Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I see item #1 (finances) and item #2 (engagement psycho-social) as being all you need to address for "are you ready to retire?" type questions. I don't understand the medical issue being listed. If #1 (finances) is satisfied, then that covers the tail risks of long term nursing home or other medical catastrophes later in life.
To me #3 acknowledges how your health throughout retirement factors in. If you work at taking care of yourself, and maintaining good health, it stands to reason that everything else about your retirement should improve. LTC/end of life is just a (hopefully) small part of "health" during retirement.

Funny how things come full circle. In my final message to my co-workers, I wished them (verbatim):

- excellent health - stay active, body & mind [#3]
- financial freedom - live (well) below your means no matter what your income, and most of all [#1]
- real, enduring happiness - the kind that can only come from within, you can’t buy it. [#4 & #2]

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
This is a very useful thread and cuts to the heart of what I am most afraid of and it isn't running out of money! I attempted to ER this past May and was back at a full time job by July. I "retired" at 59 rather impulsively and then panicked when I felt rudderless. Now I have a firm plan to retire in 2014 (the year I turn 60) and I know more about the psychological challenges I will face.

But here is what I realized; many of us live our entire lives from school age to retirement with some level of external control over our behavior and time. For the most part we willing accept these restrictions. I worked for two college degrees and in return for the diplomas that proclaimed me to be "educated", I exchanged hours of reading, writing and researching in topics that were determined to be essential to my career path. Since then I have willingly exchanged my time and skills to various employers for money but worked within the framework of their needs, schedules and sometimes draconian office politics. Now...for the first time in my adult life, I get to decide how to organize my schedule and how to spend my time. Is it any wonder that this state of freedom doesn't feel natural?

I am approaching this new stage of my life with more compassion (toward me) and know that the transition will take time.
I can totally relate to this. It reminds me of the quote from Shawshank Redemption about prison:

"These prison walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them. That's institutionalized. They send you here for life, that's exactly what they take. The part that counts anyways."

We get so used to the control and routine that we depend on it. I looking forward to "getting out" so I can go looking for the cigar box under the rock next to the wall by the tree...

“If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.” - Warren Miller
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
To me #3 acknowledges how your health throughout retirement factors in. If you work at taking care of yourself, and maintaining good health, it stands to reason that everything else about your retirement should improve. LTC/end of life is just a (hopefully) small part of "health" during retirement.
I see #3 (health) as a concern that exists throughout life. It doesn't begin or end with retirement.
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
The second bullet is what I have yet to figure out and worries me a bit. I have done nothing but work, reach for the brass ring, and chase kids for the last 20 years and had everything else squashed into the limited time left. I don't really know who I will ebcome when freed from the cube, let alone how to get engaged. I am feeling some anxiety about the final departure and a lot of it is centered around this.
Me too. That's what got me started reading this:

Originally Posted by Options View Post
Recommend reading "What Color is Your Parachute for Retirement" by Richard Knowles and John Nelson. Covers all of these issues and more.
Although I only read the preface and chapter 1, I love the engaging writing style.

Continuing on point 2:

Thomas DeLeire, an associate professor of public affairs, population, health and economics at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, recently published research examining nine major categories of consumption. He discovered that the only category to be positively related to happiness was leisure: vacations, entertainment, sports and equipment like golf clubs and fishing poles"
A quote that came from
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Since my experience when I retired was so dramatically different from what you describe (unbridled euphoria ), I have difficulty in comprehending your situation. I can only compare it to stories I've heard about individuals who spend decades in a penitentiary who are finally paroled then immediately commit another crime so they can return to the only life they've ever known. Sad.

I wish you all the best in learning to adjust to life outside the big house workplace.
It is so interesting that you describe it like a prisoner struggling to adjust to life outside because that is exactly what I was thinking too. I even wrote something along those lines initially but thought I was getting a bit wordy, if not overly dramatic!

Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote