Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

From the few times I've allowed myself to get sucked into watching that show, I'd say your 'accurate enough' statement leaves a hole wide enough to pitch a galaxy through. I see no interest in accuracy in that program, only 'can we make the audience go "awwww!, oHHHHH! or eWWWW".

Heck, I 'learned' from Oprah that you can save over $200/month just putting some of your stuff on a power strip and turning it off when you don't use it! "oHHHHHH". Unless I'm running the A/C a lot, I don't even have a $200/month bill. That's a lot of 'phantom power', yet, no skepticism, no question of will this really work for others, just acceptance and "oHHHHH!"

What a way to get rich!

BTW, I've been running around with my Kill-a-watt device, and so far I've only found one thing that I thought was worth turning off when not in use. Most everything I've tested just sips power very slightly ( ~ 1W) when 'off'. The ROI on the power strip is non-existent. Environmental-wise, probably more pollution caused by the manufacture of the strip than the wasted power.

-ERD50
I got one of those Kill-a-watt things at somebody (maybe Nords, or T-Al, or CFB's) suggestion, but I love that sucker. It makes me feel so energy efficient even if it is only a few watts to cut the power. Don't be spoiling it for me like that!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I got one of those Kill-a-watt things at somebody (maybe Nords, or T-Al, or CFB's) suggestion, but I love that sucker. It makes me feel so energy efficient even if it is only a few watts to cut the power. Don't be spoiling it for me like that!

I 'love' mine too. I found that one of the kids little shelf stereo used as much 'off' as it did 'on' ( 8W). We unplug it (it's convenient) if it isn't being used daily. It told me that my 17 and 20 YO fridge/freezer seem to be running as well as they did when new. And the advice you get to replace any fridge/freezer that is over ten YO to 'save money'. Nuts to that. There is no ROI in most cases, and what about the environmental cost of producing a new fridge/freezer?

And my new laptop takes about 2 cents to power all day (combination of use/sleep), less than half of my older desktop unit. My printer is less than 1W in standby - I figure the wear and tear of turning it on/off and having it go through another cycle is going to wear it out sooner and it will need replacing - again, more energy than it uses most likely.

I know you put the "" emoticons after the comment about 'spoiling it for you' - but I don't understand what that means. If someone is interested in reducing their impact on the environment, they should want to take the best action. Buying a power strip to save 1W is probably not a net positive for the environment. Probably not a big deal either way. But shouldn't we use the information/data to tell us what the "right thing" is, and then our "feelings" will be in sync with reality?

-ERD50

Old 07-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wait a minute... How did Kill-a-watts and the environment end up in this 'ear cleaning' thread'?

Whew, had to go back - the Oprah connection... OK.

-ERD50
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #44

Oh, I meant that you found most of the stuff you tested didn't "waste" power, meaning that the kill-a-watt didn't find you any huge electricity eaters.
This part:
Most everything I've tested just sips power very slightly ( ~ 1W) when 'off'. The ROI on the power strip is non-existent. Environmental-wise, probably more pollution caused by the manufacture of the strip than the wasted power.

I'm definitely in favor of the environment--heck, I have to live here! I just meant that the device made me feel like I was saving money, even though, like you, I didn't find any massive energy stealers among my paltry numbers of plug-in devices.

Sorry I wasn't clear--didn't mean to make you think I wasn't being rational, as god knows that is all I cling to, most days.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heardoc View Post
Hmmmm, not any incorrect info but accurate enough for Oprah's audience.
. I should have mentioned that I NEVER watch Oprah; I was just channel surfing that day and paused to watch Dr. Oz for a minute or two. Personally, I can't wait until Oprah is off the air since I find most of her topics to be quite boring actually....
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I figured out that I was wasting several KWHr a month keeping a pot of coffee warm. Now I make it one cup at a time and shut it off.

10 KWHr/month doesn't sound like much, but around here that's over $2-- and it sticks out like a sore thumb alongside 80 KWHr/month total consumption.

I wish there was a 240v version of the Kill-A-Watt to use on our electric dryer. But when our kid leaves for college I don't think we'll have to wonder about that power consumption anymore...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

I wish there was a 240v version of the Kill-A-Watt to use on our electric dryer. But when our kid leaves for college I don't think we'll have to wonder about that power consumption anymore...
To continue thread hijack and have nothing to do with ear cleaning:

You could get one more Kill-A-Watt, make a special jumper for 220 with a set of outlets in the middle for each hot leg. Plug in two Kill-A-Watts, read values. You will find often one leg draws more power than the other. Often the drive motors are 110V. Since the heater is non-inductive, the power factor on one side will be better than the other.

Resume ear cleaning.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
You could get one more Kill-A-Watt, make a special jumper for 220 with a set of outlets in the middle for each hot leg. Plug in two Kill-A-Watts, read values. You will find often one leg draws more power than the other. Often the drive motors are 110V. Since the heater is non-inductive, the power factor on one side will be better than the other.
Or I could just read the label plate on the dryer and do the math.

I think the attraction of the Kill-A-Watt is that I can plug it in, forget about it for a few months, and then add the numbers to my spreadsheet. The fact that I'm looking for a 240v version to use on an appliance that only runs a few times a month is probably an indication that I'm running out of data worth collecting.

Next week our kid returns from her month's journeys. Coincidentally her departure/return dates are the same as HECO's reading of our meter. That should be an interesting predictor of our empty-nester power consumption. Maybe I won't care about Kill-A-Watt data collection.

All this collection/analysis time is probably better spent on designing the pergola with its 4KW array on its roof. Until we buy a cheap used EV, though, we have no payback and no compelling reason to tackle the project.

I guess my ears are clean enough too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote