Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Talk about irradiation....

Isn't milk irradiated over in Europe When I was there, you could buy milk in a carton sitting on the shelf with everything else.... it was not refrigerated...

Once you opened it, you did refrigerate.....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 05:36 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Even the chickens that are raised for their "parts" all look the same and are the same size.
Breast filets are trimmed and sized at the poultry processing facility to meet specifications of these restaurants.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Breast filets are trimmed and sized at the poultry processing facility to meet specifications of these restaurants.
And the chicken wings?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Isn't milk irradiated over in Europe When I was there, you could buy milk in a carton sitting on the shelf with everything else.... it was not refrigerated...

That milk may just be heated to a higher temperature than regular pasteurized milk. Dollar Tree used to sell the unrefrigerated milk in cardboard cartons. It was from a Utah company - Mormons typically stockpile food.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Is that why every piece of boneless chicken breast looks the same size and shape at Olive Garden/Applebees/Chili's etc.?

DH's mom sent us a gift card for Chili's/Macaroni Grill/Maggiano's. Last time she did that we tried Macaroni Grill and I thought it was just like Olive Garden only pretentious.
I have noticed the same thing, except I love Olive Garden's all you can eat salad. Being a dare-devil the 2 of us will eat 2 and sometimes 3 bowls of salad with the meal... Never got food poisoning there... yet...
Old 12-27-2015, 06:36 PM   #146

Quote:

You can get Soy Milk at Costco like that, very handy for camping trips as refrigeration is a precious thing.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
The processing plant for chick filet had a picture of South America on the wall...I kid you not!

If you can avoid it, never visit a chicken disassembly operation.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have noticed the same thing, except I love Olive Garden's all you can eat salad. Being a dare-devil the 2 of us will eat 2 and sometimes 3 bowls of salad with the meal... Never got food poisoning there... yet...
Google "food poisoning Olive Garden"

Won't be going back there anytime soon!
Old 12-27-2015, 08:45 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I doubt that this is true. I have had food poisoning at least once/year, including salmonella once known. I have been hit driving 3 times, 2 pretty serious with injuries and car destruction, the third one enough to destroy a new car, but no injuries. Clearly though, I am not dead.

I do know one parent who lost a child to E Coli from a fast food place, but of course I know more than one family with deaths from car crashes.

Ha
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're obviously one of those people that let facts get in the way of a good statistic. I sort of meant that you have a much better chance of dying from in a car wreck than from food poisoning, although that certainly wasn't what I said. Still, I don't worry anywhere near as much about getting food poisoning as I do about getting into a car. As you say, you get food poisoning off and on in life, and almost always survive.

According to the CDC, 48 million people get foodborne illnesses each year (1 in 6). However, only 128K are hospitalized, and only 3K die. Those are pretty good odds of survival. It mostly turns food borne illness into an inconvenience, as opposed to a mortality worry.

That being said, I'm holding on to my Chipotle gift card until it sounds like they've made the appropriate changes in their food handling and purchasing processes.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I just saw the previous post - not appropriate for lettuce, so some other solutions are needed, like just better controls at the source for now?
I'm fairly sure that a short soak in a mild vinegar solution does a great job of killing off the vast majority of bacteria and (as a bonus) the water-soluble chemicals. Then a rinse and we're done. Keep them cool until serving and I doubt there'd be much chance of decolonization. Simple, cheap, quick, and could be done at the field, at a central location, or the store/restaurant. Maybe all of these--any step in the chain interested in avoiding a lawsuit and loss of business.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're obviously one of those people that let facts get in the way of a good statistic. I sort of meant that you have a much better chance of dying from in a car wreck than from food poisoning, although that certainly wasn't what I said. Still, I don't worry anywhere near as much about getting food poisoning as I do about getting into a car. As you say, you get food poisoning off and on in life, and almost always survive.

According to the CDC, 48 million people get foodborne illnesses each year (1 in 6). However, only 128K are hospitalized, and only 3K die. Those are pretty good odds of survival. It mostly turns food borne illness into an inconvenience, as opposed to a mortality worry.

That being said, I'm holding on to my Chipotle gift card until it sounds like they've made the appropriate changes in their food handling and purchasing processes.
You are certainly correct. Crashes are a much bigger problem than food poisoning.

Ha
Old 12-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess for me, this is really a non-issue. The last article I saw was late December and it reported an incidents from way back in November. If I had a bad immune system, I might not eat there (or really anywhere)..else I think its a non-issue. Its always a green veggie not washed and or contaminated.. ie has no one remembered the massive Spinach recall which impacted I think every piece of spinach in the US... I always suspect, improper washing of hands, which means you always need to look at WHO is serving you, how clean the place is.. I can honestly say I almost always go to the bathroom in a new place first, check that out, if its disgusting, walk right back out.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'm fairly sure that a short soak in a mild vinegar solution does a great job of killing off the vast majority of bacteria and (as a bonus) the water-soluble chemicals. Then a rinse and we're done. Keep them cool until serving and I doubt there'd be much chance of decolonization. Simple, cheap, quick, and could be done at the field, at a central location, or the store/restaurant. Maybe all of these--any step in the chain interested in avoiding a lawsuit and loss of business.
I just skimmed this, but it looks like straight vinegar will help against some bugs, but they don't mention the 026 strain of e.coli that was the source in this Chipotle issue:

CDC - Disinfection & Sterilization Guideline:Bio Agents - HICPAC

Quote:
Some environmental groups advocate "environmentally safe" products as alternatives to commercial germicides in the home-care setting. These alternatives (e.g., ammonia, baking soda, vinegar, Borax, liquid detergent) are not registered with EPA and should not be used for disinfecting because they are ineffective against S. aureus. Borax, baking soda, and detergents also are ineffective against Salmonella Typhi and E.coli; however, undiluted vinegar and ammonia are effective against S. Typhi and E.coli 53, 332, 333. Common commercial disinfectants designed for home use also are effective against selected antibiotic-resistant bacteria 53.
-ERD50
Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Other than E coli, Cyclospora outbreaks have also occurred frequently. This parasite is found in imported produce, and is the cause of "traveler's diarrhea". It is usually not lethal, but has caused some people to have diarrhea lasting two months. Yikes!

As the source of Cyclospora in imported produce is at the grower, produce bought at supermarkets is just as susceptible as served in restaurants. And the oocysts of Cyclospora are not affected by usual chlorine concentration of drinking water, which by the way makes drinking tap water in third-world countries risky. It's a good thing Cyclospora infection is usually not life-threatening.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:53 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

I walked past a Chipotle today at late lunchtime, and the line was out to the door. Obviously it's not stopping a lot of people. I had left my gift card home or I might have gone for it.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #156

Oh yeah, they used to give you a free burrito with each gift card purchase this time of year.

And it was only this time of year.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And the chicken wings?
Specifications on chicken wings specify the number per pound. The lower the count per pound the larger the wings. Hooters has some of the largest wings (and other parts).
Old 12-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Nope, except when Chernobyl fallout wafted over the German pastures and the cows ate the radioactive grass.

As noted, the milk is UHT milk which is available also in the US.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

I don't buy organic and I don't wash my vegetables. I figure that small challenges to my immune system are good for it.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Nope, except when Chernobyl fallout wafted over the German pastures and the cows ate the radioactive grass.

As noted, the milk is UHT milk which is available also in the US.
Thanks...

I know that it was not available in the US many years ago... in fact, I have not seen it sold here yet....

I thought the milk tasted the same... and it would seem to be cheaper to ship and sell than refrigerated milk.... must be the milk lobby that keeps it like it is here....