Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

180 lbs and 6'5"?? Dang. I am 6'6" and 235 or so. If I was 180 I think I would look like a hunger strike victim.

I may try this. Stress eating is making me fat(er) and Atkins didnt work well for me last month. I think I ate too much ;-)
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 02:23 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Day 6 of the Attack phase and down 5.7#.

I'm still impressed at how 'not hungry' I am. Yesterday, I had 2 eggs for a late breakfast. Due to a mid-afternoon dentist appt. and some other running around doing errands, didn't eat until I got home after 8pm. I really wasn't hungry, but Dukan says not to skip meals, so I had a burger then and a little yogurt with oatbran for 'dessert'.

omni
make sure you eat enough protein, if you dont you will lose muscle mass as well as fat.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally got around to reading the book, and I really was impressed by it. A lot of good information and I'm looking forward to trying the exercises he suggests. I also appreciated him extolling the virtues of walking. Anyone else tried the exercises?

The recipes also look quite good, especially the sauces, as we're getting tired of the same-old, same-old proteins and veggies with just herbs and spices.

I am planning a brief hiatus for this Wed-Sun, while we are at a music festival, where we will drink beer and eat some carbs, but DH surprised me by asking me to bring some of our "Dukan foods" as well as the light rum we've been drinking sparingly with no-cal flavored water every now and again.

My report is thus: we started this on the 27th of June, and in less than a month, we've each lost 18 pounds. That is just remarkable to me. I am astonished at how easy it is to feel full and not anxious about food.

I made the galette for the first time today--pretty good, despite my not reading the directions to whip the egg whites first.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I am planning a brief hiatus for this Wed-Sun, while we are at a music festival, where we will drink beer and eat some carbs, but DH surprised me by asking me to bring some of our "Dukan foods" as well as the light rum we've been drinking sparingly with no-cal flavored water every now and again.
Back when I was doing a fair amount of backpacking and wanted the most bang for my buck, I used to carry some Everclear, which with a few granules of Crystal Lite made about as low a weight and calorie liquid buzz as I've ever achieved. Plus, it was always useful as an antiseptic in an emergency.

Me, I'm going to eat salads and chicken on a stick this year. I figure if I stay away from the corndogs I can drink a few extra beers.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

You must provided proof of at least one corn dog consumed or it isn't Floydfest! Ask DH about ruining my stalking of Wm. Walter one year by handing me a fresh corndog while I was chatting him up! Aghhhhhh! Totally ruined what cool I was working!
Everclear...I remember vaguely drinking that in PJ more than a few times. And the old plug a watermelon with rum trick too. But drinking it straight flavored with drink crystals? Ugh!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

My report is thus: we started this on the 27th of June, and in less than a month, we've each lost 18 pounds. That is just remarkable to me. I am astonished at how easy it is to feel full and not anxious about food.
Hello,

Ditto

DW lost 15lbs and I lost 13lbs in a month. Had family in from out of town last week and kind of got off track (drinking and eating out) but only put on about 2lbs each.

Really easy and really works. We have been eating a ton more fish, chicken and pork.

See ya,

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #147
Dryer sheet wannabe

It may not be fair to Dukan, but I'm a little disenchanted with the diet. If you read my earlier posts, I was actually losing weight with higher fat than recommended (yogurt, cream, butter, olive oil skin-on chicken).

When I tried to go low fat, I failed miserably. I never figured out how to 'dry-fry' the pancakes or eggs. I felt terrible physically, including feeling hungry all the time, and was foggy mentally. The most unhealthy part is that I would have put up with those issues if I continued to lose weight. I've since upped my fat intake again, and feel normal again. I also hate that it's summer and I'm missing out on local peaches and blueberries. So, I've decided to relax a bit on the diet, by moving to phase 3 temporarily. I hope this will be enough freedom to eat a wider variety as opposed to eating whatever i want and gaining all the weight back.

I'll end with a summary of my results thus far:

12/26/2010 162 lb; chest 38 waist 33 hips 41; size 12
5/2/2011 162lb started Dukan. Took no other measurements so use dec starting nos.
5/23/2011 152lb; waist 31 hips 39
6/13/2011 149lb; 36-31-40
7/15/2011 148lb; 34.5-30.5-39
8/5/2011 148lb; 34.5-31-39.5 size 8/Med
banister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Wow, banister, it looks like you have figured out a way to adapt the diet to what suits you, and being a size 8 is pretty darned good. I think you have to do what helps you stick to the overall diet, especially if the additions are not affecting your maintenance of the weight loss.

I'm worried that you felt hungry, though, as that seems to be the one thing about Dukan that I can say--I eat whenever I am hungry and really have savored the fresh local veggies we can get right now.

I've been enjoying the recipes in the book, especially the salad dressings (I added some yogurt to the balsamic vinegar one, to make it a bit smoother). If I don't work to try new recipes, I'll wind up eating a couple of boiled eggs and turkey bacon every day for lunch, which is what I ate 4 days in a row this week!

We surely and truly went off the diet wagon for our 6 days at the hippie music festival, gaining 6 pounds each in the process. But, we started back upon our return and dropped those 6 pounds in 4 days. Happy days.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 PM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been on several trips recently and each one caused me to gain a few pounds due to airport food limitations and meals with friends. I eat whatever the host has prepared (an upbringing thing). But as soon as I can get back home and control my diet, the weight just drops right off.

I just restart the Attack Phase and consistently lose a pound a day. And I'm not hungry.

Just had some spicy chicken thigh meat sliced and put atop a bowl of Shirataki tofu noodles. Tasty and filling.

I'm happy to have discovered this diet.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #150
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Sarah,
The only reason I can think of that I was hungry is because I wasn't used to following the diet as prescribed. E.g., I was used to eating two baked, skin-on chicken thighs. When I switched to following the diet exactly, I took the skin off and blotted any fat. So, I actually needed three chicken thighs to fill me up, but was still only eating two.

I'm glad the dressing is working out. I'll have to try it.

Glad you are hanging in there!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #151
Dryer sheet wannabe

Has anyone noticed a health difference beyond weight loss? For example, my sneezing, itchy throat allergies are back. I noticed this link for the first time when I went back and forth with Atkins. It seems to be holding true for Dukan.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #152
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I've been on several trips recently and each one caused me to gain a few pounds due to airport food limitations and meals with friends. I eat whatever the host has prepared (an upbringing thing). But as soon as I can get back home and control my diet, the weight just drops right off.

I just restart the Attack Phase and consistently lose a pound a day. And I'm not hungry.

Just had some spicy chicken thigh meat sliced and put atop a bowl of Shirataki tofu noodles. Tasty and filling.

I'm happy to have discovered this diet.
Keep up the good work!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

As for health issues, I woke up a couple of mornings with leg cramps, which is unusual, but seemed to have gone away now.
Banister, I wonder if there is something you are eating that is causing the allergic reaction? Maybe that you didn't eat when you weren't on the diet?

I've found that I lose more weight, more steadily, when I really make an effort to drink more water during the day. I made the souffle that was listed on the Dukan Facebook page the other night and DH loved it! Still tinkering with the sauces, but I'm just not all that much of a whisk hand, unfortunately. We've added back an old breakfast standby from the past, protein shakes, which I know are a "food" of last resort to Dukan, but sometimes it is just hard to make breakfast every day. We just mix the regular whey powder with milk and add in a Crystal light single if we want a different flavor. I try to limit these to about once a week, though.

In 6 weeks, I've lost 21 pounds and DH has lost 23 lbs, taking into account the week we put on 6 pounds at the festival.

Zero, I've not tried the Shirataki noodles before, but I may give them a shot soon.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #154

Any updates from the Dukan Dieters?

I started the Dukan diet August 28th and did the Attack phase for 8 days losing 4 pounds. My starting weight was 177 pounds and my goal weight is 150 pounds. I have gained 17 pounds since moving to the Tampa Bay area two years ago and it needs to come off. Between menopause and being more sedentary (no longer walking a big plant all day), my weight was going up, up, up!

It's too hot around here to be carrying extra weight and I was beginning to see my BP creep up. It had always been below 120/80 but now I was getting regular readings around 128/84. After one week on the Dukan Diet, my BP readings are back in the 115/75 range.

Like others, I haven't felt hungry and I have bundles of energy. Fish and dairy has been my main source of protein (I think I'm growing gills and udders) as I've eaten fish but no other meat for the last 25 years. My skinny, carb-loving DH is out-of-town with the Red Cross for up to 3 weeks so it has been easy to only have Dukan-friendly items around.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #155
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DW went on the diet in July. I lost 10 lbs.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
DW went on the diet in July. I lost 10 lbs.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

We're still on it, albeit with a total fall-off-the-wagon Labor Day weekend behind us. I get lazy about cooking, so we tend to eat the same things a lot, but it is easy to stay on it at home. I like the diet, because I don't tend to crave carbs and sugar all that much. It is a bit harder to accommodate going out with friends, but we can usually work it out by "bending" the rules to include lower calorie drinking options and salads for meals.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #158

Went to Bonefish tonight for dinner at the invitation of my "new" Grandma and her son who is visiting from PA. Normally, I would have had at least one Cosmo (the bartender there makes the BEST Cosmos) and the bread and dipping oil. I was good and skipped both. Lots of calories avoided.

I had Ahi tuna and some veggies. Didn't touch the rice. Again, calories avoided.

First meal out was a success. I was down 4.5 pounds on the morning of the 9th day.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #159

Down 7 pounds after 3 weeks. Haven't lost any for the last 3 days or so but I feel my clothes getting looser. Hopefully the scale will give me some good news soon. I've stuck to the rules other than making sure I get a 30 minute walk in every day. We walked DisneyWorld for about 6 hours Sunday so that makes up for a few days missed!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #160

Its been 7 weeks and I'm down 13 pounds. I gave blood 8 weeks ago and my bp was 129/81 and my total cholesterol was 224. I donated on Sunday and my bp was 102/72 and my cholesterol was 181. I'm still 10% (15 lbs) over my top end ideal weight but these numbers have improved significantly. The poor bp and cholesterol numbers I got from donating blood 8 weeks ago were the kick in the butt I needed to make some changes.

I have been a piscatarian (only seafood, no meat of any kind) for the last 25 years so the cholesterol reduction was in no way related to removing meat from my diet.

My sister started the diet about 2.5 weeks ago and she has lost 7 pounds. Looks like I've got another good stretch ahead of me until I hit my goal weight. About the only thing I really miss is dark chocolate.