are back in the 115/75 range. :dance:

Like others, I haven't felt hungry and I have bundles of energy. Fish and dairy has been my main source of protein (I think I'm growing gills and udders) as I've eaten fish but no other meat for the last 25 years. My skinny, carb-loving DH is out-of-town with the Red Cross for up to 3 weeks so it has been easy to only have Dukan-friendly items around.

We're still on it, albeit with a total fall-off-the-wagon Labor Day weekend behind us. I get lazy about cooking, so we tend to eat the same things a lot, but it is easy to stay on it at home. I like the diet, because I don't tend to crave carbs and sugar all that much. It is a bit harder to accommodate going out with friends, but we can usually work it out by "bending" the rules to include lower calorie drinking options and salads for meals.

Went to Bonefish tonight for dinner at the invitation of my "new" Grandma and her son who is visiting from PA. Normally, I would have had at least one Cosmo (the bartender there makes the BEST Cosmos) and the bread and dipping oil. I was good and skipped both. Lots of calories avoided.

I had Ahi tuna and some veggies. Didn't touch the rice. Again, calories avoided.

First meal out was a success. I was down 4.5 pounds on the morning of the 9th day.

Down 7 pounds after 3 weeks. Haven't lost any for the last 3 days or so but I feel my clothes getting looser. Hopefully the scale will give me some good news soon. I've stuck to the rules other than making sure I get a 30 minute walk in every day. We walked DisneyWorld for about 6 hours Sunday so that makes up for a few days missed!

Its been 7 weeks and I'm down 13 pounds. I gave blood 8 weeks ago and my bp was 129/81 and my total cholesterol was 224. I donated on Sunday and my bp was 102/72 and my cholesterol was 181. I'm still 10% (15 lbs) over my top end ideal weight but these numbers have improved significantly. The poor bp and cholesterol numbers I got from donating blood 8 weeks ago were the kick in the butt I needed to make some changes.

I have been a piscatarian (only seafood, no meat of any kind) for the last 25 years so the cholesterol reduction was in no way related to removing meat from my diet.

My sister started the diet about 2.5 weeks ago and she has lost 7 pounds. Looks like I've got another good stretch ahead of me until I hit my goal weight. About the only thing I really miss is dark chocolate.

I've been toying with the idea of starting the diet. I logged on to their site and after filling out all of the information, they told me that I needed to lose 8#, and I shoud reach the goal in...mmm...a couple of months...or so. That's a lot of dieting for 8#. I admit, those #s are stuck on with super glue and are in places I'd love to be rid of...but only 8#?! I'm still thinking about it. DH just bought 2 cartons of yummy Blue Bell ice cream today. Sigh.

It is inspiring to hear about lowering BP and cholesterol...and the sauces. Thanks!

Has anyone noticed a health difference beyond weight loss? For example, my sneezing, itchy throat allergies are back. I noticed this link for the first time when I went back and forth with Atkins. It seems to be holding true for Dukan.

I've never had allergies but in the last few weeks I have been getting this weird itch/tickle throat thing that appears out of the blue. I have to quickly grab something to drink to calm my throat so I don't go into a coughing fit. As I write this, I realize this hasn't happened much this week. When it was happening, I did notice some post nasal drip so maybe that's the cause. I actually googled "dry cough, Dukan Diet" to see if others had reported the same thing.

Down 15 pounds. Sunday will be 9 weeks.

Buckeye said:
I've never had allergies but in the last few weeks I have been getting this weird itch/tickle throat thing that appears out of the blue. I have to quickly grab something to drink to calm my throat so I don't go into a coughing fit. As I write this, I realize this hasn't happened much this week. When it was happening, I did notice some post nasal drip so maybe that's the cause. I actually googled "dry cough, Dukan Diet" to see if others had reported the same thing.

Down 15 pounds. Sunday will be 9 weeks.

No effects here. Have to confess to taking a couple month hiatus from the diet. But I have maintained my loss, and plan to star up again nov 1.

We've gotten slack a couple of times, and therefore aren't losing any more weight, but haven't gained back either. It runs hot and cold with us, but definitely works, even when we don't follow it every single day. No coughs here, either.

Sunday, 10/30, was the end of my 9th week. Today the scale was good to me and I'm down a total of 16.8 pounds. :dance: I wrote on 10/28 (5 days ago) I was down 15 pounds so I dropped 1.6 pounds in the last 5 days. The good news is my jeans fit since it's getting chilly (low to mid 60's) around here.

About 10 more pounds to go. I'm hoping to lose that by the end of the year at the latest.

The crazy cough is gone and so are the landscapers who were trimming the palm trees in our complex for about 2 weeks straight.

Buckeye said:
Sunday, 10/30, was the end of my 9th week. Today the scale was good to me and I'm down a total of 16.8 pounds. :dance: I wrote on 10/28 (5 days ago) I was down 15 pounds so I dropped 1.6 pounds in the last 5 days. The good news is my jeans fit since it's getting chilly (low to mid 60's) around here.

About 10 more pounds to go. I'm hoping to lose that by the end of the year at the latest.

The crazy cough is gone and so are the landscapers who were trimming the palm trees in our complex for about 2 weeks straight.

Way to go Buckeye. Keep it up and you'll need a new wardrobe from Santa!

Way to go Buckeye. Keep it up and you'll need a new wardrobe from Santa!

I have been shopping in my closet and dresser drawers finding clothes that fit again. DH is working PT for Macy's during the holidays so his additional 20% discount plus losing weight will be a great excuse to do some shopping!

My best purchase lately has been Vera Wang bras at Kohl's. They are the most comfortable bra I have found in a long time including Victoria's Secret (which used to be my favorite). Less than $20 when on sale and with a coupon.

The wife and I jumped on this diet two weeks ago because of this thread. Who'd a thought I'd get dieting info from a FIRE forum. :)

I did the attack for 10 days and lost about 7lbs. Just started phase 2 Saturday. Need to drop 15 lbs. more. Should be there by Jan 1. Then I've got like 3 1/2 months on phase 3, but atleast I can drink a bit of alcohol again. :dance:

Wife only needed to lose 5lbs. Lost 3lbs on 10 day attack. It's much harder to drop weight when you've got so little to lose.

We've been doing steak, sliced ham, turkey, non-fat dairy for the most part. Definitely prefer a protein heavy diet. Don't seem to get the strong hunger panges between meals.

GM

update

We started the first of May this year and so far 43 lbs for me 35 lbs for DH. Not sticking really close but close enough! We really wanted to lose slowly this time and adjust eating habits for the long haul. Now I am planning on some maintenance work on face and body. :LOL:

Bingie said:
We started the first of May this year and so far 43 lbs for me 35 lbs for DH. Not sticking really close but close enough! We really wanted to lose slowly this time and adjust eating habits for the long haul. Now I am planning on some maintenance work on face and body. :LOL:

Nice job x 2. Long term is what it really is all about!

12 weeks, 19.4 pounds, 8 lbs to go.

I know I will be keeping my grain intake low and my protein intake up after the diet is "over." My appetite, energy level, and mood (and body weight) are dramatically improved and it's downright amazing. I experience a lot less hunger than I did when not doing Dukan even though I am currently eating far fewer calories.

My doc is focused on the biochemistry of his patients and advocates an adequate protein (protein gms=bodyweight/2), low carb diet. He and an expert in environmental toxins gave a talk at our complex last weekend and he started by listing the typical daily diet of a woman. It was clear we don't eat nearly enough protein. I know it's true based on my pre-Dukan diet and looking at my husband's diet.

He says patients come to him doing all the fancy stuff like organic food, lots of fruit and veggies, vitamins and other supplements but they don't fulfill their body's basic requirement for protein to make sure they are healthy on a cellular level. He describes this misguided behavior as building a house on a wobbly foundation. After doing Dukan, I better understand what he has been advocating and realize I was falling into the wobbly foundation syndrome.

When I looked into protein content, I actually found it hard to not meet a requirement about half of body weight in grams. I remember finding that unless I ate a _lot_ of fruit and dessert, my regular amounts of non-meats (vegetables, nuts, grains) would provide that much protein.

As an example:

3c. spinach = 124 cal. = 16g protein
2c. brown rice = 437 cal. = 9g protein
1c. black beans = 227 cal. = 15.5g protein
1/4c. peanuts = 207 cal. = 9.5g protein

This is about 1000 calories and 50g protein. I guess it is a bit borderline, but if you add in a very small amount of meat, you can easily make up for whatever protein-less calories you were eating that day.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom