Join Early Retirement Today

Dukan Diet anyone?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dukan Diet anyone?

I am considering the Dukan diet, and am wondering if anyone has tried it? If so, would oyu care to share the pros and cons, as well as success? Seems a bit like the old Atkins diet, and still considering, but parts are appealing...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It looks like it could be tasty.

http://tinyurl.com/3eb4s5h

http://tinyurl.com/3me6zul

Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

DUKAN DIET-- not Dunkin donut diet- we WISH that was it! :-)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never heard of it. Can you provide any more information?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #5

Info is here: OFFICIAL US WEBSITE of The Dukan Diet

Essentially, you kick start the diet by eating protiens and nofat dairy for 2-5 days, then introduce veggies for the duration to get you to goal. Quantities are all you want, with no counting of any kind. Add to that 1.5 quarts of water per day.

After that, you introduce fruits and other foods.

Fad diet- probababy. But I wonder about no fruits for such a period.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #6

You could read some Gary Taubes, his books discuss the idea of radically restricting carbs in much the same way this diet seems to. I know some people for whom an approach like this helped them lose considerable weight, and others who couldn't stay on such a low carb diet, or who were often confused about what foods were allowed or not, so never really tried it, although they thought they did. I have no idea about the health impact of such a diet. There are some long term diabetic diets that rely on low (perhaps not as low as this) carbs. I don't know of any reliable information about longer term health affects of using such low carb approaches. It seems to me that some people take to it better than others. Personally I suspect there is more individual variation in human metabolism than usually acknowledged. You have to find what works for you, yourself.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
gone traveling

Look at the pictures of the future princess (a/o this Friday), along with her mum.

Works for them!

The Royal Wedding diet: The secrets behind Kate Middleton's slim figure - mirror.co.uk
Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

bizlady, I say go for it. Looks like lots of folks have had nice results and if the French are embracing this diet I think that is a good sign.

Kate Middleton should write a diet book, she did something exactly right.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Look at the pictures of the future princess (a/o this Friday), along with her mum.

Works for them!

The Royal Wedding diet: The secrets behind Kate Middleton's slim figure - mirror.co.uk

She does look nice and slim... but I read this...

"She was a size 10 to 12 when she was at university – but experts reckon she’s now a size 6."

IMO a 6 is not thin, but a real nice shape... 10 to 12 is getting some lbs on....
Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

"She was a size 10 to 12 when she was at university – but experts reckon she’s now a size 6."

IMO a 6 is not thin, but a real nice shape... 10 to 12 is getting some lbs on....
Not in the before picture shown. She looks hot hot hot. Only a psycho or a gay would have turned her down.

Ha
Old 04-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No wonder so many women suffer from eating disorders.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

If it is English sizes, these run smaller than US sizes...so 10-12 is more like an 8-10 and a 6 is a US 4.

Bizlady -- if you try this diet, let us know how the results are. :-)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #13

She looked much healthier before. Hope she isn't working herself into an eating disorder.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #14

I had lunch today with a friend who is doing the Dukan diet and he looks great after 19 days on the diet. Looks like he is 10 years younger.

He said he lost 5.5 lbs the first week, 4.5 the second week and 3 so far in this week. He is 6'2" and was 202 and is shooting for 170.

I have to say, I'm very tempted to try it. I'm 6'6" and weighed in at 207 this morning, so I could use about 20+ lbs of fat loss.

Very tempting and reading the blog below, I think I could stick to a diet of just chicken, fish, and lean steak, etc.
Dukan diet Cruise Phase (Phase 2) week 21
Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Zero, did you decide to try this? After seeing your post and a TV piece about it, I ordered the book and am just starting day 3. So far so good. It's basically Atkins or Protein Power with a few changes that I hope will work well for me. Emphasis on low-fat protein, nonfat dairy is included, vegetables are OK early on (every other day), a required walk every day. And a real emphasis on how to safely go back to normal food (which has always been my downfall).
Old 05-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm Rrr View Post
Zero, did you decide to try this? After seeing your post and a TV piece about it, I ordered the book and am just starting day 3. So far so good. It's basically Atkins or Protein Power with a few changes that I hope will work well for me. Emphasis on low-fat protein, nonfat dairy is included, vegetables are OK early on (every other day), a required walk every day. And a real emphasis on how to safely go back to normal food (which has always been my downfall).
Good luck, and hope it works for you. I agree, it's a lot like a low fat Atkins.

I did start on the diet and I have stuck to it very closely but I did have one or two minor slips. I have lost 9 lbs so far and at least 2 inches off the waist. My pants will fall off if not held up with a belt.

My daily routine does not vary much and I'm just about to end the Attack Phase.

Breakfast = 2 eggs worth of Southwestern Eggbeaters, about 1 oz of ham cubes, and 2 TBs of oat bran flavored with butter spray and salt/pepper.

Lunch = a chicken thigh with no fat or skin, seasoned with soul food salt, about a 1/4 cup of 0% fat cottage cheese. Alternate day is usually a piece of steak with very low fat.

Snack = handful of ham cubes or sliced deli turkey cold cuts.

Dinner = Fish, usually salmon or halibut or tuna steak. Alternate day is usually a hamburger steak with 10% fat ground sirloin.

I am never hungry. It is amazing to eat so little and not be hungry.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Relevant to the non-fat milk part:

Is Skim Milk Making You Fat? - Food on Shine
Old 05-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #18

I think I will give this a try in late June when hubby is away on his fishing trip- or he will think he can eat all the meat he wants plus everything else! I am having a hard time finding the oatbran however- local stores do not seem to carry it...

Will probably use it as a kick start, and switch then to something more balanced.

Would love to hear more how Zero and Mmm Rrr are doing on the diet!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe that fat is not the enemy to weight loss. Most agree that a high carb diet will cause weight gain and insulin resistance as we age. Did you know that eating low fat, low carb, high protein does the same in some people. Protein, though inefficient, converts to glucose much the same as carbs.

Personally I eat a high fat, VLC, and moderate protein diet. Plenty of heavy cream, butter, coconut oil. I love fatty cuts of meat and pork. I try to stay away from chicken as it is high in omega 6's (dark meat and skin) and white meat chicken is way to low in fat for me. Everyone is different, but this works well for me.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Diet
Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Diet

We started the diet on May 10. DH is down 12 pounds fron 200 and me just 6 pounds from __. This diet is not for the faint of heart, very rough. I don't think we will make it much longer and will probably switch to Weight Watchers for the long haul. The Dukan diet is too restrictive and meat is becoming sickening. All that COOKING/GRILLING is also becoming too much.