E coli Mexican Grill

Produce grown in other countries are often fertilized with fertilizer that you do not want to eat, and could be the cause of much of the e-coli issues here in the US.

You beat me to it. Exactly what I was thinking.

The primary source of e-coli is feces...a nice, natural fertilizer; it's biodegradable doncha-no. Gimme that chemical fertilizer going forward!

One more reason to eat at home. When you eat a salad prepared by someone else, you have to trust that everyone in the food chain utilized good hand hygiene. When you buy the salad fixings, you have the opportunity to wash them and interrupt the cascade of errors. Better still is to grow them yourself, and avoid contamination in the first place. Given that I do not have a garden, my best solution is to buy local whenever possible.

Think about this: what about the patron in front of you at the salad bar? What is on those tongs? For the squeamish reading this thread, think about that! The tongs at a salad bar are horrible! I've seen people come right out of the bathroom and go right to the tong. Talk about disgusting.

I go to salad bars but usually wash my hands or sanitize after assembling the salad.

Will washing the fruits and vegetables clean off e-coli? Unless it is antibiotic soap, I doubt it.

Produce grown in other countries are often fertilized with fertilizer that you do not want to eat, and could be the cause of much of the e-coli issues here in the US.

There have been cases of non-US produce causing issues. A few years back cilantro from MX was implicated due to human feces found in the field.

However, in this case it was USA based produce. And as I mentioned a while back, I've witnessed signs of workers in the USA defecating in or near the fields too. Don't think everything is so perfect here. It isn't.

We rarely eat out. And at home, we wash all vegetable and fruit before consumption and pay more care if it is to be eaten raw.

We eat out every day, but not at restaurants like Chipotle. Mostly we eat at long established neighborhood "mom and pop" restaurants. Local restaurants in New Orleans are highly competitive, and seldom survive the first few years even if people don't get sick at them. So, it's not surprising to me that we do not get sick from eating out here.

Washing fruits and vegetables is something that I thought everybody did, and that I learned as a small child by watching my mother wash them. Like many little girls, I wanted to grow up to be just like my mother and that included washing fruits and vegetables.

Think about this: what about the patron in front of you at the salad bar? What is on those tongs? For the squeamish reading this thread, think about that! The tongs at a salad bar are horrible! I've seen people come right out of the bathroom and go right to the tong. Talk about disgusting.

I go to salad bars but usually wash my hands or sanitize after assembling the salad.

There have been cases of non-US produce causing issues. A few years back cilantro from MX was implicated due to human feces found in the field.

However, in this case it was USA based produce. And as I mentioned a while back, I've witnessed signs of workers in the USA defecating in or near the fields too. Don't think everything is so perfect here. It isn't.

Great comment, I hate buffets and salad bars for that same reason. And pot luck work food...

The USA ag workers are not immune to bad habits, often the workers come from a place where sanitation is non-existent. If I was in the field, I doubt I would go looking for a latrine either.

Ok here is another one you may have missed. Think about what goes in the front section of the shopping carts at your grocery store. Yes, the place where you put your food items. That little flip down panel which catches any drippings from diapers that are a little bit past change time. Such a great place to place that lunch meat package, which you will grab with your washed hands when making a sandwich.

Now there's a franchisee with exquisite timing! He probably started the process about a year ago....poor bum.
They have no franchise stores. All corporate. I've never been a fan of paying $32 for a burrito, so no loss for me.

Might be a good stock to short, though. ;)

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Most of the e-coli at Chipotles and other places is related to workers not washing their hands enough.
Including grocery stores, wholesale food distributors, etc. There is currently an E.Coli alert regarding grocery store celery sold in grocery stores in California, Colorado, Missouri, Montana, Utah, Virginia and Washington.

Last edited:
More than 80% of the reported E. Coli illnesses were traced to beef and vegetables, according to a new report on foodborne illness. Salmonella, meanwhile, is transmitted in many different kinds of foods, including seeded vegetables, eggs, fruits, chicken, sprouts, beef and pork.
E. Coli Salmonella Contamination: CDC FDA Outline Where They Travel

And BTW, washing fruits & vegetables may remove e coli bacteria from the surface, but e coli contamination can run deeper than that via several mechanisms. Only (controversial?) irradiation and cooking can positively eliminate e coli contamination. However, vigorous washing can reduce/eliminate salmonella exposure from fruits & vegetables.

A nice article about the Chipotle mess... It can be deadly, and cause long term health issues.

His dinner was made of 21 ingredients, including toasted cumin, sautéed garlic, fresh organic cilantro, finely diced tomatoes, two kinds of onion, romaine lettuce, and kosher salt. It tasted as good as always.

By the next night, Collins’s body was aching and his stomach was upset. Then he began experiencing cramping and diarrhea. His stomach bloated. “Moving gave me excruciating pain,” he says, “and anytime I ate or drank it got worse.” His diarrhea turned bloody. “All I was doing was pooping blood. It was incredibly scary.” After five days, he went to an urgent-care clinic near his home; the nurse sent him to an emergency room. He feared he might have colon cancer.

On Halloween, the ER doctor called him at home: Collins had Shiga-toxin-producing E. coli 026, and he’d likely gotten it from one of those 21 ingredients in his meal at Chipotle. (This was later confirmed by public-health officials.) The doctor warned him that kidney failure was possible; intensive treatment, including dialysis, could be necessary. His kidneys held up, but it took an additional five days for the worst of Collins’s symptoms to ease and nearly six weeks for him to recover. He still doesn’t have as much physical strength as he used to, and he feels emotionally shaky, too. “Before, I was doing the P90X workouts. For a long time after, I couldn’t even walk a few blocks,” he says. “It made me feel old and weak and anxious.” On Nov. 6, Collins sued Chipotle, seeking unspecified damages.

Inside Chipotle?s Contamination Crisis

Yes, I saw the above passage about possible kidney failure. Dialysis for life is a steep price to pay for a burrito. Of course, it may happen with a home meal too. Yikes!

Then he began experiencing cramping and diarrhea. His stomach bloated. “Moving gave me excruciating pain,” he says, “and anytime I ate or drank it got worse.” His diarrhea turned bloody. “All I was doing was pooping blood. It was incredibly scary.” After five days, he went to an urgent-care clinic http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-chipotle-food-safety-crisis/

What?!?!? People might blame high deductible policies for delaying or going without medical care....but having bloody diarrhea (even "all I was doing was pooping blood") and having excruciating pain takes them 5 days just to go to an urgent care clinic!?!?!? After just 12 hours of that, my behind would be in the ER immediately!

Well, it's not Chipotle's fault. It's a terrorist attack by the biotech industry.

*Warning - Extreme Nuttiness at the following website. Drinking fluids while reading may cause explosive nasal expulsions*

ANALYSIS: Chipotle is a victim of corporate sabotage... biotech industry food terrorists are planting e.coli in retaliation for restaurant's anti-GMO menu - NaturalNews.com
I just love these conspiracy theorists. So predictable:

Chipotle's e.coli outbreaks are not random chance. They are the result of the biotech industry unleashing bioterrorism attacks against the only fast food company that has publicly denounced GMOs.

How do we know? The CDC has already admitted that some of these e.coli outbreaks involve a "rare genetic strain" of e.coli not normally seen in foods.

So the best way to cover your tracks is to use a unique strain of e. coli? Ummm, wouldn't that by itself raise suspicion?

Same thing with some 'chem-trail' nuts I read about. On one hand, it's a big secret conspiracy to spray chemicals on everyone (the contrails - condensation trails we all see from jet aircraft). But then they go on to say that it is obvious - just look at all the 'chem-trails' that never existed before!

Well, if they want to keep it secret, why do they make it obvious? Why not spray at night, and on overcast days?

They need to be bopped up-side the head with Occam's Razor.

-ERD50

If ya'll think you're OK getting your stuff <wherever:home, restaurant #2>, I've got news for you: you are not. Not when the people picking the stuff are making slave wages and dragging waste through the fields on their feet.

I don't believe e-coli can be controlled by paying higher wages. Our food supply in the US comes from all over the world. You will be better off with your raw food consumption by washing it well. If eating in a restaurant you take your chances. Your call.

Cheers!

I don't believe e-coli can be controlled by paying higher wages. Our food supply in the US comes from all over the world. You will be better off with your raw food consumption by washing it well. If eating in a restaurant you take your chances. Your call.
Washing helps with a lot of bacteria and other contaminants, but E. coli can't always be washed off. Obviously if washing was enough, Chipotle and most other restaurants wouldn't have had incidents...

Washing helps with a lot of bacteria and other contaminants, but E. coli can't always be washed off. Obviously if washing was enough, Chipotle and most other restaurants wouldn't have had incidents...
I wonder if a no-rinse sanitizer would help. The weak chlorine bleach solution was mentioned, but that's pretty horrific to smell/taste. I wonder if Starsan or Iodaphor would work? I actually took a sip of Starsan one time, just to be able to identify it as an off-flavor. Not bad...a little sour is all. I doubt if you dunked your produce in Starsan and spun it off, you'd be able to detect it.

I wonder if a no-rinse sanitizer would help. The weak chlorine bleach solution was mentioned, but that's pretty horrific to smell/taste. I wonder if Starsan or Iodaphor would work? I actually took a sip of Starsan one time, just to be able to identify it as an off-flavor. Not bad...a little sour is all. I doubt if you dunked your produce in Starsan and spun it off, you'd be able to detect it.
Somebody here mentioned in passing, almost as a joke. But the answer is irradiation. A big push was in place 20 years ago or so, but it got nowhere due to public outcry. Meanwhile, that same public is happy to get CAT scans for every bump and bruise. Go figure...

I suspect when every bacteria colony becomes a supergerm we have no defense against, irradiation will be palitable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

Food irradiation is the process of exposing food to ionizing radiation, energy that is transmitted to the food without direct contact capable of stripping electrons from the food.[1]

This treatment is used to preserve food, reduce the risk of food borne illness, prevent the spread of invasive pests, and delay or eliminate sprouting or ripening.

Last edited:
I recall a story about irradiating food. There were a series of food taste tests - the reviews were glowing.

No, Starsan, a 'no rinse' sanitizer used by home-brewers (and commercial food processors), won't work for this. Starsan is an acid ( <3.0 pH when mixed), and the acid breaks down the cell walls of the 'bugs'.

But it must be used on a clean surface. Exposing to a lot of material, like an entire head of lettuce would just buffer the pH to near neutral and it would do near nothing. Until it gets diluted, it would probably break down the lettuce cells as much as it does 'bug' cells.

That's how it can be used w/o rinsing - it just gets diluted in the beer/wort, and has no effect. I've used it in the kitchen on surfaces. As you say, there is to much taste to it, and much nicer than Clorox.

-ERD50

Well documented online...
But what about E. coli specifically?

Here is where it gets a little tricky. E. coli can make you sick even when present in very small amounts. So while it is significant that a vinegar rinse could reduce the E.coli counts, there is a chance that you could still get sick from any lingering bacteria. Even more disturbing, E. coli can can create a biofilm once it has attached to produce, which makes it hard to wash off. To top it off, E. coli can penetrate deep into the tissue of the vegetable or fruit, making it impossible to wash off.
Can you wash E. coli off produce? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

So what we are essentially saying here is you can kill yourself by eating healthy.

Deep fried everything ftw.

Well, it's not Chipotle's fault. It's a terrorist attack by the biotech industry.

*Warning - Extreme Nuttiness at the following website. Drinking fluids while reading may cause explosive nasal expulsions*

ANALYSIS: Chipotle is a victim of corporate sabotage... biotech industry food terrorists are planting e.coli in retaliation for restaurant's anti-GMO menu - NaturalNews.com

We have seen a bioterror attack before although not from the biotech industry. Ma Anand Sheela figured prominently in it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Rajneeshee_bioterror_attack

If they were so involved with sourcing their foods, the should know what s**t holes the food is coming from. Someone there looked the other way.

Back
Top Bottom